Sony V-700s really that bad? (comprehensive long)
Dec 24, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #16 of 28
If the V700 is the kindred spirit of the 7509 then it isn't totally bad (blimey... guess we're all crawling out of the woodwork here
wink.gif
)

Sure the mids are a bit congested, the mid-bass a bit bloated... and the treble a bit dry ~ but in my earlier days I thought a $30 pair of Ross 'phones sounded really good...

Even after one of the drivers died... and I replaced it with the speaker from out of my Sinclair QL and they sounded fine again...

You don't HAVE to spend $$$ to get a good sound... a sound you enjoy is a lot better in my opinion than a tonally accurate sound that fails to give you any foot-tapping fun!

Dec 24, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 28
It depends on what you're comparing with. The 7509 isn't a kindred spirit, it's an identical twin in different clothes, and there are times I do find them very useful. However I wouldn't consider using them at home or for anywhere I would say the absolute quality of sound becomes very important. When writing the first reply on this thread, I went straight from a CD1700 to the 7509. I was glad I hadn't had dinner yet
biggrin.gif

As a 'fixed use' phone, the V700 is about as inappropriate, terrible sounding and poor value for money as you can get (actually the 7509 is even worse value given the identical sound, but we won't go into that). But as an extrovert portable phone, I think it's a pretty good choice.

Dec 24, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #18 of 28
I thought that the idea behind bashing the V-700s and V-900 and that whole line was this—you can buy a much cheaper can and get better sound. I only have experience with the Denon AH-D950s, which can be had for a smaller amount of cash and does sound better. I know that there are more out there that do as well. Having heard the Sony a bit and the Denon a lot, the inferiority of the V-700 is obvious given the price. That said, perhaps the V-700 could be considered 'good' in the 40-50$ range or so. At retail or even eBay price, no fricken way.

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 28
Value? That depends. The only closed non-Sony DJ phones which offer comparable sealing and portability for less are the HD212 and the newly introduced PX200... And in the US, the V6. I'm not aware of any others. The PX200 is a very good alternative but it can easily end up sounding worse than the V700 if it doesn't fit right (and for me, it didn't). The HD212 is...well I suppose it's not too bad a value given it's price but it does sound pretty bad, and it doesn't fold, making it more bulky than the V700 for transport. The V6 isn't available outside the US.
So that pretty much leaves the V700 standing on their own, alongside the HD280 Pro at that kind of price range (In the UK, £80ish discounted from £100 retail).
The 280's are a much better phone sonically but loses out on (pop/rock) musical involvement with portables I think. The 280's are lighter but maybe slightly less comfortable than the V700 and slightly less portable. And practically every other DJ headphone out there is more expensive... So I wouldn't call them particularly bad value.

Dec 25, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #20 of 28
I don't claim to know everything or more than headphone experts, but I know the BASICS of what can physically make good sound to realistic, uncompressed levels, also I'm an electrical engineering major, obscessed with the inner-workings of loudspeakers. Don't give me theoretical spl numbers and curves that assume the manufacturer rates SPL accurately. None do otherwise a 15-20mW portable would drive nearly any low impedance cans louder than an ear bleeding rock concert on those 100+db/mW headphones, in fact that portable would drive 100+db 600 ohm pair LOUDLY if that were true and the bass on almost headphone no matter how cheap BASED ON SPECS would SOUND (I didn't say feel) like a huge, low FS subwoofer! I've heard subs that hurt and make ears ring fast and they were only 88db/1w, but they had displacement, lots of it. I KNOW nobody can tell me a "gutless" portable can drive ANY existing headphone to that of a loud concert WITH simular or even more monstrously loud bass if the bass were also that efficient and deep. NO spl and response specs are all marketing, NOBODY HAS EVEN BOTHERED TRYING proving it otherwise, and I can't believe how many people actually believe such BS.

Everyone, Efficiency IS NOT RELEVANT in sub-bass reproduction. May be in mids and highs or mid-bass, not sub-bass. JL Audio tutorials explains this quite well, even though they do make car audio gear where overblown specs are rampant, they are right about this. Displacement capability and voice coil overhang (linear excursion) determine this, not spl. Actual reference SPLs are based on Fs, Qes, and Vas, and no headphone driver coupled or not will make 100+db at 1mW with frequencies 20-40Hz or every teenager who bumps his boomy car subs at well over 120dbs would have a pair of headphones too that could do the same, however NO headphone does 120db in these frequencies because its physically impossible from 4-5cm over-ear drivers. Estimated effective dome areas: Sennheisers: 0.58in2 SD, V-600/Grado 60/80: 0.95in2, V-700: 1.4in2. Clearly why Sennheisers take minimal low frequency power to overdrive, they have no more x-max than the others and even if they did the highs would still suffer from the reactance changes due to the huge coil overhang outside the gap as well as huge physical excursions. More area is what is most important. The V-700s have enough, but apparently nobody else has taken a look at their headphone drivers and wondered or I would get helpful advice as oppose to flames and efficiency misconceptions. If someone wants to give me SPL numbers, let it be ones they measured themselves and frequencies measured as well or its a useless number.

Dec 25, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Don't give me theoretical spl numbers and curves that assume the manufacturer rates SPL accurately

Who said that these curves were given by the manufacturer? They were drawn from headphone.com's own measurements. Also I did a search for 'SPL' in this thread and the only matches I found were from your posts
rolleyes.gif

Also what does it mean for phones to drive up to 100dB of 20Hz or 40Hz if it can't reproduce those frequencies in correct proportion with higher frequencies? (either too much or too little is bad)

E.g. the Senns may be much easier to make bottom out than many other full-size phones but if you aren't bottoming it out it gives more accurate amounts of bass than many other phones.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 25, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #23 of 28
I can think of the Panasonic/Technics RP-DJ12## series, the Pioneer HDJ-1000 and the IXOS MoS DJ1001 off the top of my head as headphones that are better than the Sony V700DJ for DJing.

Dec 25, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #24 of 28
Wow! Nice to see the same wars going on
very_evil_smiley.gif

This time a scientific explanation as well - what can I say?

Hope to argue more in the new year, but regrettably headphones are the last thing on my mind right now. Merry Christmas everyone.

Dec 26, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Wow! Nice to see the same wars going on
very_evil_smiley.gif

This time a scientific explanation as well - what can I say?

Hope to argue more in the new year, but regrettably headphones are the last thing on my mind right now. Merry Christmas everyone.

Team V700 (a/k/a Team ShinyPrettyPhone) seems to be back - or is it?

Well, I gave my REAL opinion of the V700 in this thread. But I personally prefer my MDR-7506's and my Senn 600's on most types of music - and maximum power-handling capacity and maximum decibel level be screwed!
tongue.gif

BTW, the bass drum sometimes sounds like castanets on my 7506's. But on the other hand, the rhythm guitar on many classic rock tracks often sounds like a ukulele on the V700's.

Jan 7, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

None do otherwise a 15-20mW portable would drive nearly any low impedance cans louder than an ear bleeding rock concert on those 100+db/mW headphones, in fact that portable would drive 100+db 600 ohm pair LOUDLY if that were true and the bass on almost headphone no matter how cheap BASED ON SPECS would SOUND (I didn't say feel) like a huge, low FS subwoofer!

Not that I've ever actually tried listening to a portable full blast through headphones, but I've gotten close enough to where I know that a 15-20mW portable will definitely drive low impedance cans to ear-bleeding rock concert levels if that's your wish (it's your hearing...). And it would also drive 600ohm pairs loudly, but the sound quality would obviously suffer.

Edit: And I can't believe you actually fried a pair of HD600s. If you blew them while actually listening to them, then you'd have something else fried - your hearing!

Jan 7, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #27 of 28
This thread worries me - the fact that headphones are being compared purely by how loud they go or how loud they CAN go is just wrong.

It's about as scientific as hifi NON-understanding peoples normal test of equipment; how loud does it go, how much bass does it have.

It's called tyre-kicking.

I don't pretend to understand how SPL works or how displacement or x-max works, but I'm fairly certain that the facts and figures are different for headphones than they are for speakers.
For one thing when listening to a subwoofer displacement is important because you're generally filling a large area with sound so you need to shift a bit of air to feel impact. If you stuck the sub in your toilet with your head and sealed it, I'm pretty sure you'd need a hell of a lot less excursion, displacement or x-max to pop your eyeballs.
Headphones are right next to your ears, in a lot of cases you've got a vague seal happening so you only need to shift very, very small volumes of air to feel it.

But if you measure sound quality by how loud it goes, how much bass there is and what specs the equipment has you're only fooling yourself.
These days I hardly even bother looking at specs, I glance at them to get a vague idea of how they might be best matched to other equipment, but there's no way I can even get an idea as to how things are going to sound based on specs alone.

Jan 7, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #28 of 28
hmmm...

i still have yet to realize what your point is....so what if it can produce loud bass? ever heard of quality, not quantity? so what if it's loud? loud could mean it sounds like CRAP....and who listens to headphones that loud anyway? our "so called audiophile-class" headphones may not have groundbreaking bass, but at least everything else about the headphone is relatively balanced.

you can barrage me with a whole bunch of numbers and scientific reasoning, but at the end of the day, all that really matters is what sounds good to me. honestly, i could care less about all the numbers and just rely on other people's feedback, and obviously my own ears.

Quote:

If you stuck the sub in your toilet with your head and sealed it, I'm pretty sure you'd need a hell of a lot less excursion, displacement or x-max to pop your eyeballs.

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back