Sony Walkman NWZ-A17
Jun 16, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #92 of 471
Head,

No, that's completely incorrect. The A17 comes with 64 GBs of internal storage, and is listed as having a maximum external add-on of 128 GBs (total max of 192 GBs), but now our new friends have confirmed that the new 200 GB SanDisk card is fully readable on at least the A17, giving us a new total max of a whopping 264 GBs!!

The A15 only has 16 GBs internally. My guess is it prob will be able to accept the 200 GB card in full as well, for a total max of 216 GBs, but I don't know for sure.

RockStar2005

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #93 of 471
  I was under the impression that the NWZ-A17 and A15 max out at 128gig..

Fer instance if I add a 128gig card I only get 128gig , not the 146gig I would expect??

It's confusing, how they (and most other manufacturers) list capacity sizes for SD + internal memory. If something supports 64 GB SD cards, it means it uses the SD-XC format, which can theoretically top up to 2 TB. Of course, we're nowhere near that yet, with most recent developments reaching 128 GB or 256 GB. That means that in a few years time, when the market's saturated with 256 GB cards, you can use that on your device too.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #94 of 471
Well hopefully you're right! lol For me, since I downsample my Hi-Res albums to CD-Quality/Redbook ALAC or FLAC anyway (for backup on cloud storage), and then even further down to high-grade AAC (320 kbps CBR) for phone and Walkman storage (since you CAN'T tell the difference b/t AAC and FLAC/ALAC, even though AAC is lossy), I can't even foresee ever need anymore than 100-150 GBs max. Now if you're only downsampling to Redbook ALAC/FLAC and putting THAT format on your device, then 200-300 GBs might make more sense. 

Downsampling from ALAC/FLAC to AAC takes an extra step, but it saves money in storage space. Not as much money as AAC vs not downsampling Hi-Res at all, but still. 

RockStar2005

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #95 of 471
RockStar2005, I am back on track and got everything lined. Will be purchasing all at the end of the month..

One question  though, and it is related to the NWZ-A17.

I saw your review on Amazon on the Sony MDR 1ABT..and you refereed to two features that CAN'T be turned off on those headphones, and it worsen some of the sound from the NWZ-A17..???

If that is the case, then I may not need the Sony MDR 1ABT, as I already have the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, and the  Senn M2AEBT, which should work well with the NWZ A17..  But, the MDR 1ABT has the low latency,..  I am confused??

Also, I am including the X5 2nd Gen in my buy too. That doesn't have bluetooth, so the  A17 will take on all bluetooth operations.. :) 

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #96 of 471
Hey ce,

That's great! Glad to hear it. 

Yeah......... I found that out very recently, MUCH to my dismay. Apparently, on the 1ABTs, they have DSEE HX and ClearAudio+ built into the headphones, and you can't disable them. I have both options on my A17, and when I tried them out, they worsened the sound quality IMO, especially ClearAudio+. So I leave them off as I'd mentioned before. My hope is that Sony wakes up and makes it so those features can be disabled. Then I would praise the 1ABTs over ANY other bluetooth headphones (partially b/c they don't have LDAC). lol 

So I dunno......... you get triple the bandwidth using the 1ABTs since they and the UPDATED A17 both have LDAC, which equates to getting MORE of the sound pushed through vs being lost/compressed in transfer from player to headphones, but then those 2 features coming into play................. I dunno....... I'd have to hear it, but I doubt it would sound as good as if they'd both be disabled. I mean it MIGHT still sound better than other bluetooth headphones, but again I don't know. 

What do you mean by low latency? Not sure what that means. 

Ok sounds good. If it were me, I'd return or sell one of your bluetooth headphones (prob the Sennheisers lol) and get the MDR-1A, which is the wired one I have. It's been rated as being better than any of the previous models, and by that I mean better sound quality. But it's wired, so you'd only use it for that. It's available in both black and silver

Here is an excerpt from a C|Net review comparing the 1As to the 1Rs in terms of performance & sound quality: 

Switching between the MDR-1A and the older, now discontinued MDR-1R, the new headphone sounded clearer, from the bass all the way through the treble. Switching back to the MDR-1R, the low bass was muddier, thicker, less clear; vocals and guitars are brought into sharper focus over the MDR-1A. The differences aren't huge, but they're there.

P.S. You bought the A17 Walkman already though right? I think you did. How has it been so far if yes? 

RockStar2005

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #97 of 471
Nope, didn't get the A17 Walkman yet. Was waiting for everything to become available.

I am getting everything from Amazon by the end of the month. What doesn't satisfy goes back..

Getting
Sony MDR 1ABT
Fiio X5 2nd Gen
Sony NWZ A17 (I want black, but they only got silver) they got the black at Crutchfield, but I am spoiled by Amazon's Super return policy.

Another 128gb micro sd
They got the  Samsung 64gb class 10 for $20.50, can't pass that up.. 

On the low latency, look at this..

http://www.avantree.com/product-bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver-avantree-saturn-pro-db-990.html

If the Sony MDR 1ABTs don't pan out, or show me something they going back..

Going to see what the X5 2nd Gen and the A17 can do too. I am almost sure both of these DAPs are going to woo me, and are keepers..

BTW, will be reading back on all that info on updating the A17 too. Or it might come already updated..

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #98 of 471
Ce, 

Cool. Looks like the A17 is back in stock too. 

I like black too for the A17, but honestly, the silver is really classy looking and has grown on me a lil more since I bought it back in January. And get that newer clear case too. 

Oh so you're gonna try out the 1ABTs? Interesting. lol Definitely make sure to post here regarding how they sound vs your bluetooth Sennheisers, and/or other bluetooth headphones you may own. Just make sure you follow my A17 settings from before. Yeah if they don't measure up, by all means, send them back. 

Yeah Amazon has some great prices on micro SD cards. I'm about 8-10 GBs away from filling up my A17's internal memory, so at some point I will prob get either a 64 or a 128 GB card. Not sure yet. I guess the A17, although listed as having a maximum capacity of 128 GBs for the card, can actually handle the new 200 GB Sandisk card too. I don't think I'll ever need that much room, but nice to know it's higher than previously listed. (see recent posts in this thread for more on this) 

Hmm ok. I still don't really get what low latency means though, but looks cool. 

Yeah the A17 Walkman SURELY will "woo" you lol..............the X5 I've heard is great too, so you'll prob keep it as well. 

The A17 you get might be updated (Version 1.10 currently, since April), but if not, then yeah use Media Go to do that. But again I don't use Media Go for transferring music anymore. At first the album covers wouldn't all transfer without it, but now, the opposite seems to be happening (album covers transfer when I do the transfers manually, or by not using Media Go). I read somewhere that when you update with Media Go, Sony advises that you temporarily remove all the music you have on the A17's internal drive and/or remove the SD card until after the update is finished. I didn't know that initially, and that may be why I had that issue. It's an extra step lol, but I doubt you will get many updates anyway. So just remember that. For the initial update, do it before you even put the music on there to save time. The battery life on the A17 is incredible, so you won't be charging it too often. 

Keep us posted! 

RockStar2005 

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #99 of 471
All cool RockStar2005, low latency has something to do with the playback of the sound from using bluetooth with TV. It makes the sound be in sync with the picture/movie.

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #101 of 471
  Oh ok. Cool. 

If you are interested in getting some Hi-Res albums/singles, let me know. Nothing will make your player & headphones come alive like that type of content. 

RockStar2005

Is this the correct one? Because on Amazon, that have some with the NWZ A17 and something afterwards. I went with the one for $289 and Prime..

http://www.amazon.com/SONY-NWZ-A17-Silver-64GB-Player/dp/B00WJJ1CXY/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A24ND5I6CJRI4T

Right now, I am loaded up with music.. Most of my music is FLAC..Now, to get into DSD, I am going to need some schooling. Also, if there that much difference in DSD opposed to FLAC??

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #102 of 471
ce, 

The "something after" is "SLV", which just represents the silver color model Walkman.

The main headline at the top of your link says "NWZ-A17" which made me think it was the same player. BUT, when I scrolled down, elsewhere on the page I saw a different model #.............NXZ-A17. It's about $10 cheaper, and it's called an MP3 player vs Hi-Res player. The NXZ-A17 appears to be newer (4/28/15 release date vs 10/8/14), and seems to have the exact same specs. I don't really get what the difference is to be honest. I tried Googling the NXZ-A17 and NOTHING came up, making me think it was yet another moronic description error made by Amazon (they do this crap all the time. Annoys me.) But I DID notice that the 2 models have different measurements and weights listed. 

I dunno. If it were me, I'd play it safe and just get the NWZ-A17 one that I have and never look back. lol And don't forget the awesome case too. 

Ok.......but the FLAC albums/songs you have, are they from Hi-Res purchases or from CDs you just simply ripped to FLAC? 

The ONLY place I know to buy DSD Hi-Res albums from is Super Hi-Rez/Acoustic Sounds (see below). 

Here, skim this post that I sent someone else recently (my answer to your question is mixed in): 

Start buying Hi-Res albums. I've been doing that over the last 9 months..........buying all the albums I really love, just a few here and there as the cost adds up. The difference is significant to me as albums or songs I've long since grown tired of suddenly sound great again, and others I didn't really care for in the first place now have a new life to them. I've compared them to mp3 and even CD versions of songs or albums I own, and I always seem to notice a difference. The Hi-Res files are huge, but you can downsample them (make them smaller) using converters like dBpoweramp (free, even after 3-week trial ends). Just convert to WAV/Wave (Uncompressed, 16-bit, 44.1; doing this is what makes it smaller), then to FLAC or ALAC (iTunes can't play FLAC). The file will be way smaller, but sound exactly the same (trust me lol). (Keeping it in Wave may mean the album cover pic may not show up, so don't skip the next step.)

For DSD conversions, you will need to install dBpoweramp's DSD decoder. Do this (very easy) after installing dBpoweramp. Then it will be able to handle downsampling the DSD tracks. Just follow the same steps above in bold. 

What I've learned regarding DSD vs regular Hi-Res ce is that I guess DSD albums are given an even BETTER quality master than the Hi-Res albums are (I know, crazy!). I don't know if that's 100% of the time, but I think it's very close to be honest. The files are even BIGGER (a DSD album can be like 1.5 GBs lol), so downsampling is highly recommended! And they cost more too. But some of the reviews I'd read made me think it was worth it. So I downloaded Michael Jackson's Thriller album in DSD as well as 2 different Norah Jones albums (see reviews, aside from mine). The reviews that were already there were very strong, especially since the reviewers said they compared them to not just mp3 or CD versions, but regular Hi-Res versions and vinyl too, and the DSD versions even outdid those! I must say, they do sound INCREDIBLE (Billie Jean never sounded so good! Awesome bass and chorus is super clear! lol), so I'd say they're worth it. Another downside to DSD though is that only a small number of albums ever see a DSD release vs the quantity that's becoming available in regular Hi-Res. 

I do use a site called the Dynamic Range Database (DRD), but it can be confusing because it's not always clear when describing the various formats. Like sometimes DSD albums on there might be labeled SACD (Super Audio CD, aka the predecessor to DSD), or 2 labels for the same listing. But like when you compare the Norah Jones albums or Thriller on there for DSD vs other formats like even regular Hi-Res, the listings do seem to support that the DSD release is the strongest one available digitally for each album. 

Hi-Res sites: 

1) HD Tracks: http://www.hdtracks.com/

2) Pono Music (Neil Young's company): https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__HomePage (Individal tracks also available here on many albums, unlike the other 3 sites)

3) Super HiRes/Acoustic Sounds: http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez (Also has DSD Hi-Res albums available, which are better than regular Hi-Res, but not many albums get a DSD release)

4) Pro Studio Masters: http://www.prostudiomasters.com/featured/genre/rock#x 

Note: I mainly only download from the first 2 sites. 

If the file sizes are still too big for you using FLAC/ALAC, then let me know. You CAN make them smaller still, but there's pros and cons to that. I do it, but it takes an extra step. FLAC/ALAC are pretty small already anyway. I back my Hi-Res stuff up as FLAC/ALAC, but store it on my phone and Walkman in a slightly smaller format. But leaving them in FLAC/ALAC is fine. 

RockStar2005

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #103 of 471
ce, 

Here is a more recent review I did on a different Norah Jones album in DSD (the SACD one is the DSD version). When you click on the SACD/DSD one and scroll down, you'll see the codec used was "DSD64", which is one of 2 versions of DSD (Note: the 2.8 Mhz sample rate is 64 times the CD sample rate of 44.1 kHz, which is written as ‘64 fs’). As you can see, the DSD version wins out once again with respect to dynamic range, or how "spread out" the music sounds vs the crappy condensed sound of an mp3. lol

RockStar2005

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #104 of 471
IMO, DX50 and FiiO X3 are pretty comparable in SQ. Don't know about your Sony.

One advantages of those DAPs is the power of their headphone amps, which could come into play more with more difficult to drive headphones.
People who buy these small portable DAP's use them mostly with IEM's which don't require much juice, people who carry around cans usually use a more robust setup which includes a potable amp.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #105 of 471
I got one a few weeks ago from amazon.  Got some mdr-1r's to go with them.   No way I'm going to take my home cans out in the wild.  The A17 has a very easy to use interface as my thumb has mastered the buttons already.  My oppo pm-1's sound great out of it, which surprised me.  They will get quite loud with very good sound quality with all my wav and flac files.   (44/16 and up to 96/24 with a few 192/24).  I don't use mp3's so can't report on them.    I must admit I'm very surprised as to how good it sounds.  The digital section is superb.  Don't know what power ratings it has, maybe some one can find out.   Just some thoughts on the A17 dap from a rookie.  
10mw X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back