Sony sound disparities...
Sep 20, 2002 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
I've been using my SCD-CE775 (along with my Rega Planet 2000) for redbook. I like the 555ES for the SACD playback...more "in your face" top end detail, warm seductive mids and a tighter... more succinct bottom. IMO, the CD side of the 555ES sucks...thin top, mids with no punch and an overly loose and muddy bottom). OTOH, the 775s CD playback is "everything" the 555s should be...a much more integrated sound with a focused bass, warm but sweet mids and a detailed "airy" top end.

Why do I have to use two different Sony machines to get what I like? I shouldn't have to play redbook on one and SACDs on the other...

Hmmm, oh well, just a mild rant...I'm just thinking out loud!

rant.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 12
RickG,
Have you considered having your 555ES mod-ed? Not only do the mods improve Redbook sound dramatically, they also affect SACD playback equally. Yes, you'd have to invest more into the 555ES (and void your warrantee), but you'll end up with one machine that can do it all.

Prior to having my 333ES mod-ed by Modwright, I also noted a lack of bass response. The mods (plus aftermarket power cord that I could now apply thanks to the added IEC receptacle) solved that problem!

Modwright no longer mods the 333ES or the 555ES, but an individual named Rick Shulz (or Schultz, I forget) is also highly regarded. You can find tons of info on him at Hi-Rez Highway at aa.

The Modwright mods were of the night and day variety. If you're curious about my impressions, there's a thread or two here somwhere. Cheers.

markl

Sep 20, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 12
Yo, Mark...

I have been and am still considering the "mod path", however, I'm also considering just going with something else...evan though I know it's gonna cost me a bundle...

(I'm talking strictly redbook...like a Linn, or something comparable)

Shucks, I don't know at this point. Thanks for the suggestion!

Like I said, I'm just "mulling it over"...

frown.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Unless you already have a big SACD collection, I would just sell both of your Sony players and get a one great redbook CD player.

Great idea, KR...

That's exactly what I'm thinking about. I do have about 60 SACDs...so I'm thinking of selling the 555ES and buying a great redbook player. I'll keep the 775 for SACDs 'cause it's more cost effective at this point.

Sep 21, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 12
Or, do the best of both worlds-- sell both players and get the XA777ES (a killer SACD machine) and get that puppy upgraded from Modwright! Oade Bros. must have it very heavily discounted by now.

Damn, 60 SACDs-- that's a lot in my book! That's a sizable investment, Rick.

markl

Sep 21, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 12
Mark,

I've thought about this for quite some time now, and I think the 777ES will be obsolete by the time I would get mine back from Modwright. Sony, Marantz, Classe, and other manufacturers will be introducing new players soon, and many will offer the same benefits of the modded players in stock units.

I'm just gonna' wait it out for a while. The market changes every six months, or so.

wink.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 12
I cannot yet say anything about the modded XA777ES except that reviews have been positive.

What I can talk about is the stock XA777ES, which I think is somewhat underrated--possibly because it had such a long breakin period. If you have an interest in good redbook and SACD in one machine, I think this is honestly still the one to get. You should be warned that this player does not sound similar to the 555ES in either redbook or SACD -- in my view, it sounds a lot better but I wouldn't assume that to mean you'd like it more. Audition if possible. I did extensively before deciding.

In Modwright's defense, my unit has taken a little longer than normal for two reasons: 1) Dan had a family emergency that I don't at all begrudge him for, 2) I had some special requests and some indecision about the amp-direct mod. His normal turnaround time is three weeks and I'm sure he'll be returning to that schedule soon.

Of course, if you just meant that Sony may have a newer better player out soon, that's entirely possible. I've not yet heard any rumblings.

Alternatively, if you need something to do double-duty because you're just finding yourself with too many sources, you could think about one of the good DVD/SACD players like the 9000ES.

Sep 21, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 12
A heavily discounted XA777ES with mods should definitely beat out the next version of Sony's (or Marantz's) hi-end SACDP. Total cost would likely be comparable with performance nod going handily to the mod-ed unit.

OK, I'll leave you alone now.
biggrin.gif

markl

Sep 21, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 12
Hi Rick,

How does the 775 compare to your Rega on redbook? I've heard some people preferring the Sony to the Rega on redbook. Hard to believe so perhaps you have an opinion?

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Hi Rick,

How does the 775 compare to your Rega on redbook? I've heard some people preferring the Sony to the Rega on redbook. Hard to believe so perhaps you have an opinion?

jopi-

While the 775 has some fine attributes, the main reason I want to use this unit is because of the "multi disc" capability. The Rega smokes both the 555 and 775 for redbook playback (IMO). While on the warm side, the Planet still has superb resolution and midrange-bass to die for. The problem I have is that the Planet 2000 seems to excel with my speaker system while the top end extension of the Sony 775 brings out the best with my Stax system. They both easily out perform the CD playback of the 555ES.

My “dream” digital source would play SACDs and redbook (multi-disc changer) with the utmost finesse on both the PSB speakers and the Stax Omega IIs. I'm gonna keep searching until I find something like that...even if it takes a while!

wink.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Rick
To me saying you want a CD change that sounds good is a bit like saying you want a sports car with an automatic transmission and a smooth ride. People say it all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think markl has the right idea here. If you do care about the sound but absolutely need a disc-changer, a modded unit is almost your only option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back