Sony SCD 333 owners-- need some quick help
Oct 19, 2001 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Just got my unit back from Modwright and I notice that the digital out looks rather beefy and unlike a standard RCA jack. I want to make sure that I got the right unit unit back that has the correct mods as I did not order the upgrades to the digital out. Can you check the back of your unit and tell me if your digital out looks unusual on your un-mode-ed unit? Thanks.

And yes, I've already e-mailed Dan, but want a quick answer.

Impressions to follow late tomorow!

Mark

Oct 20, 2001 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 33
Uh-oh. Sorry, Jude, I don't know what a BNC jack is. So your digital out looks EXACTLY the same as the two analog RCA jacks, or is it more beefy-looking?

markl

Oct 20, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Uh-oh. Sorry, Jude, I don't know what a BNC jack is. So your digital out looks EXACTLY the same as the two analog RCA jacks, or is it more beefy-looking?

markl

No, just a normal RCA jack. Would an RCA male fit onto it?

Does it look like the one on the bottom of this picture (at around the 5:30 position)?

cableassemblies.jpeg

Oct 20, 2001 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 33
Yes, a normal RCA male jack would fit in it, but it portudes farther than the two analog RCA outs. It's gold and has a thicker segment, then a thinner one.

Oct 20, 2001 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Yes, a normal RCA male jack would fit in it, but it portudes farther than the two analog RCA outs. It's gold and has a thicker segment, then a thinner one.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. Definitely not stock (unless they've since changed the digital out since mine was made). Maybe it's some sort of impedance altering device?

Oct 20, 2001 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 33
Here's what Modwright's site says about the replacement digital out:

"Upgrade stock digital out RCA to Cardas GRFA Rhodium plated RCA"

Maybe I got someone else's machine?

markl

Oct 20, 2001 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 33
I had Dan modify my Pioneer DVD and it has the same kind of output jack, with the different diameters. That is definitely his handiwork!

Looks like you either got someone else's machine, or some extra work. Poor Dan... I know he is really stressed out with too much work. I know he'll make it right though.

Kevin

Oct 20, 2001 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 33
Just got off the phone with Dan. It turns out he "accidently" did the digital out upgrade instead of the DVC-1 clock upgrade I ordered.

What's more, I have discovered that SACDs will no longer play on the unit at all! Dan has asked me to ship the unit back to him for repair. He does not know why SACDs will not play on the unit. He also says that he has noticed some "low-level noise" with the DVC-1 clock on one unit he mod-ed, and is uncertain about that mod! I have therefore told him not to upgrade the clock on my unit but to do 2 Bybee filters instead at roughly the same cost.

What can I say. I'm upset and very concerned.

markl

Oct 20, 2001 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 33
I'm glad you got on the phone with Dan, and sorry to hear that the unit doesn't work. I wonder if UPS gave it some rough treatment. Dan is an outstanding individual and will definitely set you right. And I think the Bybees are a better tweak anyway. The bybees are awesome - the difference they make is astounding - you should probably have him do more than just two...
smily_headphones1.gif
. Check out this thread on harmonic discord for some more info on bybee filters: http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...443&forum=4&14

Oct 20, 2001 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 33
So, despite everything---

I'm currently sitting here listening to the sweet sounds of the Level 1 mods without any break-in and I I can't contain myself.

Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me rephrase-- Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 333 has something magical, but the mods really do "take it to the next level". It's very hard to put my finger on what this unit does right, except to say that it is so MUSICAL. The mods really improve on the musicality. This player is definitely doing something that I haven't heard before. It will take a lot more listening to figure out what that is. Nevertheless, it sure will be fun figuring it out.

I doubt my experience with Dan is typical and I'm sure that he has a lot going on right now. I'm not sure I can whole-heartedly recommend his services given my experience, but damn, the Level 1 mods alone are really something else. I'll post further findings on Redbook Level 1 performance if there's interest, but a full report will have to await receiving the unit back from Dan after Bybee filter upgrades and SACD restoration.

markl

Oct 20, 2001 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 33
Ok, here's more whether anyone wants it or not-- I really can't contain myself. I have never heard my Redbook CDs sound so good. How to describe-- it's not "crispy" detail, just music, sweet music. Everything is there, I can't think of anything lacking. This is not digital. No way. Pure musical sound. Just love it.

markl

Oct 20, 2001 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

None of those in that picture are BNC connectors.

Ray, actually the bottom middle one (well, just to the right of bottom-mid) is a BNC connector. However, it's a male BNC; perhaps it looks a bit different because most people aren't used to seeing the male side of a BNC on a cable (female BNC is usually used on cables).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back