sony v6 & beyer velour pads questions / tips & tricks for v6 owners
May 9, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #31 of 41
hey stereth, i've had these v6's for i don't know how many years. i've had them as long as i've been married at that's 11 years but i know it's been longer than that. if yours a very new i can see how it would have been much easier. mine were a mess so it complicated things.

and that's something that i've noticed too. I used to have to be so careful taking the v6's out of my briefcase to avoid damaging the pleather anymore and keeping it from getting it on me. it's so nice to be able to just reach in and grab them without having to worry about that.

i'm now in my fourth day of wear with the mod and i love 'em. i'm beginning to think i was listening too hard the first two days and was hearing the same level of outside noise as before but just thought it was more.

and the level of comfort is, as you pointed out, soooo much better. i hadn't noticed it but you're right - the band is not pressing on my head as much as before.

just a great mod.

i checked the 250's on beyerdynamic before ordering the pads and the optional accessories list didn't include the foam inserts. i probably should have ask if i could get them when i ordered. oh well. maybe for my next set!

Jan 14, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #32 of 41
I bought a pair of V6's about 7 months ago, and have finally gotten around to doing this mod. I just want to echo the sentiments that it is well worth doing. So much more comfortable!

The sonic change is aggreable to my ears. But more importantly - for those of you who like the V6 sond as is - the change is nominal with respect to the gain in comfort.

I also had a bad experience with Beyer customer service. I placed an order but never received my shipment. Four days after the pads were scheduled to arrive I called them (actually I had to call twice) and they found the order in their system but it had not been filled. That's pretty disorganized. They did kindly remove the shipping charges for the error however. Bottom line appears to be that Beyer is not very responsive to "end user" customers, so I would recomend following up on any order within a day or two.

Feb 5, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #34 of 41
I also want to do this mod. However after looking at their website, I did not see these ear pads? Can I still get them or are have they stopped selling them? Is the best way to order them just to call?

Feb 5, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by skiguy411
I also want to do this mod. However after looking at their website, I did not see these ear pads? Can I still get them or are have they stopped selling them? Is the best way to order them just to call?

just give em a ring at this no.: 800.293.4463

Feb 6, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #36 of 41
Yet another problem with ordering from Beyerdynamic over the phone. When I first placed my order, everything was fine. I waited ten or twelve days, called back, and was told they had been doing inventory after the Christmas holiday and wouldn't ship anything until the next day, something the original person I spoke to conveniently forgot to mention. I wait another week and a half, make a third call, and they can't find my order at all. So I re-submit the order, and a few days later, my pads come and all is well. Until, a few days after that, another set of pads arrives. Obviously, my first order wasn't lost, just neglected for no reason, and I was stuck with two pads. I just sent back the second pair recently, though after the trouble I've had so far I hardly expect them to even credit my account. Ah well, at least the pads are a big improvement.

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #38 of 41
Just ordered a pair $19.95 + $5 S&H. I guess could've asked to send by mail to save a couple $$$. Didn't think of it.

This probably sells better for them than the headphones, and maybe at a higher margin too. Who knows, maybe they're even trying to improve on materials because they'd have a hard time identifying who's buying replacements for Beyer and who's doing it for Sony.

BTW, Great thanks to all the posters for intial info and keeping the thread alive!

Sep 2, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #39 of 41
I gave this mod a try and was absolutely successful.

I knew from the beginning that I wouldn't give a crap about the terrible pleather pads - so the moment these came in the mail with the velour pads, I tore off the pleather pads and got to work cutting off the foam on the pads to get to the driver cover. I managed to get the thing perfectly using a pair of scissors, but I stretched one cover slightly. It's not noticeable.

For someone considering the V6s, this mod is an absolute must. I remember using my dad's pair of V6s a long time ago, and while good and excellent sounding, they got really, really uncomfortable after a good half-hour of use. So the moment I got these, I tore off the crap pads and put on the new ones.

If you use scissors to cut off the driver covers, you can get this simple mod finished in 10 minutes, max. Here's my advice: never do both at the same time. Do them one at a time. Don't try to pull apart the foam cover -- just cut it off with scissors, or if you're a perfectionist, a stitch ripper. Just be careful not to stretch out that cover.

Getting on the new pads can be a bit of a hassle. What I did was use the back of a swiss army knife to push it in there. Getting around the edge can be sort of tricky but it's definitely doable well if you are patient with the annoying part of holding it in place.

Jan 5, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #40 of 41
Just completed this took about 10 mins.

Managed to do it all with my bare hands. Didn't have too much trouble with the glue, a few patches of pleather came off but most of the glue actually stayed on the original pads not the foam.

they do seem more comfortable, 'surround' my ear more, the pad is thicker so they don't squish my ear much.

SOUND: (warning: vague adjectives ahead)

The sound is different. The bass is more prominant, but not overdone. At times it seems almost to resonate. I didn't realize how different it was until I listened to Moby's 'Bed' off 18 B-sides. The bass is almost fatiguing right now, but i have been madly switching songs to compare the sound so that could be it.

The treble seems slightly diminished, slightly muted, especially some vocals. It's very hard to discern what the difference is, it seems to be more in the mid range and is hardly noticable. Some songs seem more 'layered' than before , for example with guitar and vocals more 'prominant' that backup parts. It may just be a function of the 'expanded' bass (or could be entirely in my head!)

Anyway, a great mod, and a necessary one as the seam had split on one of my pads revealing the yellow foam in the pad.

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #41 of 41
Got the V6s on a Friday, velour pads today (Monday). They feel a bit bulky at first, but you have to get used to the fact they don't squish like the pleather. It is like putting your ears against a pillow though.

Anyways, the pads cost about $26 US. I don't have the 800 number handy, but when you dial it, punch in extension 12 and ask for Gerrad (sounds like Jared). He took care of my order and that extension is for sales. You'll get it shipped out by UPS that day, and they'll even confirm your order via email witha tracking number. It was pretty sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back