Sony V6 Mod: Bass(No Earpad)
Jun 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
I just modded my V6. 

Quick info: You don't have to do both of the mods. You can just choose to do one. The first mod is easily undo-able. Just put the foam back in. The second one is also kind of undo-able. You just have to tape the vent from inside. I personally didn't like recessed lower mids and not punchy bass, so I did this. There is a same mod for this for SRH940 as well, if anyone wants to try.

1. Remove the foam dampers in the drivers: Opens up the sound by a bit.

2. Drill a 1mm bass vent. This give much more impactful and punchy bass. It does sacrifice a tiny bit of clarity though. Also, lower mids become slightly more thicker, resulting in a warm/neutral sound. Treble stays more or less the same.

This is with SRH940 earpad.

I just did this because I was bored and I bought the V6 to experiment/mess around. I guess after all, the sound signature totally changed. It feels much more open and warm, but it does sacrifice a tiny bit of clarity.

*I forgot to mention this. You need to do a slight EQ to boost the lower mids. Once EQed a bit, modded V6 sounds magical.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 9
Here is my impression. Read the review against stock V6.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/665919/100-300-headphones-review-ath-m50-vs-ath-ad700-vs-hd598-vs-srh940-vs-dt1350-vs-v6-vs-modded-v6-vs-bose-oe-updated-6-19-13

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Im thinking about getting these I have Dre. Beats Studio's and the bass and Clarity is **** lets be honest. Im turning into amps Fiio E7 found one for about 40$ where I live. For headphones looking for best 80-120$ headphones over ear for bass and clarity a lot have recommended Sony V-6's for my Price Range and so forth. What EQ do you use? If you don't mind me asking I would like to do this when I order mine (THE MODDING THAT IS) I like bass [ But I don't muddy bass I like punchy bass] I like to hear every sound with a boom. I will listen to them the default way to see how they sound but I wouldn't mind testing them out otherways. Dre Beats Studio just sound Muddy in Bass.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 9
  Im thinking about getting these I have Dre. Beats Studio's and the bass and Clarity is **** lets be honest. Im turning into amps Fiio E7 found one for about 40$ where I live. For headphones looking for best 80-120$ headphones over ear for bass and clarity a lot have recommended Sony V-6's for my Price Range and so forth. What EQ do you use? If you don't mind me asking I would like to do this when I order mine (THE MODDING THAT IS) I like bass [ But I don't muddy bass I like punchy bass] I like to hear every sound with a boom. I will listen to them the default way to see how they sound but I wouldn't mind testing them out otherways. Dre Beats Studio just sound Muddy in Bass.

Its a E07K the AMP Im A beginner to becoming a Audiophile.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Hello kimvictor, I'm hoping you could answer a question for me about this mod. I want to try it out, but the noise isolation (esp in the human-voice range) on my 7506's is pretty important to my enjoyment of them. Does this mod effect isolaton in a noticeable way to you?

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 9

Sorry for late response. But I EQ down the bass tiny bit and add more lower mids. Bass becomes super punchy.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 9
  Hello kimvictor, I'm hoping you could answer a question for me about this mod. I want to try it out, but the noise isolation (esp in the human-voice range) on my 7506's is pretty important to my enjoyment of them. Does this mod effect isolaton in a noticeable way to you?

Not in a noticeable way. The bass vent won't affect it too much. The pad will.(valour isolates less than the stock pad). But the difference in isolation is minor.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 9
  Not in a noticeable way. The bass vent won't affect it too much. The pad will.(valour isolates less than the stock pad). But the difference in isolation is minor.

Thank you for the info.

I did try the velour pads and returned them when I noticed they had less isolation in the human voice range.

I'm going to do the mod and try it out.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 9

Thank you for the info.

I did try the velour pads and returned them when I noticed they had less isolation in the human voice range.

I'm going to do the mod and try it out.

BTW, do know that this mod is reversible. If you don't like the sound change, just tape up the vent, and your V6 will be back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back