sony walkman, enough power?
Jan 23, 2002 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

raif

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering if anyone can help me with some information. I would like to know if the sony d-ej series(I have the d-ej615) is powerful enough to drive a decent set of headphones.(like maybe the grado sr-80s) I am just getting back into the more high end audio scene, but I would like something to listen to while walking around campus.
While we're on the subject, if anyone knows how to turn off the infuriating beeping on the d-ej615 everytime I skip tracks they would save me alot of time trying to repurchase the manual from sony. thanks.

Jan 23, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 5
The way to cancel the beep function on Sony players in general (this works on my players dating back 6-8 years) is to hold the stop button down while inserting batteries or plugging the AC adapter in. This is what the instruction manuals say to do. Unfortunately it reverts to the default beep setting evertime power is removed and then reattached.

-Keith

Jan 23, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 5
The lower-end Discman series all use AA cells as their primary source of power, and have a lot of juice for less- efficient cans, although there's a notable amount of distortion at high volumes with Sony headphone amps.

The likes of the 825 and 925 use 'gumstick' cells and have a 5 mW output, meaning you really need fairly effiecient headphones to get volume, if that's your bag. It seems that the lower-end units are designed for over-the-head cans while the PCDP's (like the 925, the model I own) really need buds, although I have a set of KSC-35's on order which sound marvelous.

I think I read that the SR-80s had an average output rating, say 95 dB, which should be OK with the D-EJ615. Is there any way to audition the set-up before you get the phones?

Jan 23, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 5
No real way to test them, there aren't many high end audio stores that sell more than just sennheisers.(like best buy)However, I just jumped on the d-25s bandwagon so I guess I will just have to seperate between my walking around phones and sit and enjoy ones.
By the way, thanks for the info on stopping the beep.

Feb 10, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by meithkiller
The way to cancel the beep function on Sony players.... is to hold the stop button down while inserting batteries or plugging the AC adapter in.

omg thanks haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back