Sony to take on [again] iPod "by end of the year"
Feb 17, 2005 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Okay, I'm not sure what the HD1/3 were, but it looks like Sony is continuing to learn and will simplify their products [hopefully software] by the end of the year. Let's hope they're serious [Sony of old?] and not just "iPod Killer #142".

See lite story here.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 18
Expect the end of the year headline to read:

"Apple continues to dominate the Digital Audio Player market, Rio, Creative and Archos gain small ground, where Sony's Digital Audio market continues to post huge losses."

Ok, so that's a pretty beefy headline that no self respecting journalist would print, it also contains too many correct terms, so let's try again:

"Sony can't take bite out of Apples MP3 market".

Much better, it is short, contains factually incorrect information, and leaves out important details. Just like an industry analysis headline should be!

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 18
I think it's too early in the year to speculate
tongue.gif
I do think Sony will do better this year, but I doubt that they'll put a dent in Apple's sales with the momentum Apple has. But hey... there's also speculation about Sony's music store doing AAC (something about a Sony-Ericson handset that I read on the Register).

The HD1/HD3 to me were rushed attempts to get an HDD player / HDD mp3 player on the market. With reorganization going on at Sony as well as bringing in an outside firm to work on the software side of things, Sony has potential to be much better in the next year or 2 than it has been in the last few years. Time will tell
biggrin.gif

In any case, competition can only be a good thing for those in the market for a DAP...

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 18
apple should take any threat seriously. i hope they do not become another sony. sony had become complacent with it superior position in the electronics market and allowed other competitors to catch up. and the 'no one can beat apple' will only bring about apple's downfall.

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
apple should take any threat seriously. i hope they do not become another sony. sony had become complacent with it superior position in the electronics market and allowed other competitors to catch up. and the 'no one can beat apple' will only bring about apple's downfall.

i agree but it will be a few years before that happens if they continue to act like sony did. until then we'll see if they can learn from Sony's mistakes and keep up/catch up. So far they are pretty dominant in the regular ipod category but they are falling FAST
eek.gif
in the microHD department. I wish that ipods werent so generic and had more features. if they got more colors, removable battery, radio, longer battery life, and more codec support they would KILL. basically i want the circle navigation and itunes for iriver, creative, and rio
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 18
Sony seriously needs better software before they will even begin to make a dent in the DPA market. But hell, who cares, I am getting a PSP and that will never leave my side. God I cant wait...

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
So far they are pretty dominant in the regular ipod category but they are falling FAST
eek.gif
in the microHD department.

What do you mean? Week by week the Micro drops further and further down Amazon's best-selling electronics list while the Mini remains strong (no other microHD players are even on the charts though Amazon sells all of the major brands).

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
What do you mean? Week by week the Micro drops further and further down Amazon's best-selling electronics list while the Mini remains strong (no other microHD players are even on the charts though Amazon sells all of the major brands).

ya im talking about these forums. people in america dont even know what the hell a zen micro is, a good percent of the people at my school didnt even know that there was anything BUT and ipod. this is why i just cant stand the white buds, i dont mind people buying ipods, just be educated about it. If your going to spend 250 on a DAP you would think you would do some considerable research.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 18
I have noticed that while the large iPods seem to be a common head-fi'er choice for portable audio, very, very few head-fi'ers use the iPod Mini. I only know of myself and a few others.

Most head-fi'ers with microdrives seem to pick the Zen. *shrug* I dunno, I didn't like the looks of the Zen and had no use for FM radio and voice recording. All the radio stations here suck except one, and my modded Sony pocket radio picks that up well enough.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 18
the only thing is that if I am spending $200+ on an electronics item, I'd expect it to be at least 90% metal. just like a watch, I don't want to spend several hundred and have it be made out of plastic. the ipod is only half metal but the top is built so sturdy it does not feel like cheap plastic at all.

I can't wait to see what sony has in store with their new line of md recorders and HD players. but knowing them, their lower end models will feel extremely cheaply made unless you buy their $300+ models.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo

thats what i mean by being complacent. apple sees their players are still on the top of the charts and rests on its laurels and thinks they will keep on being dominant and keeps on producing different variants of ipods to sell to the un-informed consumers. sony is no small brand name either. if they do come up with a decent software thats as friendly as itunes, with some advertising, they could easily climb back again. sony did not bother to board the mp3 boat and they were lost in the sea. given sony's reputation in home electronics, it would not be that difficult for them to gain the back a share of the mp3 player market. in fact, i'd think sony would do better than creative if they tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back