Sony to Tighten Focus of R&D To Only Most-Promising Areas
Jun 25, 2005 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

myhui

New Head-Fier
Does this mean no more Sony headphones?

Maybe worse, no more Sony audio equipment period?

Quoting June 24, 2005 WSJ article:

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/...368003,00.html

Sony Corp. will narrow the focus of its research and development to only promising areas such as next-generation video equipment, mobile phones and flat-panel televisions, the company's new president said.

Offering a glimpse of where new management is looking to lead the Japanese electronics maker, Ryoji Chubachi also said Sony would continue restructuring its sprawling operations while cultivating new businesses to drive earnings growth.

"While we have not made this public, internally we have been looking at several areas within our R&D from which we could potentially withdraw," Mr. Chubachi told a news conference Thursday, flanked on his right by Howard Stringer, the newly appointed chairman and CEO.

"I can't give details right now on what those areas will be, but I will [in the future] make it clear exactly what we will and will not do," he added, referring to Sony's R&D spending, which is expected to total 520 billion yen ($4.8 billion) this business year.

Messrs. Stringer and Chubachi were overwhelmingly approved by shareholders Wednesday, succeeding Nobuyuki Idei and Kunitake Ando, respectively, who resigned from top management to take responsibility for the company's slumping earnings.

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 32
Maybe the Qualia line didnt pan out as they had hoped. I bet that's one of the first to go. I mean, seriously, what did they expect to make from a 5k$ camera?? What kind of market are we looking at??

I hope they continue their headphones though... I sort of liked the SA5000.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 32
One thing that's always struck me as strange about Sony - their mainstream products routinely suck, wheras their un-mass-marketed "niche" high-end stuff almost always rocks. CD3000, SA5000, Qualia, R10... if by focussing only on "promising areas" they mean ditching their exclusive stuff and putting their considerable muscle behind their mass-marketed stuff... i see Sony quickly going down the plughole
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 32
I hope this doesn't mean "no more RH10's"!

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Translation:

"We lost so much money in our Playstation segment particulary with our PSP launch and the upcoming PS3 launch, we are focusing most of our resources there. So no headphones for you!"

-Ed

And the peasants rejoice.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 32
And in breaking news, Bill Gates, billionare and Microsoft founder, was assasinated today. The alledged assassin, identified as a member of the internet community known as "Head-Fi", was heard mumbling, "They gave me the last pair of R10's." While the meaning of this comment has eluded our analysts, it is believed that the man thought Microsoft to be responsible for Sony's restructuring and the subsequent dismantling of their high-end audio division. We are attempting to contact Jude, the man behind Head-Fi, in order to more fully understand the motive behind this terrible incident.

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Translation:

"We lost so much money in our Playstation segment particulary with our PSP launch and the upcoming PS3 launch, we are focusing most of our resources there. So no headphones for you!"

-Ed

Since when has Sony been losing money on the PS2? They have made money hand over fist with that franchise and any downturn is simply due to anticipation of the PS3 and new XBox releases.

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
i see Sony quickly going down the plughole
tongue.gif

Dear me, please forgive, I was given the impression that said decendence had already occured.
eek.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Since when has Sony been losing money on the PS2? They have made money hand over fist with that franchise and any downturn is simply due to anticipation of the PS3 and new XBox releases.

I don't know about the entire Play Station system of economis, but I have been told that the consoles themselves are sold for a considerable loss [~$200] while the games are what is sold at a considerable profit. Does that explain any of it?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back