Sony Walkman NWZ-A17
Jul 8, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #136 of 471
I got mine from South Korea via eBay. All menus are multi-language (including English) and I believe without volume cap.

BTW, is there any indication about volume cap? While my A15 volume is lower than my Fiio X1, it drives a Fidelio L2 (16 Ohm@105 Av) at a very reasonable volume.

Ok. If you can figure out how to get through a menu written in Japanese to find the screen that lets you change the language, then go for it! 

No idea. I find that my A17 Walkman drives my Sony MDR-1A headphones QUITE well. Sometimes for the Hi-Res albums I have I have to put the volume up to or close to the max (30), but 30 is always plenty on my 1As. 

Ok i just opened it up and it was in a different language. i could not find out how to switch out the language in the settings. I noticed in the directions someone crossed out how to change the language in the settings. Maybe you cant? It also had a not for sale sticker on the back of the unit.

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #137 of 471
phaze, 

Yeah, I'd return it ASAP and buy from the link I gave you (Amazon U.S. version). I would recommend buying ALL electronic devices from Amazon in the future, or at least a trusted seller like Crutchfield.com or Best Buy, etc, etc. 

Once you get all this straightened out, I recommend skimming through this thread for helpful tips on how to best set up & use your Walkman for maximum quality sound. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #140 of 471
  I notice on my A17 that it does the same thing regarding it seeming to be off but then you push a button and it turns on. I believe it's about timing. If the unit's been off for a day or two, I think it powers down all the way. But less than that, it seems to just be on "standby". So that part is normal. 

I've never actually listened to music for 3 hours straight, but I've been told by people like this one truck driver on Amazon who bought the A17.......... he said he drives across the country and the 30 hour time is for real. So I believe it IS true. Thing is though, I don't think he lets the screen stay on very long. I do 1 minute myself, but I would suggest you do like 15 or 30 seconds or something of screen on time. I also enabled the battery saver option ("Battery Care", under Common Settings). It won't let the unit charge past 90%, but doing so they say increases the long-term battery life. Check too that NFC Settings is Off. Not sure if it matters, but I know if I leave it enabled on my phone, it uses up more power. 

So it sounds like to me that you need to check on these factors. If the screen on time is already under 1 minute, then I think you may have a dud unit, and should get it replaced ASAP. 

Let us know what happens. 

RockStar2005

RockStar2005, here is what I came up with the A17 and the Sony 1ABT..

Starting with the Sony MDR 1ABT, they were good , but they weren't better than my Senn M2AEBTs, and just a hair  better or equal to my Sony MDR 1RBT MK2s. Didn't go as far as trying out the  LDAC with the A17 and Sony 1ABT, because even if that session turned out to be better than my other 2 hps in that perspective, the point is I only  have one device with LDAC, and that is the Sony 1ABT coupled with the A17.. So, I returned the Sony MDR 1ABT headphones..

Moving right along, since I ordered the FiiO X5 2nd gen right with the A17, they both sound real good wired. Didn't dig into which was better, the X5 cost more, but they both were good, and the A17 has bluetooth, so at that point, I decided to keep both, and will grow into them.. However, I was using both of them wired, today I decided to give the bluetooth a try using my Senn M2.

Low and behold, I am getting stuttering right off the bat..I had the A17 in my sock, distance no more than 4 1/2 feet. Okay, put it in my pocket, less stuttering, but still some very annoying stutter and very frequently too. Now, there have been a lot of complaints about the Senn M2 and stuttering.. However, my M2 hasn't any of them and I use the M2s with my Note 4 and my Samsung Galaxy Gear S smartwactch..No stuttering whatsoever..One of the reasons for keeping the A17 was because it had bluetooth, and it size is nice.. Slips right in my sock..However, with this bluetooth issue, and I can't blame it on the M2s, because they work with my other 2 devices and no stuttering at the same distances. In fact, at the gym in line of sight, I can go 25 to 30 yards with my Note 4 and Senn M2s and no stuttering.

So, the A17 will be returned..Not going to try to find out where the stuttering comes from, I know, if I take my Note 4 and put it in the same spot as the A17, I get no stuttering..

Bottom line, I can't win them all.On both these items,  I waited until they both were available on Amazon Prime. The no-hassle returns have spoiled me..

One more time, the A17 most likely was a killer DAP in all areas, and for a good price, but with my tryout it failed on the bluetooth. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #141 of 471
howard, 

Ok. I don't really get what you're sayin' though about why you didn't activate LDAC on your A17 (after updating it) though? The whole point of getting the 1ABTs to use with the A17 is that they're BOTH LDAC-capable, meaning you'd have TWO devices with LDAC, not just one. So again, I don't get what you mean about only having one device with LDAC. Had you'd activated it on the A17, and then tried it with the 1ABTs (which I believe pick up the LDAC signal and switch to LDAC mode automatically), there's a good chance it would've even outdone the Sennheisers. But because you didn't do that, now we'll never know. I think maybe we had some miscommunication b/c that's what I said I was primarily interested in hearing about since LDAC was such a new technology and not much has been written on it (yet). Oh well. lol 

Regarding the returning of the A17 b/c of its issue with bluetooth................... once again, since you DIDN'T activate and test it out using LDAC, I can't really say if returning it was the way to go. In at least that one review I'd posted a while back in this thread about the 1ABTs' LDAC capability, the author stated that putting LDAC in the mix made for a noticeable improvement in sound quality. It could be too that the LDAC signal is stronger than the regular bluetooth signal (LDAC again uses TRIPLE the bandwidth of standard bluetooth, so that might equate to a stronger connection as well?). 

I really wish you'd tried the A17 out with LDAC turned on. Your smartphone (or any smartphone really) will never measure up to what a stand-alone player like the A17 or even X5 can do. If I were you, I'd buy both the A17 and 1ABTs back and try out my advice. You'll never really know if the Senns are better or not for sure until you do. If it turns out you get the same results with LDAC, then at least we'll both know for sure bluetooth isn't the A17's and I guess even the 1ABT's greatest strength. 

In other news, I've decided I'm selling my A17, NOT b/c of anything bad at all, but because I simply decided I just wanted to store & play all my music on one device, not 2. And also, not have to get memory cards for 2 devices, just 1. So instead, I will be KEEPING the Sony PHA-2 amp/DAC/DAP instead. Even though the battery life on the A17 is better than the PHA-2's, the PHA-2 does have slightly better specs, though not sure how much that matters really. It is more expensive too, but it's also more convenient. I was told the battery could be replaced on the PHA-2, though it takes some work. 

I also am looking into purchasing an improved stereo cable for my setup (2 actually, but one is a bigger deal and pricier than the other). If it pans out, I'll post the details here. Prob in the next couple weeks or sooner. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #142 of 471
  howard, 

Ok. I don't really get what you're sayin' though about why you didn't activate LDAC on your A17 (after updating it) though? The whole point of getting the 1ABTs to use with the A17 is that they're BOTH LDAC-capable, meaning you'd have TWO devices with LDAC, not just one. So again, I don't get what you mean about only having one device with LDAC. Had you'd activated it on the A17, and then tried it with the 1ABTs (which I believe pick up the LDAC signal and switch to LDAC mode automatically), there's a good chance it would've even outdone the Sennheisers. But because you didn't do that, now we'll never know. I think maybe we had some miscommunication b/c that's what I said I was primarily interested in hearing about since LDAC was such a new technology and not much has been written on it (yet). Oh well. lol 

Regarding the returning of the A17 b/c of its issue with bluetooth................... once again, since you DIDN'T activate and test it out using LDAC, I can't really say if returning it was the way to go. In at least that one review I'd posted a while back in this thread about the 1ABTs' LDAC capability, the author stated that putting LDAC in the mix made for a noticeable improvement in sound quality. It could be too that the LDAC signal is stronger than the regular bluetooth signal (LDAC again uses TRIPLE the bandwidth of standard bluetooth, so that might equate to a stronger connection as well?). 

I really wish you'd tried the A17 out with LDAC turned on. Your smartphone (or any smartphone really) will never measure up to what a stand-alone player like the A17 or even X5 can do. If I were you, I'd buy both the A17 and 1ABTs back and try out my advice. You'll never really know if the Senns are better or not for sure until you do. If it turns out you get the same results with LDAC, then at least we'll both know for sure bluetooth isn't the A17's and I guess even the 1ABT's greatest strength. 

In other news, I've decided I'm selling my A17, NOT b/c of anything bad at all, but because I simply decided I just wanted to store & play all my music on one device, not 2. And also, not have to get memory cards for 2 devices, just 1. So instead, I will be KEEPING the Sony PHA-2 amp/DAC/DAP instead. Even though the battery life on the A17 is better than the PHA-2's, the PHA-2 does have slightly better specs, though not sure how much that matters really. It is more expensive too, but it's also more convenient. I was told the battery could be replaced on the PHA-2, though it takes some work. 

I also am looking into purchasing an improved stereo cable for my setup (2 actually, but one is a bigger deal and pricier than the other). If it pans out, I'll post the details here. Prob in the next couple weeks or sooner. 

RookStar2005, all good constructive criticism, and you are correct all the way... 

Let me first explain the part where I stated, I only have one device with LDAC..

First off, if I kept the Sony 1ABT, I was referring that the A17 will be the ONLY device THAT COULD BENEFIT from the LDAC, that is what I meant,that I have only ONE device with LDAC.
I also meant, that if the A17 did shine with 1ABT, the 1ABT was not shining with my other devices.. All my headphones work good bluetooth and wired.. The A17 connected to the Senn M2 bluetooth was not a good show. That was a little too much money IMO to  go on an item that won't work well with other units.. The bluetooth function was the  main reason I was going to keep the A17.. When that failed, it was a no brainier for me to return it.  Like I said before, I will give it credit that it would have shined real good with LDAC connected to the 1ABT,  but not  working with my other units..  The A17 told me it was connecting with my Senn M2 via aptx, but the stuttering was unbearable.
I consider you and expert, specially on the A17 and its workings.. Just that is was not for me..I have the X5 2nd Gen..In order for me to keep both DAPs, they would have to shine real good. When the bluetooth failed, that was it..

In the meantime, I am interested in what you are doing with the PHA-2.

Also, you have to pardon my explanation of what is good to my ears. I can't go into the deep explanations of highs, mids, colored, so forth and so on.. I am just a newbie liking this hobby big time..

Cheers, 

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #143 of 471
howard, 

Ok. I didn't realize you intended to use more than one player. For me, I use my phone in the car (but have been testing out putting in the PHA-2 into the mix in the car if it's not a short ride), and at home I would always use my phone + PHA-2 on 1A headphones. I guess for me I just use 1 player and 1 set of headphones, so wouldn't matter. But if you like to "mix it up", that's cool then. 

It's just that I THINK if you'd tried the A17 & 1ABTs with LDAC enabled on the A17 (automatic for 1ABT), you might've not seen the need to have multiple players or headphones. But that's just my way of thinking. I also prefer wired over wireless. lol Since I'm selling my A17, I don't see myself ever going wireless now since the PHA-2 is completely dependent on wired connections. 

Thank you, I mean, I guess I'm an expert? lol Took some trial and error to get there though. 

Cool. I'll keep you posted. I managed to take the "Rock" EQ preset on my phone's music player (Poweramp, aka the greatest Android smartphone music player app EVER....... I know cuz I tested 10-15 others, and they don't compare to it lol) and "tweak" it a bit so that it sounds as good (when coupled with my PHA-2 of course) as my Walkman does. So now I'm set. It sounds just as great as the A17 but can go even louder (though I rarely need it to go much louder since the A17 already has a pretty good amp on it). 

Well, I don't really delve that far into THAT kind of terminology either, so we're both just fine there. lol I just keep it simple. I didn't know what "dynamic range" or "soundstage" meant until only a few months ago. lol But they are important factors to consider, esp when purchasing Hi-Res content. 

Well hope you enjoy your X5 and M2! 

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #144 of 471
Today I sold the A17 Walkman to someone on eBay. So I officially no longer own one. lol But I'm still available to answer questions if anyone has any! I'll be using my Sony PHA-2 amp/DAC (Digital Audio Converter) exclusively from this point on in conjunction with my smartphone (Sony Xperia Z3) and my Sony MDR-1A headphones. Got it on Amazon for a great price. The PHA-2 supercedes my phone's internal DAC by essentially "taking its place" as the music processor, which makes for the same "substantially improved" sound that the A17 Walkman offers vs ANY smartphone. With a little EQ tweaking on my Z3's musc player app Poweramp, I was able to make it sound AS good as the A17 Walkman. I really just wanted to go back to one device again for music playback, so that was my main reason for doing this. 

The Sony MUC-S12SM1 Headphone Cable I bought turned out to be a bit of letdown (got it for only $50 on Amazon). Reviews had said "Punchier bass and wider soundstage", but after comparing it to my stock headphone cable over about a dozen Hi-Res songs, I came to the conclusion that it did NOTHING to improve the sound quality, despite its interesting 4-wire architecture (scroll down to "High-Conductivity"). I REALLY was hoping it was for real, but it wasn't. Sux but oh well. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #146 of 471
howard, 

I apparently made an error when buying the Sony PHA-2. As great as this device is, it doesn't really help if your phone is ANDROID, only iPhone or PC/MAC. The reason being.........the device is a portable amp AND a DAC (digital audio converter). The amp part is great of course at giving you high volume, but it's the DAC that does all the REAL magic. But it only works with Android for the amp part, NOT the DAC. You need to connect digitally (i.e. via USB, micro USB, etc) to the PHA-2 in order for the DAC to be in the mix. But Android can only connect to it via an analog connection (i.e. audio/stereo cable), which I JUST found out, bypasses the DAC completely. So then it's like, what's the point? lol So sadly I had to return it. I liked the idea of having an all Sony setup, but they don't have what I'm looking for, which is kind of odd, b/c they MAKE Android phones, so you'd think their portable amp/DACs would fully support Android, but that's not the case. So unless you have an iPhone and/or only want to listen off your computer, I wouldn't buy it. 

So I did some researching around of other portable amp/DACs and got it down to a couple somewhat more pricey but arguably better devices. The one I went with was the Celsus Companion One. It's from a company "startup" named Celsus that just opened for business to make high-end amp/DACs and whose owner, Jason Lim, already had a name in the music device business. Though a bit bulky (it looks like a slightly oversized iPhone), it comes with gorilla (difficult to crack) glass on the front & back, and an aluminum body. The specs on it though are fantastic (see that Celsus link above)! The DAC it comes with, the Sabre ES9018K2M, is the mobile version of what some have said is the best DAC currently out there, even more so than the famous Wolfson (a British company) WM8740, though other components factor into overall sound, not just the DAC. It also is the FIRST amp/DAC ever to include Hi-Fi WiFi/wireless (not Bluetooth/NFC) streaming (I thought you'd like that part Howard lol). So that makes it even rival Sony's LDAC. It might even be better?? Not sure. 

At a price of $595 on Amazon, it was a bit higher than I really wanted to spend. However, the reviews for it have been excellent, with one claiming it sounds even better than Sony's PHA-3 (the step-up version of my former PHA-2), and THAT device is $999!!!! Crazy. Also, I'd JUST signed up for Amazon's brand new Amazon Prime Card (read carefully) which just became available this past week. Signing up for it (if you qualify) gives you some really nice perks, including 5% back on all your purchases, or if the product is over $199, you can qualify for INTEREST-FREE monthly financing, which varies depending on actual price (you can switch back and forth at ANY time b/t the 5% back and monthly financing option here). And also, you get a $40 instant gift card that you can use on your first purchase. Pay for the Companion One all at once?? Why?! lol Since it's over $499, I instantly qualify for 12 month interest-free financing. Even Amazon Student Prime members like myself are eligible for this. 

I'll come back and post on here after I've had some time to check out the Companion One. I fully expect it to sound amazing though. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #147 of 471
Just bought the A17, pretty amazed so far. Some notes
1) To confirm YES the 200 GB Micro SD works, gives 183 GB of space (player has 56 GB of space). About 240 GB of total space to use! Very easy set up despite the fact that you have to switch between the two storage types before sync.

2) For those interested, syncing with MusicBee instead of MediaGo works perfectly, which was a relief for me since I use MusicBee for my library. Simple plug in and sync or manual sync (drag and drop), saves enormous time.

These were my concerns before buying but so far very happy I did. Thank you to all those who gave impressions on the A17/A15, been waiting for a device like this for years to replace my iPod Classic

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #148 of 471
packers, 

That's awesome! Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for contributing to the thread. Very useful info for those who love the A17 Walkman or want to buy it. 

That's good that there's an alternate to Media Go, just because it never hurts to have options. 

Make sure to apply my suggested settings from earlier in this thread for BEST results! 

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #149 of 471
RockStar2005, looks like you are on a roll!
That headphone amp appears to be the chit. At 6 large I would think so!

I miss the smallness and the radio of the A17, but since I had another DAP, that bluetooth glitch was too much to bear! Now, it could have been human error, because I also returned my X5ii because I THOUGHT it had a headphone jack defect. Come to find with a 2nd unit, it was user error!

I am really liking the X5ii a lot, so far no need to use an external amp with the headphones I have. Keep us posted on your picks!

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #150 of 471
Howard, 

Hey.......... yeah it's been FANTASTIC so far! And the more I read about it, the better I feel about buying it. One review that was posted by Jason Lim (the guy who made it) himself was by some pro critic who said that the CO (Companion One) sounds even better than the Oppo HA-1, which is DOUBLE the price! lol Once I saw THAT review, I was done researching. lol And after reading this review stating that the HA-1 is just as good as the equally priced Sony Walkman NWZ-ZX2, then one can only logically conclude from this review that the CO also sounds BETTER than the Walkman ZX2! (Crazy!) My only issue with the CO is that there is no snap-on case for it like with my smartphone, and b/c it's like a fat iPhone lol, you have to get used to holding it a certain way. Having gorilla glass on both sides helps though. It does however come with a really nice genuine leather travel case with magnetic locks. You can't really use the travel case though when operating the CO......not practical for that purpose. 

I was also looking seriously at the Oppo HA-2 (way way cheaper on their site than Amazon's, I dunno why though?). So much so that I'd say it's a CLOSE second to the CO for under $1000 amp/DACs. It has quick charging capability, a much more sleek and easy to handle body design, though lacks Hi-Fi Wi-Fi/Wireless streaming. One review actually said it was better than the Walkman A17 (though I'm sure it was close lol)! I was THIS close to getting the HA-2 to actually compare it to the CO, but after seeing that review that said the CO bested the HA-1 ($1199), I decided not to. Several reviews I've seen have said that the CO outdoes the HA-2 anyway. However, the difference isn't by much it seems, and it's worth mentioning that the HA-2 uses THE SAME EXACT CHIP as the CO, but I've read over & over that it's not JUST about the chip, but also about the supporting hardware that affects your sound outcome as well. The chip they both use is just a mobile version of the one used in the HA-1 (the HA-1 is not a mobile device as you can see from its pic). 

One thing, Amazon changed the policy on 12-month financing. When I bought the CO, the minimum to qualify was $499. Literally a few days later, I saw that they'd raised it to $599, and the CO costs $595. I spoke with the bank that issues the Amazon Prime Card, and since I'd made the purchase before the change, they made it 12 months. So got lucky as I really wouldn't have preferred to pay it off at one time. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I did, but the HA-2 instead. lol I'm not sure if they were gonna make it 12 months if I hadn't said anything, but just glad they didn't F me. lol But unfortunately for anyone looking to buy it, you'll have to pay for it all at one time now, and the price is the SAME on Amazon as it is on the Celsus Sound website, though with Amazon you may still get free shipping, and maybe avoid paying tax too?  

Correction: The company's name that makes the CO is Celsus Sound, not just Celsus. 

Yeah not sure man.......... maybe if you'd gotten another A17 it would've been fine? Mass production does always ensure some defects will occur. That's just how it is. 

That's awesome that the X5ii is working out so well for ya! As long as they and your chosen Sennheisers are makin' ya happy, then it's all good! 

Sure I def will. Though I prob SHOULD start a new thread? lol I will do so and then post the link here. If you're ever looking to go back to having just one player as I did, then I'd recommend the CO, but if its price is a bit high (again, I ONLY got it b/c of that Amazon Prime Card interest-free 12-month financing promo), then for sure get the HA-2 using that link I gave. I would take a look at both now (use CO link from last post or 2 posts ago) just to get an idea of what they offer. The MAIN pro of the HA-2 is although both it and CO have very premium looks, the HA-2 is sleeker and easier to handle, and also has quick charging as well. The CO's pros though are of course it's rated somewhat/slightly better for its sound quality, and of course for the Howards of the world it has Hi-Fi Wi-Fi/Wireless streaming. lol Again, don't confuse that with bluetooth. It's hard to find Wi-Fi headphones though as most are Bluetooth, which isn't as good IMHO. It compresses the data the same way mp3s do, so you lose some quality there. There are some great Wi-Fi speakers out there though. Look up the newer ones by Sonos, and also Harman Kardon. Only headphone I found that does this is by Koss, but nobody (even Amazon and eBay) seems to have any in stock, not even Koss themselves. There may be others though. 

Note: If anyone wants the CO, I highly recommend this hard to find (for some weird reason) male to female high speed USB OTG extension cable for wired connections as the ones that come with the CO are very short. This is the 3 foot version, but other sizes are available on Amazon too. Also, if you have an Android phone, for BEST results, you want to use the full version of the Poweramp music player app to play the songs from (it TRUMPS all other players, even the Sony Walkman/Music app). If you do this, I can e-mail you my private settings as a file which you can "import" to your Poweramp using the import option under its Settings menu. I came up with my own special EQ preset that I find to be the BEST when using the CO. My preset is based on the Rock EQ preset in Poweramp, but I've modified it as Rock wasn't quite meeting my standards. lol I can explain how to do it and how to make it the default preset as well. Poweramp comes with a 10-BAND EQ (not 5 like most other players) which is part of the reason why it's so great, plus a very friendly and premium-looking UI too. Just PM me if interested, but have the full version of Poweramp ready to go before you do. (You must first download the Trial Version of Poweramp to your Android phone, then you can get the Full Version.) Honestly, even if you are just playing straight from your phone w/o an amp/DAC, Poweramp is still the best. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back