Sony Walkman - need help - purchase
Apr 21, 2005 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

hifiboom

Head-Fier
Hi all,

just recieved my new Sony Walkman D-NE700, as I am very very happy with the sound quality of this piece and nice user interface, I can`t get it to output higher volumes.

So I started to search the net and found this forum, and finally read about the 1,5 mW thing.

DAMN ****...............

Okay I can return my NE700 to amazon and buy another one.... but which one?

I want a Sony Player. I like the ATRAC feature very much and I think the ATRAC compression is definitly better than MP3 compression format.

What can I do?

- Is there any Sony model´, that does not have this **** limitation?
or
- which shop will send me an US version of one model

PLZ need help........
confused.gif

I want the Sony high-end sound, and ot a crappy disc man..... but can not live with the volume limitation. listening to music is "fun" but without volume it is not.

Apr 22, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 33
Unless you import a new model from outside Europe, you cannot legitimately purchase any Sony Walkman player with higher than 1.5mW in Europe. This is due to European Community laws (drafted primarily by France) prohibiting the maximum SPL from exceeding 100dBA with the stock earbuds.

Apr 22, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 33
E_D: I've also heard that that's a French thing - but it would be new to me, that it has also been passed as EC law. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony crippled the output voltage on the complete european market, though - in order to reduce the number of different models to stock and support, I'd guess.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 22, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifiboom
One alternative for me would be the Iriver IMP 900 .

Will the output on this player also be only 1,5 mW?

pretty ****ty

Not exactly. Those Euro players with higher mW ratings are typically shipped with substantially less efficient buds - Sony's earbuds are extremely efficient to begin with.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
E_D: I've also heard that that's a French thing - but it would be new to me, that it has also been passed as EC law. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony crippled the output voltage on the complete european market, though - in order to reduce the number of different models to stock and support, I'd guess.

When first drafted, it applied only to France. But since France is one of the controlling (primary) nations in the EC, other EC nations (were forced to) adopt that law.

Apr 22, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 33
thank very much for the answers.....

does this shop only send the listed models?
http://www.bluetin.com/stores/deutsc...land_shop.html

which Sony would you go for?

D-NE20 without display but with magnesium case
D-NE720 without display / normal plastic case
D-NE820
D-NE900 without magnesium case but with display
D-NE620 with tuner, no magnesium, no display

???????

all sonys seem to have the same overall features.

dont know which one to go for.....

Apr 23, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 33
E_D: Still sounds exaggerated to me - I'm pretty sure that this is only a recommendation member countries can follow or not. Otherwise there would be numerous lawsuits over here, because there are quite a few brand and "no-name" portables with beefier outputs on the market. However, what really seems obligatory over here is a warning about excessive volumes, at least in the manual. But in terms of "don't sue us, 'cause we've warned you already", such a warning seems to be a good idea for the manufacturers, anyway...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 23, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 33
Re: lower volumes in the EU, I very much doubt Sony has produced different hardware of the same player. My (educated) assumption is that a particular model is identical for all markets but software limited where required.

Exempli gratia, the NW-HD3. The well known limited volume output can be "fixed" via an internal menu option.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same applies to your player.

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Don't buy from Bluetin. Terrible customer service....

what should I do then? I would like to have Sony audio quality but also high volume headphone output......

I do not want a Panasonic CD Player and I find the iRiver`s not to be very stilish......

Apr 24, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifiboom
what should I do then? I would like to have Sony audio quality but also high volume headphone output......

I do not want a Panasonic CD Player and I find the iRiver`s not to be very stilish......

Try Amazon US or Ebay (just buy from someone who has sold loads and has good rating if ur worried about fraud)
and in reply to above, yes EU volume limit is software limited but I think no one has found how 2 fix on CD players. E.g on HD3 instead of going 2 soundpressure menu 2 remove limit, you can change settings 2 a different country, i.e to one that doesn't have EU volume limit but that affects language.

Apr 24, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 33
About the iriver player. I recently bought a flash player that had an EU volume cap. But the cap was 2x15mW vs. 2x18mW.
I emailed iRiver and they told me I could just flash the Korean firmware and change the language of the menu back to English. I did. But it didn't make much difference in volume. My guess is that iRiver keeps their players loud enough but 'puts on a show' to prevent lawsuits.
Anyway. If the iRiver CDplayers have a volume cap, it won't be much and you probably can just flash another firmware on it if it is a problem.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 33
Oh yes, there's one interesting thing to add. The non-European 5mw-rated D-NE Sony's were noticeably higher in output than the international-flashed iRiver iMP-550 (rated at 12mw or something).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back