Sony stops selling e888 earphones?
Nov 17, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Its better than mx500 and er6 ( I mean it) when i had 3 of them 6 years back. I remember enjoying them out of a go vibe from headsave. Too bad its pretty fragile.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 9
The problem was its wire that they expect you to wear on the neck... the sweat destroys it. I think I'm just going to go buy a pair on Ebay or something and see how it compares to my Yuin PK1. It may spark some good memories too
regular_smile%20.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Hentai, how do you know Sony has stopped selling these?  I bought them at a Sony store not too long ago.

Quote:
I think I'm just going to go buy a pair on Ebay or something and see how it compares to my Yuin PK1.

Be careful of fakes, I'd vouch it's better to buy them directly from from Japan with a forwarding service.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 9
Thx for the heads up. I will look into them. Any forwarding service you would recommend?

Quote:
I think I'm just going to go buy a pair on Ebay or something and see how it compares to my Yuin PK1.

Quote:  
Be careful of fakes, I'd vouch it's better to buy them directly from from Japan with a forwarding service.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 9
If it was me I'd use www.tenso.com as the forwarding service, and order from www.amazon.co.jp, I'd throw in the Sony E931 in my order as well.

Noteworthy is also the Audio Technica CM707 which will be released in two days(!) and is available for pre-order.

For the record I bought the E888 from a Sony store in asia on sale for roughly $45 USD so I think these prices are too high, but it's a stunning earphone and well worth it even if it cost $110 USD imho.

Modding does make a difference, however removing the plastic honeycomb piece will decrease the soundstage so there's a trade-off involved.
There are 5 components between the bio-cellulose driver and your ear, as follows:

DRIVER -|> 1.metal grille -> 2.acoustic ricepaper filter -> 3.plastic honeycomb soundstage filter -> 4.rubber ring -> 5.foam cover -|> EAR

The best mod (pure SQ) is 1,2,3.

Best soundstage is 1,2,3,4,5.

Most natural sound is 1. or 1,2.

Most practical is 1,2,3,4.

2 and 5 are not compatible with eachother, so if you don't like 3, use 1,4,5. or 1,5. which sound good.

Without 4, the E888 become fragile, so be careful outdoors, or seal everything in place with a different method like glue.

With only 1, do not let anything touch the driver, it breaks very easily, the sound quality with only 1 isn't teriffic anyway however with 1+ your own material like a thin layer of silk or polyester is noteworthy.

Yes, once upon a time I was excited and bored with this earphone.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Hentai, how do you know Sony has stopped selling these?  I bought them at a Sony store not too long ago.

Quote:

Well stores in Singapore don't seem to carry them anymore. Bluetin.com still sells them. I wonder if ex500 sounds good as well. But if it sounds anything like ex70/71 , i will give it a miss. Overdone sloppy bass, recessed mids and spiky treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back