Sony Walkman NWZ-A17
Mar 31, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #346 of 471

As I've now had this combo for 3 days, I do find myself wishing for a bit more volume on LDAC. But then again maybe I'm saving my hearing from my own desire to "play it loud!" It is indeed loud enough for air travel which was my main purpose. I might invest in a headphone amp so I can listen with my wired cans.

I mostly like the music from my youth (mid-to-late 70's) so I picked up the Eagles' Hotel California, The Knack's Get the Knack and Rod Stewart's Blondes Have More Fun (a guilty pleasure for sure but it sounds GREAT) all at 192/24. I'd like to go back and pick up Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Fleetwood Mac's Rumors but they are so far only available as 96/24 though I don't know if I should be concerned about that. It also hurts because I own all these on CD (and vinyl, cassette and probably 8-track as well) and have them ripped as ALAC so I may try that in the meantime.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #347 of 471
  @rockstar...I don't have any hi-res tracks (yet)...but experienced this on a few discs that were mastered at a lower than normal level.  (Petra's More Power To Ya, and Not Of This World come to mind).  On those few occasions I turned on the "dynamic normalizer" in the music settings.  Usually I leave it off.  You are right about Sony's levels....sometimes I'd like to have a bit more.  

@popper...I have the same remote set-up...the NWZA17 with the Sony MDR1abt.  At first I was going to use it for the treadmill...then decided I didn't want to wreck a perfectly good set of BT headphones...so use it around the house when I don't want to be tied to a cord.  I actually stumbled upon rockstar's initial post (last October I think) while looking for a replacement for the Ipod classic...and I've been happy with the purchase.  Picked up igadgitz leather flip case for it...has worked out well for me.  I've had the 1abt's since January....bluetooth has come a long way.  I ended up going with the Sony's probably because I had the LDAC available already in the NWZA17 and thought I'd give it a shot to see how they sounded.  Thought about the Sennheiser's rockstar mentioned (I have the HD600's and love them)...but did not want an on-ear phone.  

Bern

Bern, 

Well feel free to see post #336 above for some great suggestions, but I honestly have so many Hi-Res tracks/albums now that I can always suggest more. A lot of the best ones I have are by Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, just to name a few. 

Yes.... of course if you're wired, you can just throw an amp in the mix like the FiiO E6 or the A3 (formerly the E11k). They are inexpensive ($30 and $60) but offer a great deal of volume. Check Amazon for those if interested. I've had them both (in the past) and thought they were both great. 

I recommend trying the settings suggestions in my last post out on your A17. You should get a small bump in volume (or at least it will feel that way) from the EQ adjustment. It just seems to "open up" the sound a bit more IMO. 

Which Sennheisers did I mention that were on-ear?? lol On-ear..........NOT my thing. Let me know. lol I'm glad to hear you also love your Sony products as well! Yeah for Bluetooth, the Walkmans OWN for their clarity and lack of connectivity issues. Only thing I don't like with Bluetooth is I found out on here that the pricey DAC you're paying for is bypassed when listening via BT. The settings still apply, but it's not any different I guess (per what ppl on hear told me) than listening from your smartphone. That's another deterrent for me to not listen via BT. LDAC does help with that though. They need to start putting more premium DAC/amp chips in headphones if ppl really wanna hear a difference, b/c then the premium DAC WILL get utilized. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #348 of 471

As I've now had this combo for 3 days, I do find myself wishing for a bit more volume on LDAC. But then again maybe I'm saving my hearing from my own desire to "play it loud!" It is indeed loud enough for air travel which was my main purpose. I might invest in a headphone amp so I can listen with my wired cans.

I mostly like the music from my youth (mid-to-late 70's) so I picked up the Eagles' Hotel California, The Knack's Get the Knack and Rod Stewart's Blondes Have More Fun (a guilty pleasure for sure but it sounds GREAT) all at 192/24. I'd like to go back and pick up Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Fleetwood Mac's Rumors but they are so far only available as 96/24 though I don't know if I should be concerned about that. It also hurts because I own all these on CD (and vinyl, cassette and probably 8-track as well) and have them ripped as ALAC so I may try that in the meantime.

Yeah that would be a good idea popper. I suggested the FiiO E6 or A3. Look into those on Amazon. I can vouch for their great quality (esp the A3/E11k) and premium design. 

Ok I see. Let me do a rundown here with you and get you steered in the right direction lol. 

I have Hotel California, and yes it sounds great! I have all their albums now. Sound-wise, they are all fantastic. You can really hear Randy Meisner's great background vocals on Take It Easy. Ol' 55 and Best of My Love are very wow. Kings of Hollywood is sweet from the very start, just to name a few. I would recommend just buying them all honestly. They have a boxed set on HDTracks etc where if you buy them (all albums under one set) it's cheaper. 

Last Fall I went into a huge Rod Stewart/Faces phase and bought like all the albums except Blondes. lol They all sound amazing. The Faces is stuff is more rockin', but the Stewart stuff has many great songs too. Blind Prayer off Stewart's 1st solo album is INCREDIBLE. Stay With Me is amazing too. Just to name a couple. 

From my experience, like 99% of the time there's no audible difference b/t 24/96 and 24/192. The only time for sure I could hear a smalllllll difference was for The Beach Boys. Don't Worry Baby (Stereo version) in Hi-Res is one of the best Hi-Res tracks I have, period. (You can get single tracks off Pono Music or else 7 Digital.) 

I have both Brick Road and Rumours in 24/96 (I THINK Road was 24/96??) and they sound INCREDIBLLLLLLLE. HIGHLY recommended! Just get all the Mac albums from '75 - '80 (FM, Rumours, Tusk, Live). I compared Live to not just my old mp3s of that album but my CD too, and I STILL heard a difference. It had more life to it in Hi-Res. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #349 of 471
I went through a huge headphone and accessory buying phase the last time I was on this board and according to my Amazon history, have 3 Fiio amps--the E5, E7 and E11--now I just have to find them! Of course, the E12 looks pretty cool too.

Forgot about that bundled Eagles package (which of course I already own on CD). I may have to look into that along with Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road...and Petty and the Stones. Damn, this is going to be expensive. :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #350 of 471
My mistake regarding the senn's...it was AKG.  
I think it was the 845bt...back a page or so.  The reviews were mixed on it....with some complaining about BT connections or channel imbalance.  Plus the on-ear thing sort of sealed (bad pun) for me.  As far as not getting them.  The A17/MDR1abt has worked for me for what I wanted to use it for.  Agree with you that wired still has it...but all new HP technology is welcomed from me.  If I'm cleaning in the kitchen or outside...I usually go for the portable setup.

Fleetwood Mac (the self titled LP)..was always a favorite for me....the LP sounded great, and they did a great job on the original cd release.  Might get that one first to see how they could possibly improve it for me.  Love McVie's voice.  

I'm just getting back into headphone listening as I dismantled the stereo to paint the living room...and then retired.  Sort of forced to listen via the headphone route now.  Which is OK...giving me a chance to revisit some old friends.  (Always loved Jackson Browne's Late For The Sky....should have picked up Hoffman's remaster when I had the chance at a cheaper price).

Almost forgot to tell you...I did get the 553pro's...and the A17 drives them well.  Very flat....a great bang for the dollar.  

Bern

Quote:

Bern, 

Well feel free to see post #336 above for some great suggestions, but I honestly have so many Hi-Res tracks/albums now that I can always suggest more. A lot of the best ones I have are by Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, just to name a few. 

Yes.... of course if you're wired, you can just throw an amp in the mix like the FiiO E6 or the A3 (formerly the E11k). They are inexpensive ($30 and $60) but offer a great deal of volume. Check Amazon for those if interested. I've had them both (in the past) and thought they were both great. 

I recommend trying the settings suggestions in my last post out on your A17. You should get a small bump in volume (or at least it will feel that way) from the EQ adjustment. It just seems to "open up" the sound a bit more IMO. 

Which Sennheisers did I mention that were on-ear?? lol On-ear..........NOT my thing. Let me know. lol I'm glad to hear you also love your Sony products as well! Yeah for Bluetooth, the Walkmans OWN for their clarity and lack of connectivity issues. Only thing I don't like with Bluetooth is I found out on here that the pricey DAC you're paying for is bypassed when listening via BT. The settings still apply, but it's not any different I guess (per what ppl on hear told me) than listening from your smartphone. That's another deterrent for me to not listen via BT. LDAC does help with that though. They need to start putting more premium DAC/amp chips in headphones if ppl really wanna hear a difference, b/c then the premium DAC WILL get utilized. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #351 of 471

@popper...I have the same remote set-up...the NWZA17 with the Sony MDR1abt.  At first I was going to use it for the treadmill...then decided I didn't want to wreck a perfectly good set of BT headphones...so use it around the house when I don't want to be tied to a cord.  I actually stumbled upon rockstar's initial post (last October I think) while looking for a replacement for the Ipod classic...and I've been happy with the purchase.  Picked up igadgitz leather flip case for it...has worked out well for me.  I've had the 1abt's since January....bluetooth has come a long way.  I ended up going with the Sony's probably because I had the LDAC available already in the NWZA17 and thought I'd give it a shot to see how they sounded.  Thought about the Sennheiser's rockstar mentioned (I have the HD600's and love them)...but did not want an on-ear phone.  

Bern

Hey Bern, I picked up that case too. Haven't used it yet, but definitely will when I travel.

I'm really digging this set up. One thing I forgot to mention initially...I heard a couple of folks say the build quality on the MDR-1ABT was lacking and that they feel a little light. They are some of the most comfortable cans I own and I feel confident I can handle them on a flight from LA to NY without fatigue. Very cool.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #352 of 471
Bern, 

No problem. But I think I see what's happened here. It appears that several reviewers have mistakenly labeled the 845BTs are "on-ear" when in fact they're actually over-ear. But AKG itself labels these over-ear, as do several other reviewers. I tried out the 845BTs very recently in fact, and IMO, they are definitely over-ear. It is close, but I would not classify them as on-ear. I found there to be NO issues with them whatsoever. I even commend AKG on supplying a cable without an in-line remote in it as well, which, when utilized, further improves the sound quality and volume (shocker! lol). It's also great if you need to save some battery power. I felt they were quite close to the K550 or K553 in design. Of course they are a more portable version, so soundstage and comfort was slightly less, but not by too much. But they still offered the same clarity that my K553 does. Maybe SLIGHTLY more bass, but since they are apparently the BT version of the K545 (yep lol), that makes sense. 

Since the soundstage on the K845BT is somewhat diminished due to its smaller size, I might be inclined to agree that it's no better than the 1ABT. Bass-wise, they might both be the same too. The K545 has slightly more bass than the K550 and K553, so the K845BT does as well. The 1ABT may take it in comfort over the K845BT though as my 1As were DAHMN comfortable! Yeah your setup sounds great and makes sense too. 

Yeah that first FM album with Stevie and Lindsey was a landmark or watershed moment in music history. I like McVie's songs more now than I did initially, but I ALWAYS loved Over My Head. Here the bass on it is just lush and perfect........very warm. Crystal is prob my fav song on the album (listen for the chimey acoustic part ((ping!)) during the chorus in between the vocal lines, and also the drums leading into the chorus and especially during the outro. Sounds like Mick's playing from outer space. Breathtaking really.) . But then others like Monday Morning, Blue Letter, Rhiannon, I'm So Afraid, etc. Amazing! I notice they remastered that one for Hi-Res at what seems like a lower than average volume, so you may definitely need to turn that one up to the max. Rumours is def louder, as are the rest. On Rumours, you can really HEAR Stevie's great background vocals on Second Hand News, and again Mick's drums on Oh Daddy... WOW! But yeah, Live............Lindsey's guitar solos on Go and Afraid are insane. Beyond insane really. IMO, he even puts Clapton to shame. I was never a huge fan of Don't Stop, but listen to that live version if you ever doubt purchasing that one in Hi-Res. The live version has so much life to it that you really do feel like you're there at whatever arena they'd played in that day. 

Nice. I'd love to get a copy of Browne's "Running On Empty" in Hi-Res, but I don't see that album available just yet. 

Oh that's SUPERB man! I love my K553s to death! Yes, that's one of the best things about them........ that great flat/neutral sound they give. No BS, no extra stuff you don't need or want, just the music as created by the musician(s). Promise me you will listen to Crystal with them! lol That song is the reason I fell in love with AKG in the first place. I remember being in the Magnolia section at Best Buy about 16 mos ago listening to the K550 on display there (back when I was green as F about all this lol). I didn't have the Walkman yet. Just playing off my phone, but I did have I think either the E6 or else E11k FiiO amp. I'd already tried a couple headphones but wasn't happy so far. So I put on Crystal, and at like 0:45 the drum part that kicks into the chorus comes on. It just sounded fantastic. And then Lindsey closed the deal for me with that first chorus line "And then I KNEW.............". Well played AKG. lol I think THAT was when I realized I was an Audiophile...........Lite. lol Yep, that's my official title. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #353 of 471
  Hey Bern, I picked up that case too. Haven't used it yet, but definitely will when I travel.

I'm really digging this set up. One thing I forgot to mention initially...I heard a couple of folks say the build quality on the MDR-1ABT was lacking and that they feel a little light. They are some of the most comfortable cans I own and I feel confident I can handle them on a flight from LA to NY without fatigue. Very cool.

I had the 1A popper, and I definitely had NO issue with the build quality. I felt they were very well-built, comfortable, and good-looking headphones really. So I wouldn't worry about what some ppl said. I used to put way too much stock in reviews. But I've learned that they should only be used as guides, nothing more. I had a $600 portable amp/DAC that was great and at least a few reputable reviews said were better than my current $300 one. But I wondered if I COULD tell a difference between the two. So I bought the $300 one and pitted them against each other. Turned out..........I couldn't. Which was GREAT actually b/c I was able to return the $600 one still and keep the $300 one which I thought looked better and was smaller/sleeker too, so much easier to carry around.

I've read reviews about $400 headphones that were supposed to be so superior to the rest. But then I pitted them against my $170 AKG K553 Pro 'phones, and they could never measure up. In one aspect or another, the K553 won out every time. (FYI: The K553 is an improved version of the K550.......... clearer bass and a more controlled treble. They are almost identical though in sound.) 

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #355 of 471

I had a $600 portable amp/DAC that was great and at least a few reputable reviews said were better than my current $300 one. But I wondered if I COULD tell a difference between the two. So I bought the $300 one and pitted them against each other. Turned out..........I couldn't. Which was GREAT actually b/c I was able to return the $600 one still and keep the $300 one which I thought looked better and was smaller/sleeker too, so much easier to carry around.

I've read reviews about $400 headphones that were supposed to be so superior to the rest. But then I pitted them against my $170 AKG K553 Pro 'phones, and they could never measure up. In one aspect or another, the K553 won out every time. (FYI: The K553 is an improved version of the K550.......... clearer bass and a more controlled treble. They are almost identical though in sound.) 

Ah, what a long and twisted road has brought me to this thread. I previously owned the Audeze LCD-2 along with a portable DAC and separate headphone amp from ALO Audio. I also had a Schiit desktop DAC and amp (forgot the name, the amp had tubes, some Viking sh!t) and guess what? It sounded great. But it was a hassle. I had to basically carry the cans in their own case, the "portable" setup was bulky. Not to mention I had a few thousand dollars invested in the whole thing. I kind of do miss those cans, but not $3-4 grand worth.

I snapped out of it and just bought in-ears of different flavors--Klipsch, RHA, Sennheiser, whatever. They'd break and I'd buy another.

So now, here I am. This setup is great for the purpose and it's a great sign that I keep listening to it around the house as I mostly purchased it for travel. I'm a musician, so all of the cans I kept have a specific purpose which is typically NOT listening for pleasure. So I need a pair of "pleasure" wired cans and maybe these K553's will fit the bill. 

Thanks for the recommendation.

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #356 of 471
  It's on HDTracks. I might have to pick that up today. Great album.

Nice. I found it even cheaper on Pono Music. I may buy it too. I really just wanted the title track, but I may sample through the album and buy it if I like at least a few other songs. Also, the comments reviews on that album page on Pono (which are viewable once logged in) indicate the quality as excellent, so that's gonna weigh in heavily too. 

Thanks for letting me know! 

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #357 of 471

Ah, what a long and twisted road has brought me to this thread. I previously owned the Audeze LCD-2 along with a portable DAC and separate headphone amp from ALO Audio. I also had a Schiit desktop DAC and amp (forgot the name, the amp had tubes, some Viking sh!t) and guess what? It sounded great. But it was a hassle. I had to basically carry the cans in their own case, the "portable" setup was bulky. Not to mention I had a few thousand dollars invested in the whole thing. I kind of do miss those cans, but not $3-4 grand worth.

I snapped out of it and just bought in-ears of different flavors--Klipsch, RHA, Sennheiser, whatever. They'd break and I'd buy another.

So now, here I am. This setup is great for the purpose and it's a great sign that I keep listening to it around the house as I mostly purchased it for travel. I'm a musician, so all of the cans I kept have a specific purpose which is typically NOT listening for pleasure. So I need a pair of "pleasure" wired cans and maybe these K553's will fit the bill. 

Thanks for the recommendation.

Sounds like you've been through a pretty extensive journey yourself! lol I've heard/read good things about Schiit's devices too. 

Yeah I'm waiting for the day when BT will sound AS good as wired (which again will mean the premium amp/DAC will need to be IN the headphones since the BT signal it receives is digital). I believe we're very close, but still not yet. The 1A-DAC comes with a premium DAC in it, but still the reviews are not that promising (again, some saying the bass is somewhat loose). Plus I don't think the DAC even works unless you plug in digitally (via USB). So I don't believe they can do BT anyway. Then there's the XTZ Divine which are great for Bluetooth listening but are only available as on-ear headphones (for now). On-ear.........yuck. lol Not my thing. So there's still a ways to go. 

I too am a musician and have played guitar and written songs as well. So yeah, I appreciate solid equipment too. Yes, the K553s IMO MOST DEFINITELY fit the bill as "pleasure" wired cans. lol Just tie up that extra slack (cable) if need be and enjoy!!! 

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #358 of 471
  I went through a huge headphone and accessory buying phase the last time I was on this board and according to my Amazon history, have 3 Fiio amps--the E5, E7 and E11--now I just have to find them! Of course, the E12 looks pretty cool too.

Forgot about that bundled Eagles package (which of course I already own on CD). I may have to look into that along with Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road...and Petty and the Stones. Damn, this is going to be expensive. :)

Oh yeah, so regarding the Stones......... I recommend buying the 60s albums available in Hi-Res..... Aftermath (UK version), Beggar's Banquet, and Let It Bleed, as well as Hot Rocks (you can just buy the singles too) and Ya-Ya's. There are also other various 60s albums as well with singles you can download, like from the "Singles Collection/London Years" boxed set, etc. See here for a full list (use promo code "10PERCENT" on the checkout page to get 10% off your total.) For singles, check Pono. Some albums offer that option, some don't. 

I would get those first 3 albums I mentioned first. They sound incredible! Overall, sound-wise, Aftermath MAY just be my favorite from the 3? Pay special attention to the bass and drums on Thumb, Take It, and What To Do. The drums in the intro of "Street Fighting Man" on Banquet....... wow! An unexpected surprise of acquiring these albums was that I felt like I was really hearing Charlie for the first time! These Hi-Res versions DEF showcase his drumming so much better than any previous versions had before IMO. 

For Petty........ both his Hi-Res Heartbreakers albums and his solo albums sound fantastic. The expansive soundstage on tracks like "Wildflowers" and "Crawling Back To You" is quite appealing when listened to on good headphones. See here for a list to buy albums and/or tracks from. 

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #359 of 471

Nice. I found it even cheaper on Pono Music. I may buy it too. I really just wanted the title track, but I may sample through the album and buy it if I like at least a few other songs. Also, the comments reviews on that album page on Pono (which are viewable once logged in) indicate the quality as excellent, so that's gonna weigh in heavily too. 

Thanks for letting me know! 

Thanks for the info....think I'm about to get my feet wet.  After I said I'd never do this.....Think I'll start off with these two....Late For The Sky (one of my favorites...not sure it was engineered the best however and Lightfoot's Sundown.  (which was excellently recorded...might have won an award that year...or at least nominated).  

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #360 of 471
  Thanks for the info....think I'm about to get my feet wet.  After I said I'd never do this.....Think I'll start off with these two....Late For The Sky (one of my favorites...not sure it was engineered the best however and Lightfoot's Sundown.  (which was excellently recorded...might have won an award that year...or at least nominated).  

Bern, 

YW! 

Well you said you wouldn't do it back when you didn't know what you know now. lol

Nice! I hope you enjoy both albums. 

I decided after sampling Empty to buy that album, and will listen to it soon, maybe even tonight? I sampled Sky and Sundown........ I may sample Sky again but for now I'm just gonna stick with his Empty album. But I do like that song "Sundown" so I sampled that album too, and based on your comment about its recording quality, I decided to buy that album as well. Though I bought it in 96/24 off Acoustic Sounds, for only $16.18 (using the 10PERCENT promo code). I compared samples of both resolutions (96/24 & 192/24), and they sounded the same to me, as they almost always do........ so yeah, 96/24 for me. If you haven't bought 192/24 one yet, you can get the 96/24 one here doing what I just said. Thanks again for suggesting it! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back