Sony V6 Comfort
Oct 18, 2001 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 16
Crushing? I thought the term was "tight". That's a made-for-dj's feature, that tightness, by the way. Anyways, there's a simple stretch mod to fix any discomfort from them being too tight, and, if you buy the beyerdynamic dt250 velour replacement pads, the V6's are even more comfortable.

But, even unmodded, they are generally comfy. And when they ARE modded to your satisfaction, they get even more comfortable.

Oct 18, 2001 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 16
jude: How would you compare the V6 to, say, the HD600 in terms of detail alone?

I'm sorry for getting off-topic - but these phones have SUCH a rep.......I just had to ask.

Remember - detail alone. I mean, I'd be willing to get "smooth" ICs and a "warm" source if the cans themselves were capable of the detail......

rolleyes.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

coolvij said...

jude: How would you compare the V6 to, say, the HD600 in terms of detail alone?

I'm gonna jump in real quick. I already know there'll be differing opinions here, based on the recent AKG 501 thread. And I can only speak for the 580s, but the V6s do better revealing detail in the highs and really low bass, while I give the 580s the edge everywhere else. But the V6 is quite competitive in this area. Keep in mind that hearing that detail in the mid-range is kinda tough, due to the V6s relatively constricted soundstage.

Oct 18, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 16
I have a huge freakin' head and the V6s are comfortable.

Detail of V6 vs. HD580. Well, V6s have a very detailed sound unamped... not a fake "bright" detail, but actual detail.
HD580s have a ton of detail (hoping to get more detail out of them when my silver ICs arrive), but it doesn't jump out at you like it does with the V6s. The HD580s sound a lot more lifelike... hard to describe, but the same details sound different and somehow better.

Oct 18, 2001 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Jon, that's actually a very good description.

I agree with Jon that they 600's have an overall more natural sound. But I agree with dhwilkin about the detail at the top and bottom. If my goal, for example, was to listen to every last possible detail in the recording of a bunch of cymbals, I'd probably go with the V6's. And if I was listening for every detail from timpani, I'd also go with the V6's. However, for most (not all) music I listen to, the HD-600's put the picture together better for me. For pop and some rock -- and even some jazz and classical -- I plug my V6/7506's in.

Regarding the comfort issue: Again, I find the V6's very comfortable -- I can wear them for hours without issue, especially with the Beyer pads. But some (not all) with big heads find them too tight. I know neil can't wear them for too long.

To answer your question, vij, the V6's have detail -- some find to a fault (not me). And they definitely have a ton of impact.

Oct 18, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 16
This doesn't really relate to the detail question....or perhaps it does
smily_headphones1.gif

As Jude alluded to, I really enjoy the impact of the 7506s. When I was auditioning the HD 580/600s, I found them too laid back and uninvolving for my tastes. One day I'd like to re-audition with a dedicated amp etc, but for now the 7506s are on the money!

Does anyone else find the 7506's sound 'digital'? I don't mean that is a bad way, perhaps I am referring to their ability to border on the analytical. I just remember when I first heard them, I got a sensation similar to that when I first heard a CD after always buying vinyl. Once again, perhaps it is just the overall clarity of the 7506s compared to old headphones and speakers...I dunno...like I said, it was just a sensation - and not a bad one by any means!

Actually, from Tomcat's descriptions, I think the Beyer 770s would make a lovely headphone to have in addition to the 7506s.

Oct 18, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 16
Actually, getting back to the thread, the only two (minor) gripes I have with the 7506s regarding comfort are:

1. Warm ears. I have the Beyer pad mod which helps ENORMOUSLY here, but I am by nature, sensistive to heat, so I need to have a breather every hour or so. No big deal.

2. I have gently stretched the headband as I have a large (boof) head. This makes things pretty good as far as clamping force goes, but now the headband takes more of the weight. Every now and then this can become a LITTLE uncomfortable (but not significantly) and I notice the pressure on ther top of my skull. Once again, this is a minor minor quible. A whisker more padding in the headband would help here...a la the 7509s perhaps?

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

When I was auditioning the HD 580/600s, I found them too laid back and uninvolving for my tastes. One day I'd like to re-audition with a dedicated amp etc

If you used them without a dedicated amp, I guarantee they'll sound laid back and uninvolving. The HD580/600 *require* not just an amp, but a good, powerful amp.

stymie, you'll probably really enjoy upgrading your V6 to Beyer 250 velour pads.

Oct 18, 2001 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 16
I already have the Beyer velour pads and yes....mmmm...enjoyment
biggrin.gif

As for the HD580/600s, I can't for the life of me recall what amp I was running these through, but the store was higher-end HiFi and sells the likes of Arcam, Music Fidelity etc. That said, it was not a dedicated headphone amp, just the headphone jack out of a power amp.

This is where I also auditioned the K301s and 501s which I also enjoyed, but once again found the lack of impact unsatisfying.

In light of what you have said MacDEF, I must go back and get them to hook me up with the XCans headphone amp (the only one they sell unfortunately). It may be a revelation!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

stymie miasma said...

Does anyone else find the 7506's sound 'digital'?

I don't usually hear a 'digital' sound unless I happen to be listening to a poor recording. Now, if you want 'digital-sounding' headphones, IMO, go listen to some Senn 200s.

Oct 19, 2001 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 16
jude, jon, dhwilkin, etc: I think I actually have made my decision now. The V6 are cheap enough to get THIS year (new toy: yipee!!), and should have a decent resale value.

And if they sound crisp.....almost TOO crisp, I think I may like it with Coltrane at least - my Senn. 495s make Trane sound SWEET at times when he should sound, well, filled with ANGUISH.

Kinda strange.........

Thanx for the info - I *have a plan*

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back