Sony Walkman NW A3000
May 30, 2012 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

G_T_J

500+ Head-Fier
Well, this is my story.

I know that the above player might be an outdated choice, but I bought it initially for retro-personal reasons. Actually, I used to have an NW A1000 (the 6GB model) many years ago and  when this little beautie came up in front of me on ebay, I couldn't resist.

The thing that I'd like most to share with you, is the fact, that I had totally forgotten how good this thing is in terms of sound quality! In a few words, I have the strong impression that it is proven to be a much better source compared with my Ipod touch 3g which I've been using it non-stop the past 2,5 years.

Specifically, I tested the NW A3000 with my TF 10s, my FA Eterna V.1 and with my Brainwavz Betas as well. Needless to say of course, that all the above IEMs have been used in association with my Itouch in the past and, therefore, I can do a straight comparison between these two players.

The sound with the NW A3000 has a better and wider soundstage and in general, is much more musical to my ears than the sound of the Ipod Touch.

Seems that the good vintage stuff is sometimes better than the todays overhyped technology...

May 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 3
It is a smexy beast!!! I wanted one myself,...I still regret not finding a place to buy it. And I've heard the SQ is excellent,...all Sony's sound better than the iPod's to me. I don't use sensitive & hissy IEM's,...only mid & full sized HP's. The SQ for me on a Sony Walkman mp3 player (I do use the EQ,...NOT a FLAT setting BTW) is #1!!!

But, TBF, I use an iPod classic w/an LOD>Amp mostly. It's for the capacity & convenience. I really have to get around to RockBoxing it eventually,...so it's got comparable SQ to a Sony.

May 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 3
There are still plenty of these on ebay mate. I got mine for 19 pounds. Been a bit lucky I know, but you can grab a good deal if you keep an eye.

Just what you say, the sound is monstrous on the NW A 1000. Ok, it is maybe a bit coloured but it's certainly a lot more musical and addicting than the Ipod sound. This doesn't mean that I don't get details. On the contrary, the details are all there and the soundstage is improved!

Overall, I would go that far and say that I get even better sound than with the combo Ipod Touch> IBAsso T3> TF 10s or FA Eterna or Brainwavz Beta. 

I couldn't imagine that a 7-year old player would give me shivers while listening to my favourite albums and maybe re-inventing them! I had forgotten how good  the NW A1000 was ( I suppose that NW A1000 and NW A 3000 are of the same sound signature and their only difference is the capacity). To be honest, back in 2005 I used my A 1000 with the cheap pair of Sony earphones provided in the package....

EDIT:
This little thing has a line out unamped sound function, so, I'm planing to order a good 3,5 to 3,5 LOD to test it with my IBasso. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back