Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,833 of 3,004
Not being able to make a decision, in the end I bought both (WF-1000XM3 and XM4) with the intention of trying them both and keeping the one I like best. It is true that in comfort, aesthetics, battery and noise cancellation, the XM4 is better, but... the XM3 sounds better without any doubt. More balanced and more resolute in the high frequency area. Therefore, I have returned the XM4.

It is also true that I got a very good fit with the silicone L earplugs and I also find the XM3 very comfortable.

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #1,834 of 3,004
Yep, that's the main reason I bought it. That, the seemingly improved ergonomics (XM3 was a terrible fit for me) and what I expect to be best-in-class ANC in a TWS IEM. But LDAC is the tipping point, in my opinion. I'm primarily a wired IEM/lossless Flac user, so if I'm going to use a wireless IEM for music listening, SBC and AAC BT just don't cut it. Let's hope the wait was worth it.
I have had mine for a few months now. Really like the sound. LDAC improvement over SBC is VERY noticeable. I bought these for bicycling, but have been afraid to try them for that so far, as I am worried they will fall out of my ears. I may try attaching a lanyard of some sort for my initial trial (spring now as bicycling season is over in Michigan for cold weather wimps like me).

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #1,835 of 3,004
How will these be, with all features turned off and connected to this long range transmitter, will I still notice the upgrade from my Cambridge Audio Melomania buds?
1Mii Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter

And hows the comfort when wearing the sony's as some reviews say they are too big and doesn't sit well in the ear and makes the ears sore if worn for a long periods of time,, as I wear my Melomania's pretty much most of the day, near enough all day. But the Melomania buds made my ears sore for quite a few weeks until I got use to them.

Edit:
I have just noticed that the sony's will be using SBC connected to my transmitter,, damn, my current buds use APTX. So this will be a downgrade, so will have to buy a better transmitter

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #1,836 of 3,004
How will these be, with all features turned off and connected to this long range transmitter, will I still notice the upgrade from my Cambridge Audio Melomania buds?
1Mii Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter

And hows the comfort when wearing the sony's as some reviews say they are too big and doesn't sit well in the ear and makes the ears sore if worn for a long periods of time,, as I wear my Melomania's pretty much most of the day, near enough all day. But the melomania buds made my ears sore for quite a few weeks until I got use to them.
Everyone’s ears are different so you’ll have to try it for yourself. I personally find them to be very comfortable for all-day wearing with the SednaEarfits.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #1,838 of 3,004
Which tips are they on the Sony's?

Those are foam tips for the APP taken off the plastic adapter.

IMG_20200518_162643.jpg

IMG_20200518_162351.jpg

1252019877-1855143034.jpg

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #1,839 of 3,004
Not being able to make a decision, in the end I bought both (WF-1000XM3 and XM4) with the intention of trying them both and keeping the one I like best. It is true that in comfort, aesthetics, battery and noise cancellation, the XM4 is better, but... the XM3 sounds better without any doubt. More balanced and more resolute in the high frequency area. Therefore, I have returned the XM4.

It is also true that I got a very good fit with the silicone L earplugs and I also find the XM3 very comfortable.
When using iOS there's no difference between the XM3 vs XM4 (eq'd with AAC), but after LDAC (set to 990kbps) on the the WF-1000XM4 you will hear the difference, AAC on some tracks can distort while on LDAC is very smooth closer to wired IEMs

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,840 of 3,004
So what are the best tips? I did a search and am getting way too many results. Is there a general tip that works best?

My set arrives on Saturday so want to order some.

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,841 of 3,004
So what are the best tips? I did a search and am getting way too many results. Is there a general tip that works best?

Send us your ears and we'll try!

Honestly, everyone hears differently. Some swear by foams, others by silicones, and then there's 10 different companies.

drftr

Dec 1, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #1,842 of 3,004

No "best", going to depend on comfort for YOU, and what you are looking for in signature change as well. I personally enjoy the darker Sony sound. All freq present, but less present treble, warm sound. I recently went back to epro tips, to get more high freq out of the xm4, and have moved the Sony foam tips to my Campfire audio Solaris with AWESOME results. Finally getting the low end response I felt these were missing, even with Comply foam.

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,843 of 3,004
Anyone wanna try my Wavelet EQ to emulate Monarch Mk.II? definitely clear up the bass with stock foam tips.

Attachments

• WFXM4 to Monarch MkII.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #1,844 of 3,004
Hey! New user here (although I'm pretty sure I had an account X years ago - I used to discuss Denon buds back in the day - but it doesn't seem to exist anymore).

Anyway, I just picked these up on Black Friday at a decent discount. I most recently come from the Sennheiser Momentum Free (wireless but with a wire between the buds - which I actually kinda prefer in some ways, although there are downsides as well of course, and it seems like this style doesn't really exist anymore outside of more sports-oriented options), and before that the wired Momentum IEMs. So these are my first true wireless buds. I was debating between these and the Sennheiser MTW2, since I've really enjoyed the Sennheisers I own, but in the end these felt like the more high-end and "complete" choice feature-wise. I tend to want the latest and greatest, and the MTW2 are getting a bit "old", lacking high-res codec support etc. If MTW3 ever happens (who knows what will happen now that Sennheiser have sold off their consumer audio business) I'll probably give those a go, but for now the XM4s felt like the better choice.

Been using them for a few days, and overall I'm pretty impressed. I immediately thought they sounded really good (using LDAC on a Pixel 2 XL), with a very "big" sound. Warm, sure, but not dark or muddied. The lower end has great presence and power, and a bit of EQ easily brings the mids and highs back to where I think they should be. In general I just think these are fun to listen to. Definitely not flat or analytical, but they have an enjoyable musicality to them. I also feel like I can listen to these for longer with no risk of fatigue.

I'm not really a fan of foam tips though, they feel stuffy and too "present" in my ears. These hybrids aren't as bad as pure foam tips, but I really prefer silicon, so I have some Spintip 360s coming in based on recommendations in this thread. They were NOT cheap to get, I'm paying around €50 for two packs (four pairs), which I felt I had to do because I'm not sure which size will be right for my ears (I have weird unmatched ears where I always need larger tips in my right ear than my left). I also wanted to try the Spiral Dots, but those seem pretty much impossible to get a hold of here in Sweden.

Beyond that, the buds are working great. Good connection (they definitely cut out less frequently than my Momentums), good app with a lot of customizability (although I do wish you could control in more detail what single/double/long pressing each bud should do, rather than just having a few preset options), etc. I was maybe a bit disappointed with the ANC, but that's probably just because I've never had any headphones with active noise cancelling before and thought they would cancel more noise than they do. Low frequency humming and rumbling IS very effectively silenced, but higher frequency stuff (human voices etc) don't really seem to be cancelled out any more than with just passive isolation. And I've now understood that's simply a limitation in how ANC works, but yeah, I have to say I think this feature has been oversold as more "magical" than it really is.

I've also noticed the right bud drains noticeable faster than the left. I've only run them down completely once so far, and they mostly stayed within 2-3% of each other, but then the right one was suddenly (well, the next time I checked) at 10% while the left was still at around 25%. But I've understood this is also normal, or at least typical.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,845 of 3,004
Hey! New user here (although I'm pretty sure I had an account X years ago - I used to discuss Denon buds back in the day - but it doesn't seem to exist anymore).

Anyway, I just picked these up on Black Friday at a decent discount. I most recently come from the Sennheiser Momentum Free (wireless but with a wire between the buds - which I actually kinda prefer in some ways, although there are downsides as well of course, and it seems like this style doesn't really exist anymore outside of more sports-oriented options), and before that the wired Momentum IEMs. So these are my first true wireless buds. I was debating between these and the Sennheiser MTW2, since I've really enjoyed the Sennheisers I own, but in the end these felt like the more high-end and "complete" choice feature-wise. I tend to want the latest and greatest, and the MTW2 are getting a bit "old", lacking high-res codec support etc. If MTW3 ever happens (who knows what will happen now that Sennheiser have sold off their consumer audio business) I'll probably give those a go, but for now the XM4s felt like the better choice.

Been using them for a few days, and overall I'm pretty impressed. I immediately thought they sounded really good (using LDAC on a Pixel 2 XL), with a very "big" sound. Warm, sure, but not dark or muddied. The lower end has great presence and power, and a bit of EQ easily brings the mids and highs back to where I think they should be. In general I just think these are fun to listen to. Definitely not flat or analytical, but they have an enjoyable musicality to them. I also feel like I can listen to these for longer with no risk of fatigue.

I'm not really a fan of foam tips though, they feel stuffy and too "present" in my ears. These hybrids aren't as bad as pure foam tips, but I really prefer silicon, so I have some Spintip 360s coming in based on recommendations in this thread. They were NOT cheap to get, I'm paying around €50 for two packs (four pairs), which I felt I had to do because I'm not sure which size will be right for my ears (I have weird unmatched ears where I always need larger tips in my right ear than my left). I also wanted to try the Spiral Dots, but those seem pretty much impossible to get a hold of here in Sweden.

Beyond that, the buds are working great. Good connection (they definitely cut out less frequently than my Momentums), good app with a lot of customizability (although I do wish you could control in more detail what single/double/long pressing each bud should do, rather than just having a few preset options), etc. I was maybe a bit disappointed with the ANC, but that's probably just because I've never had any headphones with active noise cancelling before and thought they would cancel more noise than they do. Low frequency humming and rumbling IS very effectively silenced, but higher frequency stuff (human voices etc) don't really seem to be cancelled out any more than with just passive isolation. And I've now understood that's simply a limitation in how ANC works, but yeah, I have to say I think this feature has been oversold as more "magical" than it really is.

I've also noticed the right bud drains noticeable faster than the left. I've only run them down completely once so far, and they mostly stayed within 2-3% of each other, but then the right one was suddenly (well, the next time I checked) at 10% while the left was still at around 25%. But I've understood this is also normal, or at least typical.

I feel the same about ANC on these. I have the WH-1000XM3 (over ears) and while wearing those in my work canteen I can't hear anything but with these I can still hear people talking. They sound really good though but I wish ANC was better or at least as good as the XM3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back