Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #136 of 2,999
I can vouch for the ANC on my XM4 because my tiny shared backyard has 3 large AC compressors out there that cool each of the 3 units in my building. I sit literally feet away from them. Going from ANC off to ANC on is a noticeable and smile inducing difference. I can still hear birds chirp, but I can barely hear the roaring AC units.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #137 of 2,999
Here are my initial impressions I posted over on the PI7 forum on yesterday:

"So I received my XM4 today. I’ve only been playing with them for a few hours. I’ll go ahead and get this out of the way now, the XM4 are a step down from the PI7 in terms of sound quality. However, they don’t sound bad at all to my ears. Actually VERY good. I wouldn’t describe them as bassy or dark by any means. Bass is very comparable to the PI7. They have that house Sony sound that people either love or hate. A bass boost, relatively flat and lively mids, with a treble roll off. They are definitely on the warm side of neutral. The mids are more present than on the PI7. Vocals are slightly more up front. The PI7s are more detailed with a touch more clarity. The highs are better represented on the PI7s for sure. This is definitely not a blowout though, the XM4 more than hold their own in my opinion. They definitely sound better than what I remember of the Momentum True Wireless 2 and Bose QuietComfort Earbuds. These are just my initial impressions of the sound and they may change as I continue to listen.

On another note, everything else about the XM4 is better than the PI7. I can confirm better ANC, Transparency, Features, Connection strength, and App functIonality. Seriously, the Sony app is one of a kind. The comfort between the two is neck and neck. I will reserve judgement here until I’ve had more long listening sessions with them.

The XM4 definitely holds a magnifying glass up to the PI7 when it comes to some missing features that should be standard for $400 earbuds. For one, can we get the ability to cycle between ANC and transparency without having to go into the app? Sony just kills it with features that actually make sense. Speak to chat is cool, being able to customize the earbud controls, an EQ that saves to the buds themselves, etc.

I can already see why many reviewers are rating these as the best true wireless earbuds overall. The features, functionality, and convenience alone will impress you."

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #138 of 2,999
And here was an update I provided today:

** XM4 Update **

So a couple of quick updates after spending most of the day with the XM4.

1. It takes a little effort with the XM4 to get a good seal for me. I use the medium tips and have to finagle with them for a few seconds. This sucks in comparison to the PI7s which I can get in my ears pretty quickly with just a twist. Once the XM4 are in your ear, they're not moving much though. That's for my ears so your mileage may vary.

2. While the tips are very comfortable for long listening, the bulkiness of the housing can cause some ear pain if not positioned right. I have medium size ears so I get the sense that this wouldn't be an issue for those with larger ears. Because of this, I have to give the edge on comfort to the PI7.

3. After playing with the EQ, I actually prefer the EQ off. Maybe it's just me, but the EQ doesn't feel as effective as it was with it's big brother. I just leave the EQ off and turn DSEE Extreme on. That's the best sound to my ears. Keep in mind I'm on an iPhone and iPad so I'm only getting AAC.

4. I'm still undecided on which I'm going to keep. The PI7s are definitely more comfortable and is a step up in sound. The bass on the PI7 is actually punchier and more visceral. Just very well done without being over done. The PI7 sounds better at higher volumes too. The XM4 gets a little harsh in what sounds like the vocals/upper mids when you crank them up. They do get louder than the PI7 though. The features and fun factor when using the XM4 is just better. It was really cool when my son came into my office today and all I had to do was start talking. My music and and transparency mode kicked in until I was done with the conversation. After we were done talking, one tap of either earbuds started the music back and turned the ANC back on.

If you took the features, usability, and convenience of the XM4 and combined it with the sound and the ability to use the case for a wired connection of the PI7, you'd have almost the perfect true wireless earbuds in my opinion.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #139 of 2,999
yea... previously i could change that with the xm3's but not here: https://imgur.com/a/pdWbJxJ

just a general question, do you guys use DSEE extreme on or off? On for lower quality streaming like soundcloud and youtube?
It is at a different place, look carefully.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #140 of 2,999
And here was an update I provided today:

** XM4 Update **

So a couple of quick updates after spending most of the day with the XM4.

3. After playing with the EQ, I actually prefer the EQ off. Maybe it's just me, but the EQ doesn't feel as effective as it was with it's big brother. I just leave the EQ off and turn DSEE Extreme on. That's the best sound to my ears. Keep in mind I'm on an iPhone and iPad so I'm only getting AAC.
You really need to try LDAC, it is a day and night improvement on SQ.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #142 of 2,999
Don't have much to add that others haven't already, so a random observation... I don't think I have ever had any IEMs with such an incredible magnet... I literally have trouble getting these out of the case!
Yes....me too!

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #144 of 2,999
aw nuts.

my right one went out, wont connect. left one still does, both fully charged in the dock. reset phone etc

anyone know how to factory reset? xm3 was like holding both for 10 seconds in the case but that doesn't seem to work with xm4's?

**edit: I can't find any manual of the WF-1000XM4 on their website. There's some paper manuals in the packaging but no troubleshooting or useful info for forcing a reset.

also pet peeve, I love the eco-friendly packaging, but you can't shut it when it's been open! a little tab or something would have been great so you could shut the two clamshell cardboards..... currently you need to wrap the "paper" graphic back around it but once the seal is broken you need to tape it back shut.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #145 of 2,999
Bit the bullet and ordered WF1kXM4 despite being very happy with MTW2. Anyone tried the Crystal tips by Azla with these? I am not a fan of foam tips which these come with as they make the sound muddy imo.

aw nuts.

my right one went out, wont connect. left one still does, both fully charged in the dock. reset phone etc

anyone know how to factory reset? xm3 was like holding both for 10 seconds in the case but that doesn't seem to work with xm4's?
https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wf1000xm4/v1/en/contents/TP1000428696.html

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #146 of 2,999
Bit the bullet and ordered WF1kXM4 despite being very happy with MTW2. Anyone tried the Crystal tips by Azla with these? I am not a fan of foam tips which these come with as they make the sound muddy imo.

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wf1000xm4/v1/en/contents/TP1000428696.html
!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!

jeez. you make it seem easy. for the life of me I couldn't find the WF help, just the WH. i feel like google is getting harder to google, or i'm just getting stupider.

it worked and I owe you a beer!

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #147 of 2,999
I've never really thought about that because I've got my cheap-ish wired IEM-s and all of the cheap TWS i've ever heard in showrooms/friends have sounded worse to me. I only recently tried the over ear WH-1000XM3 because a friend bought them and i thought they sound nice and with some EQ can be daily driven, but i'm an IEM kind of guy so that's why i've been eyeing these.
Generally, i'm not against the concept of wireless audio, it certainly has it's advantages. It's just that I haven't tried any good implementation so far.
I have the Sony WF1000XM3, and they sound good enough for mobile use (especially with ANC enabled, oddly enough) but they just don't compare to similarly priced wired IEMs. The XM4 are...$280? You could get a Bluetooth receiver -- neckband or pocket thingie -- and plug in some serious under-$200 IEMs and get much better sound with the same budget.

Or if you're set on TWS, the WF1000XM3, which were getting so highly praised not long ago, are bound to price drop, and you can get "renewed" ones at Amazon for around $100 already.

Samsung has been doing multiple upgrades to its Galaxy Buds (IIRC it was just Buds, then +, then Pro, then Live) which were pretty solid to begin with and have a very reliable app. You could look for an older model of those too.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #148 of 2,999
!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!

jeez. you make it seem easy. for the life of me I couldn't find the WF help, just the WH. i feel like google is getting harder to google, or i'm just getting stupider.

it worked and I owe you a beer!
Glad it worked, it is Friday and your new toy must work lol ! I almost posted WH instead WF help guide :) I think this is too new for Google as well :p
Linus was very impressed by the ANC performance so I am excited!

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #149 of 2,999
Glad it worked, it is Friday and your new toy must work lol ! I almost posted WH instead WF help guide :) I think this is too new for Google as well :p
Linus was very impressed by the ANC performance so I am excited!
yea one thing I did notice, it's all about the seal (of course). Switched the the larger tips and the ANC working wonders now. Still can't get rid of some vocals (girlfriend) but they are great

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #150 of 2,999
Wifi is higher frequency signaling right? Especially at 5GHz? I have a bit of fear of high bandwidth signal to my head, but I realized wifi is more condesnsed waves.
Sorry but I was talking about Bluetooth codec, not wifi. I do not think IEM is able to transmit/receive wifi signal yet due to power consumption and all the required processing power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back