Sony Walkman Z 1050 vs Ipod touch 5g
Feb 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wholelottalove

New Head-Fier
I'm kind of torn between which one I should buy. From what I've read, the sony z is superior in the sound department, but with how much? Is it worth buying the sony (that cost the same as the ipod), but it doesn't have a camera or anything special. Which one should I go for? I mostly have flac files and it is really important with the batterylife, I really don't want to recharge it everyday. It seems the ipod touch is more worth the money, but I don't want it to suffer in the sound department coming from listening to flac on my cowon s9. I really don't like dealing with itunes either, is there anyway you can just use the "drag and drop" tactic with the ipod (even if it means jailbreaking)?

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 13
Would you ever bother using the camera on the iPod? Also neither nativly supports Flac, for the iPod you'll have to convert them to ALAC unlike the Sony which you can install Powerplayer as it's running android.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
From what I've read, the sony z is superior in the sound department, but with how much?

I asked a couple of friends to listen to my Z with XBA-4 headphones... They both listen to iPods, they are both into audio for their work... They both said it was no contest, iPods sound plain bad in comparison...

The iPod's bound to be more compatible - it's the Microsoft Windows of Music... You need to decide how much good sound is worth to your ears, Sonys are much less refined software wise, although with Android they work like most any other player/phone.

It would probably be easier to get the new F walkman.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 13
The iPod Touch 5 has the cleanest headphone output i've ever heard.

Ultralow distortion and output impedance make it an ideal source for driving balanced armature iems.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 13
If you are using headphones jack on these DAPs then Sony Z is better because it has dedicated digital AMPs built in which produce more cleaner signals with good power through HP jack. But if need multimedia experience and using external AMPs then iPod touch is better because it soundquality much improve with AMPs help through line out dock connector, as far i understand the new iPod Touch don't have line out anymore. BTW Sony Z walkmen has line out through WM-Port and they realy improve too with AMPs help(highly recommended).

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
If you are using headphones jack on these DAPs then Sony Z is better because it has dedicated digital AMPs built in which produce more cleaner signals with good power through HP jack. But if need multimedia experience and using external AMPs then iPod touch is better because it soundquality much improve with AMPs help through line out dock connector, as far i understand the new iPod Touch don't have line out anymore. BTW Sony Z walkmen has line out through WM-Port and they realy improve too with AMPs help(highly recommended).

If the amps are more betterer, why does adding one help so much. Digital amp holds no advantage except power conservation. Other than that it's at a disadvantage amplifying an analog signal. More about execution than type so they can be better or worse. Touches play FLAC as well. There's an app for that.
wink_face.gif
 Perhaps that Sony headphone was voiced for a Sony player? I can't say for sure which one sounds better as I haven't used a Sony but Touches sound good if used properly.

I think SS touches sound better than their hard drive mates but some years have higher output impedances (like Sony). The OP asked specifically about a Touch 5 which has the lowest output impedance of the bunch. It likely is the best Ipod yet.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 13
  I can't speak for the Sony, as I haven't heard it, but I DO own the IPod Touch 5th Gen. Apple has finally lifted some permissions on the IOS software. Specifically the song database. Since this has happened, there, now, are MANY good apps that add full custom EQ'ing as well as an alternative player software to the IPod (without having to Jailbreak the device). This, in my book, makes the IPod competitive in the world of DAP's.

I also agree that this is probably the best IPod to date for SQ. The HP jack is damn near flawless insomuch as there is a lack of noise of any kind (to my ears). They seem to amp very well (again, to my ears). And now that different apps can be used for playback instead of the stock app, you can, not only EQ to your own taste, but you can download an alternative player that plays flacs too (again, without Jailbreaking).

As far as software is concerned, I use Mediamonkey to sync my IPod (I hate ITunes, bleck), and it appears to be a VERY mature software at this point. These are all just my opinion, so feel free to try the Walkman if you are so inclined.... Have fun! (that is what counts) 

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 13
No contest.  The Walkman Z is more superior sounding than my iPod Touch 4th Gen, iPhone 4, and 3GS.  I also second that "flat and plain" sounding analogy on the iPod.  The Z has a much more powerful headphone out with a more refined presentation.  You will be hard press to find better portable out there unless you own a player like the iBasso DX100 or use a really good portable amp with your iPod device.  If you search for their "S-Master" amp background, you will understand why it is a superior design due to much less distortion.  Sony really crafted this player to sound great.

May 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 13
No contest.  The Walkman Z is more superior sounding than my iPod Touch 4th Gen, iPhone 4, and 3GS.  I also second that "flat and plain" sounding analogy on the iPod.  The Z has a much more powerful headphone out with a more refined presentation.  You will be hard press to find better portable out there unless you own a player like the iBasso DX100 or use a really good portable amp with your iPod device.  If you search for their "S-Master" amp background, you will understand why it is a superior design due to much less distortion.  Sony really crafted this player to sound great.

Just curious, is the sony device just a player, or is it an android device (or something like that)?

May 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Just curious, is the sony device just a player, or is it an android device (or something like that)?

It is an Andriod walkman.  It runs ICS 4.0.

May 16, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 13
Definitely check it out - I had what I thought was a good player (an old IRiver H120 with a Fiio E17 DAC linked by optical) - the Walkman just blew it away, it's the best sounding player I've heard - I'm sure there are better ones but, for the $$$, you can't go wrong.

Cheers,

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back