Sony V-6 initial impressions
May 7, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by NavyASW02
What kinds of amps and other equipment could I get to make it sound better?

I don't really think you need an amp to make the sony sound better. They are very easily driven and I don't think spending the extra money on an amp would not be worth it. If you were going to spend the money on an amp, you might as well spend the money on another pair of phones for the types of the music the V6 is not suitable for.

May 8, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1

I don't really think you need an amp to make the sony sound better. They are very easily driven and I don't think spending the extra money on an amp would not be worth it. If you were going to spend the money on an amp, you might as well spend the money on another pair of phones for the types of the music the V6 is not suitable for.

pepsi1,
i seriously disagree with you. out of all my headphones the biggest improvement when i added and amp was with the v6. they don't need an amp, but my cha47 amp really improves the sound.

May 8, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 33
I just bought a pair of MDR-7506's (the wierd remarketed 'pro' twin of the V6) from jude, they haven't gotten here yet, but i'll soon be rejoining the ranks of the V6 owners. I bought them to replace my sennheiser HD497s. I like the 497 sound, but they are too open. The bus drowns out my music, and if i crank up the music, i get dirty looks. It doesn't work out
frown.gif
and i don't need a nice pair of open phones at home, because i have the hd590s to server that purpose)

Anyway, i've used V6s and 7506s before in mixing and monitoring positions, and as DJ headphones. When i was running a production sound company, i had a nice pair of 7506s that were my mix monitor headphones. Other than DJing a bit though, i had never really listened to music through them. I'm hoping to change that with this pair i've ordered. they will be my portable phones. I need something durable, foldable, closed, and with good sound. I think the 7506/v6 meets that perfectly.
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to much different 'flavors' of music when i'm at home or out and about. Out and about, i need something with a funky beat, something with a sick groove, something with some muthafukin BOUNCE to it. In that case, I like deep and strong bass extension. I'm not talking hyped up midbass that sounds like 'thuoof thuoof thuoof', i'm talking about accurate, but strong bass. I don't mind if there is a raised shelf in the low end frequency response, just so long as its even, and well controlled.

At home, i listen to more of a variety of music, and so i like my 590s, they have a good smoothish response. deep bass extension, but not bloated or overpowering. You can definately 'feel' the bass though!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, i'm excited about my new headphones. jude also put the beyer 250 pads on them already, which was going to be one of my mods anyway. Everything's just comin' up phidauex!

peace,
phidauex

May 8, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #21 of 33
Listening to my V6's with my JMT CMOY and through the headphone out of my pana 570 yields a difference in the quality of the bass. Bass with the CMOY is smoother and more controlled, mids are not honky, and treble is not shrill. The headphone out reveals all of the above flaws.

May 8, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #22 of 33
In case you were thinking of getting the Beyer pads, I would definitely recommend them. I suffered from the horrid "hot ear syndrome" often associated with the pleather pads on these cans (why is that?) and the Beyer pads were a godsend for allieviating that discomfort. All that's left to worry about is if you'll ever listen to a better cheap closed can...

May 8, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by NavyASW02
Before I bought these headphones, I saw a few postings that said the V-6's have too much bass. I disagree. I dont think these headphones have as much bass as my cheap ones, either that or they're just better balanced. Any thoughts?

The V6's I have, are really 7506s, but they will reproduce any lows. They are not bloated or boomy. If it is there, they will reproduce it, unlike even HD600's.

Like Patricia Barbers "Modern Cool" album/cd. With HD600's sounds just right, with 7506's, it's painful level of bass is dangerous!
eek.gif

NO, the HD600's are not the right "level of bass", my speaker systems, all of them, show Modern Cool as excessive bass, to me, anyway.

The 7506's are the best headphone for the money, period. In my opinion anyway. Others have their unique sound, but for the money, the V6's produce better overall sound than any other.

I have had Grados, so no Grado hype please!
tongue.gif

Each to his own.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by shaunscool
Please forgive the double post. Shame on me.

You'll be sad to know that i'm taking the double post, and the post i'm quoting away...
smily_headphones1.gif

I really must get a pair of Beyer pads, but I can't find any here in the UK... The UK Beyerdynamic website is being upgraded so I can't get phone numbers or anything... oh well, guess i'm just gonna have to be patient...

I ordered a pair of Beyer 'phones the other week, only to find out last week that the company I'd ordered them from had run out of stock and wasn't replenishing... nevermind...

May 9, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 33
I have 2 V-6's (1-stock & one moded with Beyer pads & a bit of damping behind the drivers). I tend to agree with fredpb that V-6's are among the best sound available for the price. Also- the metal headband makes for easy (and pretty safe) bending to adjust the tesion for comfort. I won't "hype" Grado's, but I also think the Grado SR80's deserve consideration in that "best sub $100 can" category. I own 80's as well as the V-6's, & I hate to say one sounds better because you have the old "open vs closed can" sound debate (& I'm NOT going to go there!!!). I will say that I enjoy both for different tunes & circumstances (e.g. my "better half" hates to hear me listening to my Grado's due to the sound leakage).

Jon

May 9, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter

pepsi1,
i seriously disagree with you. out of all my headphones the biggest improvement when i added and amp was with the v6. they don't need an amp, but my cha47 amp really improves the sound.

Bad redshifter, bad!! Why did you have to tell me that? I was hoping by getting the V6 and the MS1, maybe I could skip spending money on amps and prevent burning a hole in my wallet. :p

Seriously, do you really think the V6 will shine even more with the proper amp? Can you explain in detail about your experience? (if you don't mind)

Because I just recently found out how much I love my V6, so how can I make them sound even better?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #27 of 33
pepsione1

Sorry to tell you, but I agree that the V-6 sound is improved with an amp. I have a JMT Cmoy (twin 9V with Meier cross-feed) and the sound improvement is real. The V-6 with the JMT is a bit more open and tighter. I think the amp makes more difference with my Grados, but the V-6 benefits as well.

Jon

May 9, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #28 of 33
pepsi:

I own both the Alessandro MS-1 and the Sony V-6 cans (as well as Senn HD580, Philips HP-890, and Koss KSC-35).

I also own (and always use) a marvelous little CHA-47 amp that's powered by a 12V wall wart and has high-quality components (upgraded pot, capacitors, resistors).

Compared to the unamped output from the headphone jacks of my Mac Firewire Powerbook or JVC home CD deck and mini-system, the CHA-47 makes an incredible difference. Every one of my cans benefits immensely.

The Alessandro improves the most, however---stunningly so---and is now my hands-down favorite. The MS-1/CHA-47 combination is a wonderful match.

--Bill.

May 10, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #30 of 33
pepsione1-
using a cha47 penguin amp and the v6, the biggest improvment is in dynamics. next is how there is more tonal balance, and as others noted improved bass. drop jmt a line and tell him what kinds of cans you have, and he'll build you a custom budget amp
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back