Sony V6 tight enough for DJing?
Feb 3, 2002 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

meme4me

New Head-Fier
Hi just wondering what you V6 fanatics and antagonists have to say about the isolation of V6 whether it is suitable for Djing, compared to say, tighter(unfortunately more uncomfortable) cans like HD 25?

Also does the beyer pad simply makes it more comfortable or increase sound isolation too?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 19
V6 suitable for DJing? Very.

I haven't tried the HD25, but my roommate has a pair of the famous V700DJ standard. So I'll compare with that.

Isolation is very good, on par with the V700DJ. They clamp very good for one-side monitoring too. You have to be careful when you put them around your neck: the drivers have a tendency to choke you.
smily_headphones1.gif
You have to make sure you point them toward the front. They are built solid and they won't break easily.

The only problem I can foresee is the pads wearing down. My DJ friend used a pair of V500DJ with similar pleather pads, and they wore down in about 6 months. The cans are still usable, but they don't look as good. You could buy new 7506 pads from Sony for $10, or you could get the Beyer ones for $20.

If you're thinking about getting a pair of V6 for DJing, please do it! They're excellent for that purpose and they are an awesome value.

(BTW, on the Global Underground "Transmission" DVD, you can see DJ superstar Nick Warren using a pair of V6. I think they're a safe bet)

Feb 3, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Also does the beyer pad simply makes it more comfortable or increase sound isolation too?

I can't see that they would. The isolation comes mostly from the fact the the back of the headphones are completely closed. That's the main difference between open and closed headphones. The material of the earpad should make less difference.

The V6's are plenty tight to stay on your head. In fact, I found them way too tight for normal listening, so I bent them a bit to loosen them.

Feb 4, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 19
Hi the reason im not throwing my credit card at the nearest store that carries sony v6/7506s to purchase one is that I have found a good source that sells cheap HD 25, only $120, that is about 30 more expensive than 7506 and is supposedly very very good quality.

Hence in this case the v6/7506 doesnt have the price edge over the HD 25 (not much anyway) and im just wondering if the sound quality and everything else on the HD 25 justify the extra 30 bucks.
confused.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 19
Well, you could buy the v6 (same thing as the 7506) from etronics.com for $55, in which case the price edge would very much remain in place.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 19
But I live in Australia and I dont think etronics.com ships internationally
frown.gif
so does anyone know any online stores that ship overseas and have cheap cheap v6/7506s??

Feb 4, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 19
Are you referring to the HD25-1 or the HD25sp headphones? I have had a play with the latter, and they have a very "in your face" presentation in addition to being extremely effecient. While I found this to be exciting at first, after some extended listening they proved to be too full-on and fatiguing.

The clamped my head tightly which I imagine would be ideal for DJ purposes and isolation should not be an issue. I believe several sports commentators use a variation of the HD25s (with a mic?) for outside broadcasts, so the isolation must be pretty good.

My only concern would be the build quality. While the Senns (HD 25sp) are very sturdy phones, the Sony's are an order of magnitude sturdier I believe. In particular the cord which is straight, rather thin and double sided on the Senns is thicker, coiled and single sided on the Sonys. The Sony's will also fold down better for travel. The HD 25-1 look to have a more robust and single-sided cord cf. the HD 235sp's.

If you decide to buy in Australia, the HD25sp will set you back in the region of AU$300 and the HD25-1 around AU$500. You could probably get better deals if you shopped around. The Sony MDR 7506 (V6 not available in Australia) will set you back around AU$250, but I got mine for about AU$220.

Happy hunting
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by meme4me
But I live in Australia and I dont think etronics.com ships internationally
frown.gif
so does anyone know any online stores that ship overseas and have cheap cheap v6/7506s??

I guess you can search Amazon and see which etailers that carry these cans ship overseas. I have the 7506's and they are great cans, in fact i'm listening to the verve pipe right now with my 25S discman. Very clean sound.

Feb 4, 2002 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 19
Hi stymie miasma,
The HD 25 model im refering to is the expensive one not the cheap sp model, unlike the sp model the HD 25 is single sided and the cord is easily replaceable, so in terms of sturdiness and durability its probably on par with v6/7506.

As i said the HD 25 costs US$120, which is AU$240 roughly, same price as buying 7506 in australia, in terms of resale value i think the HD 25 is a better buy then, because it sells in australia for far higher prices. I know many people here rave about the analytical sound of V6/7506, but perhaps for Djing the deeper bass on the HD 25 is more suitable?? (not meaning to elicit the wrath of V6 worshippers, just bringing this out for the sake of having a topic of discussion to help me choose the better cans?)

Thanks

Feb 4, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 19
From what I've heard, the HD25 doesn't have as deep bass as the V6... in fact, I havent quite heard of much anything having as deep bass and bass extension as the V6...

If you haven't already, check out the many, many discussions on DJ headphones that I participated in on the www.tranceaddict.com forums.

Feb 4, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 19
I'd try the new HD280 pro. they're tight but comfortable, and the isolation is pretty amazing. I'm not a pro DJ or anything, but I mess around and I've found that these things work great. Better sound than the HD25 in my opinion.

The 7506 is good, too, and I used them for many years. they're not as snug as the 280, though, and I think the 280 has the edge in terms of sound. The 7506s are popular for a reason, though, but I'd give the 280 a try.

Feb 4, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 19
i went to a club last friday and both djs in different rooms were wearing sony v6 (7506). i don't know if they're eq'ed for beat matching like the 700dj, but thay are a lot sturdier, more comfortable, and much better sounding. hope that helps.
cool.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 19
A friend of mine is a DJ and he had this to say about headphones--bass good. That is, when he's mixing stuff on the fly the last thing he cares about is a flat response. He doesn't really need a detailed or accurate headphone either. So he found the V6/7506 to not be very good. The boomy V600s and other Sony cans that virtually everyone on this forum, myself included, will shun are the ones he likes.

Simply put, he needs to be able to hear the bass of what he's mixing over the music of the club and portability doesn't afford him an EQ.

For pure *studio* use, the V6/7506 are adequate but I think most people here would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 over them and short of that there are still a lot of people who use Yamahas.

Kelly

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 19
I think one thing that makes a big difference is what they use as a mixer. For example, all the DJ's that I pursuaded to upgrade from the V700DJ's to the V6's are really, really, really happy, but one noticed that, on some mixers (which apparently have no bass whatsoever...) the V6's were inadequate, while the V700's, which will have bass no matter WHAT signal you give them, worked better in such cases...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back