Sony Vaio Pocket - impressions (long)
Jul 29, 2005 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
I received my VP Tuesday from eCost (a day early). It’s nice to receive a cardboard box instead of a giant plastic force field that requires brain surgery and very sharp tools to open.

Here are comparison pics with my HD1 and NH900 (hi-MD) pics.

The VP is smaller than I expected, but the HD1 is still has a smaller profile/footprint even with its Vaja case. The VP has a nice weight to it. The G-Sense pad is designed for right-handed use, but I'm sure southpaws will be able to use it. The G-Sense will take some getting used to but it’s a nice use of technology. The screen is an adequate size and has adjustable brightness. The font size and type aids in the clarity of the screen. Accessing the menus will take some time, but once I print the full manual and RTFM I should be able to navigate easily.

The dock is considerably larger than the HD1s dock. One gripe I have is that you have to use some force to attach/detach the VP to/from its dock. The HD1 requires minimal effort and has a button that releases the unit. The metal brace is a nice touch that adds stability when the VP is charging. The brace folds up for a smaller profile. Another gripe, I do not like the line out in the dock. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the line out. It would have been ideal to have a separate line out on the unit a la the famed R50 MDR (how I miss thee!). At the very least the Vaio engineers should have taken a cue from their Walkman brethren and used the combo head/line out.

I rarely use remotes with any of my other DAPs because I use the SR71 in my portable rig and I see no need for them. However, I might have to start using the remote since there is no line out on the unit and I may want to save the G-sense pad some wear and tear. The remote has a bright screen and the same font as the unit, but it looks as though it was designed as an afterthought. The pin is not compatible with any of the other Sony remotes I have. I own the 40elk remote which works flawlessly with the NH900 and HD1. The design of the 40elk is different from the VP, but it would have/should have been easy for the Vaio engineers to pillage the vast Sony parts bin for a "standard" stick remote.

I have SS 3.1 and transferring my 997 song music library took about 5 minutes. No problems. I've downloaded some pics and used the photo viewer. It’s a frivolous feature that eats up battery life, but its nice to look at pics while the music is playing.

OK, but how does it sound? My portable rig is the HD1/SR71/Sensa 2XS. I like this rig for its sound quality, isolation, battery life and portability. These impressions are taken at home without being subjected to the background noises of a train and commuters. The SR71s pot is set at 9 o’clock. Overall, there are minute differences between the HD1 and VP that I would not perceive in my daily commute. I would attribute that to the HD1 being 7 months old and broken in.

Mysteron/Portishead – Pops and clicks engineered into the song are detailed for both units, but I find the bass of the HD1 a bit more visceral.

Narrow Daylight/Diana Krall - The VP seems to have a forward presentation whereas the HD1 is set a smidge back. The details of the guitar pluck the piano keys and the brush on the drums on the VP is a bit fatiguing while the HD1 gets it right. Vocals sound (dare I say) more analog/organic on the HD1.

Be Your Husband (live)/Jeff Buckley – Again, VP seems more forward, but since it’s a simpler track of him singing and clapping it’s not fatiguing. Background noises - phone ringing, girl laughing, and various conversations are detailed for both units and add a nice ambience to the track.

Overall, I am impressed with the design, capacity, UI, and feature set of the VP. I am strongly biased toward the sound of the HD1/SR71/Sensa 2XS, but I can get used to the slightly more forward presentation of the VP.

Things to fix IF there is another version - line out on the unit (preferably separate from the headphone out), build a better remote or at least have compatibility with Walkman stick remotes, customizable EQ settings, maybe a larger screen.

IMHO the VP is not worth paying retail, but for the low 200s, the VP is really a good bargain and a great first attempt by the Sony VAIO group.

Regards - reynman

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm in absolute agreement. I too wish that the Sony MD remotes functioned with the VP as I supremely prefer the jog dial to the rocker buttons on the VP remote. I wish they had either a dedicated line out for obvious reasons and mini usb plug for file transfers and such. I was thinking maybe a dongle version of the docking station that had the line out and usb plug (and maybe allow usb charging). Video would be a nice touch (although the screen is a smidge too small for great viewing) and would really make the player deserve the VAIO title (Video Audio Integrated Operation). My last item on the wishlist is if a 3rd party company such as Red Chair (can you hear me out there?) provided an alternative to the very nice, albeit limited, sony firmware. Maybe they can provide the drag drop feature that didn't DRM everything automatically ala Archos. Otherwise, I highly recommend this player at it's current price point of slightly above $200.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 15
Great review, I love my Vaio pocket but it just does'nt seem portable enough for me so today I'm gonna pop down the local shop and get a NW-HD5. The Vaio pocket IMO takes to long to load albums and forward to the nest sony. There's also been a couple of occasions were the whole unit freezez until either the battery runs out or I press the reset button thats located at the bottom of the unit. I think the Vaio pocket had some potential but I think the size and sometimes buggy G-Sensor held it back abit. I also think that the sound on the Vaio pocket is very detailed, I could a better seperation in the instruments than I could with my Iriver IHP-120, but I also think that the bass is very 'Boxy'. What I mean by that is the Vaio pocket only seems to play only the thump and detail but lacks the neccessary boom. All in all I was very happy with my Vaio pocket but its time to move on.

May I suggest getting a case from www.pdair.com they seem to be the only place where a case is avalible for the Vaio pocket

Aug 1, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 15
I had ordered the PDair case the same day I ordered the VP. Just waiting for it to arrive. I'll probably hack a left over PSP screen protector for the VP. As I type this, I am watching my slideshow on the VP and listening to the newly purchased e507 (really nice flash player!).

I like the sound coming from the VP, though I have to get more accustomed to not using the SR71. I have been tempted to lug around the dock (line out), but I am trying to be more minimal with my portable rig!

My wallet is suffering the past 2 weeks!
icon10.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 15
Jeff,

Breakdown some more and order the PDAir case. I received mine today - it looks and smells nice. It fits the VP very well and has enough cushion to protect it just in case it's dropped. I have been spoiled by Vaja cases for my iPod and HD1. The Vaja leather seems more natural than the PDAir. Just being nit picky. Anyway, as long as the PDAir does it job. IMHO, $28 well spent.

Sorry no pics. The digi camera has been misplaced permanently.
frown.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 15
I received my PDAir case Saturday and I was pleasantly surprised with the fit/finish. Great service too (5 days from China...YMMV).

The Vaio case that came with my unit was a joke.

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
The Vaio case that came with my unit was a joke.

Wha? I didn't even get a crappy case with my VP! I used the stock PSP neoprene case this past week. Did its job.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 15
Jeff,

My VP did not have the firmware update when it shipped from eCost. It's an easy download from their website and these are some of the updated features:

This new Firmware includes a total of 34 updates, from which some of the key updates are:

* MP3 playback feature which will allow MP3 transfer and playback without transfer to ATRAC
* Gapless playback
* High speed scroll function
* Possibility to change the screen template
* Faster performance

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Yep, it came with this:

VGPAMC4.jpg

Looks OK, but the fit makes me believe it was made for the 20G model.

Hey Rick,

Did you buy your VP thru ECost? I didn't get this case or the hand strap with my VP...makes me wonder...

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 15
I got it in the mail, opened, and the very first impression was favorable. The build quality is great, and it is indeed made in Japan. Transfered 1300 songs in about 9 or 10 minutes with SS 3.2. I'll let it burn in some before I give the audio a good listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back