Sony SA5000 vs Sony CD3K
May 23, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #31 of 43
A used pair of CD3k's are bound to come up in the for sale forums at some point. It may take some patience, but the CD3k's are not as rare as phones like the R10's.

May 24, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #32 of 43
Hm... I did not realize that the CD3000 had been discontinued.. that certainly would make it harder (impossible?) to get a pair that's new.
I haven't bought used phones yet, but I'm not opposed to the idea. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up.

May 24, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sethk
To get back to SA5000 vs. the CD3000, this thread is making it very difficult for me to choose one over the other. I may have to try both and sell the loser.

My first high-end headphone was a set of Sony CD3000's purchased from another Head-Fier. I thought they were outstanding in every regard except fit (more later). However, like you, I had no basis for comparison so how would I know if I really had found my ideal set? My next purchase was Grado RS-1's and, in A/B comparisons, I preferred the Sony's by a pretty wide margin. I sold the RS-1's and then decided, based on all the hype, I had to try the Sony SA5000. I found the SA5K's to be thin/shallow in terms of musical depth and, most importantly, there was a raised timbre across the entire sonic spectrum which, to my ears, made instruments/vocals sound harsh and shrill. I have written about this in other threads (which you can search if interested), so I'll leave it at that. I kept them a week and traded them for a set of Senn HD650's which I find to be almost sonically equivalent to the CD3K's.

IMO, the CD3K's are not bright compared to the HD650's which many people label as "dark/veiled." I think that the CD3K's have, so far, the best bass and treble extension of any headphones I have tested, the widest and most compelling soundstage, and are engaging/enveloping. They also leak the least amount. I did a test with my wife listening to the SA5K, then the CD3K at the same volume. I stood about 10 feet away and the leakage from the SA5K was considerably louder. The CD3K's are not CLOSED, but they do provide better insulation than most cans.

The only weakness that I ever cited about the CD3K's is the headband. I was never enamored with the fit -- too loosey/goosey. So, I crafted a mod which has made this issue disappear and, if interested, you can do a search to learn about it.

I offer these comments as just another viewpoint which will probably make matters worse for you. I don't imagine that you will ever be satisfied until you have tried both headphones. The bad news is that there are no more CD3K's NEW -- only USED. You can try putting a WTB ad on Head-Fi and maybe someone will find you. The good news is that SA5K's are plentiful right now as the experimentation cycle is still in full swing -- several for sale even as I type this note.

Good luck,

Ken

May 24, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yada
Sony has quit making CD3Ks; so it is likely going to be a major search mission to find a new pair of CD3Ks; you will find it much easier to locate a new pair of SA5000s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethk
Hm... I did not realize that the CD3000 had been discontinued.. that certainly would make it harder (impossible?) to get a pair that's new.
I haven't bought used phones yet, but I'm not opposed to the idea. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up.

Sad but true.....Yeak, I need to keep on pampering mine then.....But honestly IMO that is one of the biggest mistakes Sony have made over time, to discontinue the R-10 and later on the CD3000, is simply silly, as unfortunatelly non of the new headphones they have brought to the table recently, offer anything new in comparison to both of the old fellows in their respective price ranges, they do not offer better details, not a better extension, both are brighter, than their old borthers, and IMO they are not better on the overall presentation, and they are indeed a lot less musical and more analytic, and at the end, a lot less enjoyable headphones, of course this is just my opinion based inm yexperience with both at the same time side by side, but of course, I know that opinions may differ from one side to the opposite as usual....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

So my advice, do not make my same mistake, of purchasing without listening, try to listen the headphones frist in any meeting....

But me, as many others, will still prefer the old Sony school, definitelly...
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

May 24, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #36 of 43
I am not surprised but still amazed by the gradients in opinions when it comes to the CD3K and SA5K. In my opinion the SA5K comprehensively trashes the CD3K in every aspect...a no contest...and it is a bit of a side-step from the HD-650. Maybe a side step with a slight step up in speed and detail.

The new Sony line is the only Sony line I would consider owning...right from the SA1000/SA3000/SA5000 (of which I own the SA1K and SA5K and will be getting the SA3K later this year) up to the Qualia 010.

I do not state my opinion as a fact...an opinion is not a fact...your personal experience may be different.

May 24, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #37 of 43
I like the CD3k a lot - I just spent the last week or so really listening to them again, and got to hear them again against the R10 on Sunday. Having said that, I strongly prefer the SA5k as well. I do think they are the better headphone in terms of quality, though I suppose I can see how some might prefer the sonic signature of the CD3k.

I think opinions do differ, and the CD3k are certainly a great headphone, so I guess you just need to listen for yourself.

Man where is lan?? We need to get GS the SA3k so he can finish that damn review. Honestly, I have a feeling the SA3k will be the ignored "middle child" though.

Best,

-Jason

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I am not surprised but still amazed by the gradients in opinions when it comes to the CD3K and SA5K. In my opinion the SA5K comprehensively trashes the CD3K in every aspect...a no contest...and it is a bit of a side-step from the HD-650. Maybe a side step with a slight step up in speed and detail.

The new Sony line is the only Sony line I would consider owning...right from the SA1000/SA3000/SA5000 (of which I own the SA1K and SA5K and will be getting the SA3K later this year) up to the Qualia 010.

I do not state my opinion as a fact...an opinion is not a fact...your personal experience may be different.

May 24, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Man where is lan?? We need to get GS the SA3k so he can finish that damn review. Honestly, I have a feeling the SA3k will be the ignored "middle child" though

Where is the SA3K man? I ended up buying the SA1000 to compliment the SA5000.

SR-60/SA1K with my computer rig and stax SR404/SA5K with the dedicated rig...

May 24, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #39 of 43
lan's had it for a while now - no idea where he is. I wonder if Romanee knows what's up.

When's the Florida meet? June 4?

Lemmie send a PM to them.

Best,

-J

May 24, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
When's the Florida meet? June 4?

Yes. June 4th. We will have Qualia, SA5K x 2, R10 x 3, SA1K x 1, CD3000 x 2

should be interesting...now if we can round it off with a SA3K
wink.gif

gs

May 24, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #41 of 43
I personally was very dissapointed in the SA-5000s, they were downright painful even after many hours of burn in. Thankfully I didnt already sell my trusty CD-3000's, The were way better imo across the board. I used it with my emu-1212m and the latest iteration of a larocco pocket reference.

May 24, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #43 of 43
i didn't think the SA5000's sounded that different from my CD3000's (the SA5k's seemed to have a slightly veiled treble and narrower sound stage in my fairly brief audition), but i found the SA5k's to be fairly uncomfortable on my admittedly large noggin. my CD3000's fit well and don't move around, probably because of the aforementioned big head
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back