Sony SCD 333 owners-- need some quick help
Oct 20, 2001 at 7:08 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Ok, here's more whether anyone wants it or not-- I really can't contain myself. I have never heard my Redbook CDs sound so good. How to describe-- it's not "crispy" detail, just music, sweet music. Everything is there, I can't think of anything lacking. This is not digital. No way. Pure musical sound. Just love it.

markl

Glad you like it! I know exactly what you mean. I have two pieces of gear modded by Dan, and the before and after difference is highly significant. I've really enjoyed the improvement each time. Good value for audiophiles with merely mortal pocketbooks.

Also, take careful note of the sound as it is now. Because I want to know how the Bybees will improve it. The Bybee technology is really interesting and I have heard one system using them, which blew me away. But the technology behind them is rather mysterious and I want to know where they are most useful. I will really appreciate your future comments on this.

Kevin

Oct 20, 2001 at 2:04 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Ray, actually the bottom middle one (well, just to the right of bottom-mid) is a BNC connector. However, it's a male BNC;

Actually (to further confuse the issue
smily_headphones1.gif
), I think it's a female BNC jack. I think male BNCs feature an outer locking mechanism as well as a center plug.

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 33
Rpell, you're right -- I mixed it up. The "male" plug has the center wire (hence "male") but also has the outer ring (which makes it look female)
wink.gif

So my statement should have read:

Quote:

Ray, actually the bottom middle one (well, just to the right of bottom-mid) is a BNC connector. However, it's a female BNC; perhaps it looks a bit different because most people aren't used to seeing the female side of a BNC on a cable (male BNC is usually used on cables).

Oct 20, 2001 at 5:45 PM Post #20 of 33
Hi Guys, I was made aware of this thread and thought an explanation was in order.

First of all, to Mark I want to apologize, although I have already done so. I want you to understand that mistakes happen, and all I can do is make it right at my own expense.

There are two possibilities with the SACD playback not functioning, and those are that either I made a mistake or UPS handled it roughly.

I DID make the mistake of giving you the wrong mod, which actually will be to your benefit in the end as this adds significant value to the unit. The unit you received back IS your unit, I simply looked at the amount of your payment and assumed that you had ordered the Level II mods. I should have been more thorough in reviewing my records. This is unfortunate, but in the end you will actually have a more valuable unit than you intended.

I did listen to the unit before I shipped it as part of my QC process and it sounded great. It is possible that I made a mistake and did not verify SACD playback however and for this I will accept full responsibility as it is due.

I work very hard at what I do and I take it very seriously. I am VERY busy right now as the recent review in Stereophile has increased the volume of work a great deal. I have been working 7-days a week, long hours to get it all done.

The satisfaction of my customers is my number one priority, and for this one unfortunate incident, I can quote you over 100 ecstatic e-mails that I have received about my work.

I have a clear conscience about what I do and when I screw up, I am willing to admit it. I screwed up this time and I am sorry that it has caused Mark the inconvenience that it has.

I AM pleased to hear how happy Mark is about the Redbook performance of the player. The modified unit is tremendously better than the stock unit.

Incidentally, by means of apology for my mistake, I am not only paying the extra shipping required, but am installing the Bybee filters as a gift. If the clock works out, then I will install it also. If not, I will refund the amount for the clock upgrade.

I have had trouble with one particular unit and the clock upgrade and am still investigating if it is due to the clock, a bad batch of product or simply incompatitibility with this customer's particular player. I have installed them in the past with great results.

So, to sum up, I am a human being just like everyone else
eek.gif
and I do make mistakes. I also stand behind my work and my reputation 100% and will guarantee your satisfaction in the end.

I hope that you are enjoying the music this weekend Mark, and I will turn the unit around ASAP upon receipt. I will also expedite return shipping.

Thanks and take care,

Dan W.

Oct 20, 2001 at 6:47 PM Post #23 of 33
Classy as usual, Dan.

So markl, I remember you saying there were certain areas (like bass?) that you thought could be improved. Has the mod taken care of those areas?

Oct 20, 2001 at 10:31 PM Post #24 of 33
I would like to publically thank Dan for going the extra mile. I was pretty peeved when I spoke to him on the phone, and I'd like to apologize for any rudeness.

As a music-lover, being without your tunes for 3 weeks was tough, and finally getting the unit back and then being unable to fully enjoy it and then facing the prospect of having to send it back just got to me.

In no way did I post here to try to disparage Dan, but I know there are a lot of folks here waiting to hear my results. As you can see, I'm absolutely thrilled with the sound of the Level 1 upgrades. I know that Dan is very established and well-respected in this space (heck, that's why I chose him) and there are countless satisfied customers out there.

The actions Dan is taking is more than enough to satisfy me.

markl

Oct 20, 2001 at 10:35 PM Post #25 of 33
Thanks Mark, I understand your disappointment and believe me, I was more disappointed than you to hear that you were having troubles.

I appreciate your business.

Take care,

Dan W.

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:27 AM Post #26 of 33
Dan, welcome to the forum. It's great to see vendors here, especially ones who seem to be so interested in the happiness of their customers.

Considering that the 333ES is a very popular CDP here on Head-Fi, I'm sure you're going to get a number of mod requests from here -- I know that mine will be there as soon as I can spend the $$$
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 33
Right on
wink.gif
. I would certainly welcome your business.

The fact that the unit has a headphone jack IS very cool.

Since there are so many people using headphones here, I will look into an optional "headphone" upgrade for the unit that would simply involve upgrading the headphone op-amp and perhaps tweaking it a bit for better sound.

I might do this with Marks unit and see how he likes it.

The option will be reasonably price if I decide to add it and it WILL certainly benefit things.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Since there are so many people using headphones here, I will look into an optional "headphone" upgrade for the unit that would simply involve upgrading the headphone op-amp and perhaps tweaking it a bit for better sound.

On the one hand, many of the people here with high-end headphones have external, dedicated headphone amps and probably wouldn't be interested in a "souped-up" headphone jack. BUT... on the other hand, if someone wanted to spend their money on modding their 333 to get better playback instead of on an external headphone amp, the headphone jack mod might be a veru good option for them, especially if it wasn't too expensive.

The keys to modding the headphone jack would be upgrading the opamp and increasing the power output so that it could adequately power inefficient headphones like the Senn HD600 and Ety ER4S (this would also probably involve reducing the gain on the volume control so that more efficient 'phones aren't blown away
wink.gif
). That would be a great mod, but how much might it cost?

Again, welcome to Head-Fi
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 8:18 PM Post #29 of 33
If it's just a single opamp, how about throwing in another in parallel to it, or even a little board with a good buffer on it? It is true that most people with a 333 probably have a dedicated headphone amp.

Oct 21, 2001 at 9:51 PM Post #30 of 33
Why not the entire headphone system be replaced with something like a CHA47 amp? New pot, a little switch, a dedicated headphone amp within the player...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back