Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #1,891 of 2,999
When the case is fully charged (charging light goes out) and the USB cable is removed, isn't the light supposed to light up green to indicate full charge? That's how I understand this information: https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wf1000xm4/v1/en/contents/TP1000241100.html

But for me, it lights up orange, as if it's not fully charged. When I open the lid it does light up green, however, and my phone says both the case and the headphones have 100% charge.

Edit: Plugged it in again, and now it's again lit up orange as if it's charging. Even though supposedly everything was already fully charged. So is this just buggy, or do I have a defective unit?

Edit 2: It charged for like another 10 minutes (even though my phone said they were full) and the light went out, and then I did get the green light when unplugging. So basically they seem to have no idea what their charge level actually is, or when they're fully charged or not. Somehow they (or the case) can simultaneously indicate full charge and not full charge. Very confusing.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,892 of 2,999
Okay, I take back what I said about ANC. I have now changed tips and I'm getting noticeably better passive isolation which has improved ANC. :thumbsup:

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,893 of 2,999
@HarmonicOvertones , honestly the way the charging light "works" is very confusing to me, and a rare miss by Sony with this product. It's not intuitive at all. Apparently the case shows the last charging state before last use (or something - it's still not totally clear to me), so yeah, it's going to be inaccurate just after a charge.

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,895 of 2,999
@HarmonicOvertones , honestly the way the charging light "works" is very confusing to me, and a rare miss by Sony with this product. It's not intuitive at all. Apparently the case shows the last charging state before last use (or something - it's still not totally clear to me), so yeah, it's going to be inaccurate just after a charge.

In the app yes. But the light on the case is supposed to show the actual charging state of itself (or the buds if those are in it) when you open it close the lid. And when you unplug the USB cable it's supposed to be green if everything is fully charged. That seems to not work correctly.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,896 of 2,999
In the app yes. But the light on the case is supposed to show the actual charging state of itself (or the buds if those are in it) when you open it close the lid. And when you unplug the USB cable it's supposed to be green if everything is fully charged. That seems to not work correctly.
I find that mine often do the same, not only when unplugging from fully charged but when i'm just fiddling with the case and open the lid and close it a few times, with the buds inside. The first time it'd light up orange and then subsequent times it'd light up green. I'm assuming it's either a quirk in the way battery reporting is handled or that it's intentionally not fully charging to preserve the battery from degradation.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,897 of 2,999
I find that mine often do the same, not only when unplugging from fully charged but when i'm just fiddling with the case and open the lid and close it a few times, with the buds inside. The first time it'd light up orange and then subsequent times it'd light up green. I'm assuming it's either a quirk in the way battery reporting is handled or that it's intentionally not fully charging to preserve the battery from degradation.

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe it was intentionally not charging to 100%, BUT it only shows the orange light when I unplug it. If I directly after this open the lid it's green, and my phone also shows 100% for both the buds and the case. And I was then able to charge it for about 10 additional minutes (the charging light stayed on for this duration), and THEN when I unplugged it again the light was green. So it was not full after the first "full charge", even though it reported 100% charge to my phone? If it was an overcharge protection thing, why did it let me charge it some more? Or maybe it didn't, and it just acted like it was charging. Confusing. :)

I guess none of this really matters as long as the battery lasts as long as it should etc, I'm just the kind of person who will obsess about anything that doesn't seem like it's working correctly. Immediately makes me think there's some defect in my specific unit.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,898 of 2,999
I guess none of this really matters as long as the battery lasts as long as it should etc, I'm just the kind of person who will obsess about anything that doesn't seem like it's working correctly. Immediately makes me think there's some defect in my specific unit.
Worry less. Listen more. Have fun.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,899 of 2,999
Basically, the light stays orange while the case is charging, and then just turns off when it's done.
Then, when you remove the charging cable, or open the case, the light will show green. (I am not 100% sure I've seen the green light on just removing the cable...I think it just stays off until you open the case.)

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wf1000xm4/v1/en/contents/TP1000241100.html

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,900 of 2,999
Basically, the light stays orange while the case is charging, and then just turns off when it's done.
Then, when you remove the charging cable, or open the case, the light will show green. (I am not 100% sure I've seen the green light on just removing the cable...I think it just stays off until you open the case.)

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wf1000xm4/v1/en/contents/TP1000241100.html

Yes, that's how it supposed to work. And it does, EXCEPT that when I unplug the USB cable (after the charging light has turned off, indicating it's done charging) it lights up orange. Which would indicate it's NOT fully charged. So that's what's weird.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,902 of 2,999
Yes, that's how it supposed to work. And it does, EXCEPT that when I unplug the USB cable (after the charging light has turned off, indicating it's done charging) it lights up orange. Which would indicate it's NOT fully charged. So that's what's weird.
If you are unplugging the cable as soon as the charging light goes off, try waiting awhile after the charging light goes off, and then unplug the cable.
(just conjecture) There may be a variable period where the charge circuit turns off, but the case is still being trickle charged for a period of time to bring it to really "full". I believe it is common that charge circuits will have a grey area where the indicator may be turned off as it has reached a "charge" threshold, which is actually not really 100% yet, and is better for battery health. This should be part of battery management. i.e. wait until a device is 100% (which could take a long time), or shut the indicator off when it is charged enough for normal use? It also looks better.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,903 of 2,999
Ah OK. That is weird.
The connection is solid? I know one of my laptop's USB ports is janky and cuts out sometimes.

If you are unplugging the cable as soon as the charging light goes off, try waiting awhile after the charging light goes off, and then unplug the cable.
(just conjecture) There may be a variable period where the charge circuit turns off, but the case is still being trickle charged for a period of time to bring it to really "full". I believe it is common that charge circuits will have a grey area where the indicator may be turned off as it has reached a "charge" threshold, which is actually not really 100% yet, and is better for battery health. This should be part of battery management. i.e. wait until a device is 100% (which could take a long time), or shut the indicator off when it is charged enough for normal use? It also looks better.

Yeah, but if I then open the lid the light is green. So it's only the light when unplugging that isn't accurate, it seems.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,904 of 2,999
Just tried this, mine also shows an orange light when unplugging after charging. I waited a while after the light had gone off to unplug. Opened the case, green light. Took out earbuds and connected, green light, app shows 100% charge.

I swear there was some wording somewhere in the manual about the light showing the charging state during last use, not necessarily the current one, but I can't find that particular bit now.

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #1,905 of 2,999
Just tried this, mine also shows an orange light when unplugging after charging. I waited a while after the light had gone off to unplug. Opened the case, green light. Took out earbuds and connected, green light, app shows 100% charge.

I swear there was some wording somewhere in the manual about the light showing the charging state during last use, not necessarily the current one, but I can't find that particular bit now.

Alright, thanks for testing!

Well, the case charge level you see in the app is what it was when the headphones were last in it (because the case doesn't communicate directly with the phone), but the light on the case itself should be realtime from what I can tell. It should show the headphones' level if they are in it, and the case level if they're not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back