Sony vs. Akg
Feb 12, 2009 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Speedemonv12

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have been searching around and came up with these 4 phones:

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-V500DJ Monitor Series Headphones with Swivel Earcups: Electronics
Amazon.com: Sony MDR-V700DJ DJ Style Monitor Series Headphones: Electronics
AKG K416P Closed-back Headphones | BSWUSA.com
Amazon.com: AKG Closed-Back Foldable DJ Headphones - K81DJ: Electronics

Im looking for something with good clean bass. I listen to a huge range of music, from classical, classic rock, punk rock, hard rock, pop, and my favorites are Trance, House, and HipHop/Rap. What do you guys think would be best out of these? I also need them to be portable. I do a lot of traveling, and want to make sure they are not to big, I sometimes like to keep my phones around my neck, so if they are too big, they are uncomfortable. What do you guys think would be best for me?

thanks!

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 15
Much as I'm not fan of Sony (nice way of saying I don't like Sony headphones at all) I feel that the AKG's might be too weighty in the bass department. however they do have good clean bass, but a lot of it. They're no the most comfortable headphones on the planet. However even with that said, i'd still choose them over a pair of Sony's.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 15
thanks for the info...

I currently have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's, So im used to, and like the bass. im just looking for something better to travel with.

would you suggest one AKG over the other out of the ones that I have selected? and do you think either, or both of them, will be small enough to rest around my neck and not get in the way too much ?

thanks !

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 15
bump
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Around these parts, I believe the V6's are the only respected Sony cans. AKG cans are great, but I believe lot of them are bass-light. Make sure you check that.

Oh, and for your description, I can't help but to suggest Denon AH-D1001. Cheap, very light and comfortable, excellent bass and highs. Only drawback is that they don't isolate well but if that is not an issue with you then I suggest you give it a look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Around these parts, I believe the V6's are the only respected Sony cans.

No.

Anyway, I agree with the K81DJ/K518 recommendation. I tried a pair of the AKG K26P, which look a lot like those K27I you showed minus the volume control. Just based on build, the K81DJ felt more sturdy, which is what I was looking for as my headphones would be in a messenger bag a lot. They hang around my neck with no comfort problem. But, you'll probably have to stretch the headband - their clamping may kill your outer ears at first, no joke. The cord is pretty long so I don't know if that would affect portability for you.

I don't find the K81DJ to be "bass-light" as K_19 mentioned. I think they have plenty of bass and work well with hip-hop.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedemonv12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bumpidy bump

Use the search to search for titles of topics. Plenty of topics about the iGrados and how they sound.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Around these parts, I believe the V6's are the only respected Sony cans.

Not quite true. There are a few Sonys that are worth a listen, but a large number of its headphones cost too much money for their sound quality. In fact, if I were judging headphones for their sound quality, I wouldn't pay even half of Sony's asking price for either of the two DJ-labeled headphones listed in the original post.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #15 of 15
For Sony at that price range, I would get MDR-V6 or 7506. The others (V600 and V700DJ) are not that good IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back