Sony Vaio Pocket VGF-AP1L vs ipod video 5g
Dec 14, 2005 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

uncivilizedamd

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am looking to get either the Sony Vaio Pocket vgf-ap1l or ipod video 5g 30GB. Anybody have opinions on how each sounds, and which one sounds better? I'm just interested in the sound aspect. A particular sound category I'd like addressed is bass. From reviews I've read about 4g ipods and previous versions, the bass response is filtered beneath 40hz. Is that present in the 5g ipods? I'm a basshead so this is important to me.

Also I heard the Vaio has a low volume problem. If anybody can address the volume component of the Vaio vs the Ipod, that'd be great. Also if anybody thinks there's a better player for around 250 and 30GB+ storage space, I'm all ears.

Thanks all for contributing opinions.

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 12
why did you narrow it down to only these two players?
the sony hd-5, iAudio x5 and iRiver h-430 are also very good options.
They all have good sq, and have user-eq. so you can boost the bass-frequencies.

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
why did you narrow it down to only these two players?
the sony hd-5, iAudio x5 and iRiver h-430 are also very good options.
They all have good sq, and have user-eq. so you can boost the bass-frequencies.

Well I don't know much about Cowon, so I didn't take a look at it. The Iriver h-340 is expensive...ebay prices show 300+ and + shipping. The sony hd-5 is around 275 for 20GB so price/GB is high.

I can get the vaio pocket for 200 brand new out the door, so price/GB and bang for the buck is very high. Ebay pricing shows that it can go for over 200 used. The size is a bit on the big side but I can live with it.

I am deciding on the ipod video because I can get it for 250 out the door, it has very good resale value moreso than other mp3 players, 30GB for 250 is ok for price/GB, it's a good size and quite a bit smaller than the vaio pocket, and I hate to say it but coolness factor among the everyday people.

Lasty, I'm not interested in boosting low frequency eq since it causes distortion when its overly boosted and I don't know if this applies to portable audio players but clipping is a concern also.

Basically I am narrowing it down to these two because they are affordable, bang for the buck, price/GB is good or high, popular for the ipod and somewhat well known for the Vaio pocket.

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 12
The Vaio pocket has the usual output specs for Sony 5mW @16ohms, so while not as loud as the ipod, it's fine to drive most portable headphones well enough. The pocket doesn't have a custom equaliser (though it does have good presets) or a replaceable battery. The Pocket does have quite a nice (still) photo feature and can display album coverart, but its hardly a crucial feature. PC connection and recharging on the Pocket is through the cradle only, which can be annoying.

Overall I prefer the NW-HD5 (30GB) which does much the job and is much smaller. Can't comment on the Ipod or other DAP in comparison.

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ_Palmer
The Vaio pocket has the usual output specs for Sony 5mW @16ohms, so while not as loud as the ipod, it's fine to drive most portable headphones well enough. The pocket doesn't have a custom equaliser (though it does have good presets) or a replaceable battery. The Pocket does have quite a nice (still) photo feature and can display album coverart, but its hardly a crucial feature. PC connection and recharging on the Pocket is through the cradle only, which can be annoying.

Overall I prefer the NW-HD5 (30GB) which does much the job and is much smaller. Can't comment on the Ipod or other DAP in comparison.

Actually the Vaio pocket does have a replaceable battery.
Part: A-1088-554-A
You can get it from Sony Direct accessories and Parts. Its 51 bux + tax and shipping if applicable.

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 12
I have owned both and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I had the Sony Pocket VAIO 40gb for 10 months at which point I sold it to get a new video capable iPod (30 gb). I loved the pocket VAIO but had a few issues with it that I felt the iPod addressed, even though I feel the iPod has shortcomings. It came down to what strengths outweighed the weaknesses.

1: I use a Mac at work and at home. Th Pocket VAIO only works with a PC. I do own two PC's at home but one is a dedicated gaming machine and the other is my wife's laptop. I was tired of keeping two music library's. One on the Mac in iTunes and one on the PC for the VAIO and Sonicstage. With the iPod now I have one library that I can easily share between my two Macs. Home and Work.

2: Convienence. The Sony needs the cradle for line out and for charging. The iPod has a zillion accessories to take care of this. There are NO accessories available for the VAIO. NONE.

3: The sony battery slowly discharges when out of the cradle when not in use. So if you are on a long trip or leave it out for 5 days or so it will be dead. I never had it go dead on a trip but came close. With light to moderate use.

That's about it.

I feel the VAIO is made of higher quality materials. It feels solid and does not scratch easy. The screen is gorgeous and the menu system is great. I actually like the touchpad on the Sony better than the wheel on the iPod. I also feel IMHO that the Sony sound quality is better than the iPod. A more warmer, fuller sound. It is plenty loud. It also does not suffer from white noise like the iPod does.

The ease of use with my Mac and the huge availability of accessories for the iPod tipped the scales for me.

The iPod does sound great. It is also made really well although it is a scratch magnet. And iTunes blows the doors off of SonicStage.

The Sony is a way better value if you can live with SonicStage and no accessories. You will also have to cart the cradle around if you want line out.

Hope that helps.

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 12
I have both in fornt of me now and IMO the Ipod is the better chioce. There's not really that much support for the Vaio pocket avalible and the player itself tends to bugger up occasionally, meaning that the touch pad does'nt respond or freezes completly until you reset the unit, its about the same height but its much heavier than the Ipod and its twice as thick. But the Vaio pocket has some advantages, it sounds better (although it has a hiss ) and its battery last up to 20 hours instead of the Ipods poor battery performance.

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 12
IMO the Ipods audio is alot clearer and more neutral, I also find that it has better mids and highs compared to the Vaio pocket. The Vaio definatly has more bass but it sounds abit boxy to me.

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
...the player itself tends to bugger up occasionally, meaning that the touch pad does'nt respond or freezes completly until you reset the unit...

Over the 10 months that I had my VAIO it never once freezed or crashed. I wonder if you have a bad unit. Also I remember reading somewhere that it is picky with some mp3's and if a few corrupted ones are on the player it will have freezing problems.

I agree that there are far more options for the iPod. Way more. As there are NONE for the VAIO.

I also agree that the iPod is more neutral I find it more bright, and clearer. But I find the sound thin compared to the Sony. I am using Shure e4c's which are more detailed and bright to begin with so that may be part of it.

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 12
I've owned both, but not at the same time though. The sony vaio pocket with some eq sounds quite nice(if no amp is used, straight out of headphone out, it sounds better than my iPod). If you use the line-out, it sounds almost the same as the iPod's line out. However, I had some issue about it leaking power when it's not being played (somewhat similar to ipod and many others, but it somehow just leaks more power and I have to charge it more often). So in the end, I sold it and got a G5 iPod. Don't get me wrong, iPod doesn't sound bad, its just that with iPod, you're stuck with eq "off" and eq"flat", you can't tweak the sound to what you really like due to some easily audible distortion with its eq.

Dec 14, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 12
eek.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerith
Over the 10 months that I had my VAIO it never once freezed or crashed. I wonder if you have a bad unit. Also I remember reading somewhere that it is picky with some mp3's and if a few corrupted ones are on the player it will have freezing problems.

I agree that there are far more options for the iPod. Way more. As there are NONE for the VAIO.

I also agree that the iPod is more neutral I find it more bright, and clearer. But I find the sound thin compared to the Sony. I am using Shure e4c's which are more detailed and bright to begin with so that may be part of it.

I think that it was a common problem with Vaio pocket. I remember a review from the register I think that had the same issue. I also hated how the volume reacted when I increased it. It would go from being quiet to really loud with just a single bar increase when using my UM2's. Its a shame that the Vaio pocket comes with so few options, I remember people were selling cases for £40
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back