Sony SA5000 vs Sony CD3K
Apr 10, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #16 of 43
The midrange of the CD3K and SA5000 are different, but I certainly wouldn't say that the SA5000's midrange is any warmer, so, Zoide, I imagine you'd have similar feelings about the SA5K basd on your comments about the CD3K.

Regarding the soundstange, the CD3K certainly does a better job of presenting hte music as if it was coming from outside your head, in front of you. No quesitons for me there. The soundstange is also very wide, meaning instruments from right to left are placed out greatly. In my opinion, it can sound a bit exaggerated. Still, I think this is one of the virtues of the CD3K

The SA5000, on the other hand, has a depth of the soundstage that the CD3K lacks. I can tell better how far from me various instruments are.

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Regarding the soundstange, the CD3K certainly does a better job of presenting hte music as if it was coming from outside your head, in front of you. No quesitons for me there. The soundstange is also very wide, meaning instruments from right to left are placed out greatly. In my opinion, it can sound a bit exaggerated. Still, I think this is one of the virtues of the CD3K

I will give you a tip, and honestly if you have the chance just try it, and you will thank yourself. Try to audition the Corda Cross-1 (I use just the first position) you will hear a completelly natural and lifelike breath-taking sounstage, I wish you live around here to set up an audition in your system...after you get used to it, there is no system you can conform that does not inlcude this magical box...it is a relativelly inexpensive device, that will cost you less than a good pair of IC or an aftermarket cable, and definitelly will give you more joy and wil improve the systme a lot more than any of those....I got mine for around 100 used, and replace all the wiring with silver wire, it is a magical box....
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
What about the midrange? Did you feel the SA5000 to be like the CD3K in that sense? When I had the CD3K, I usually got this feeling that they were somewhat thin and cold, and where just lacking something "in the middle" (midrange, I guess!). I was only mostly satisfied in this respect by using the bass boost of the PPA.

Quote:

The midrange of the CD3K and SA5000 are different, but I certainly wouldn't say that the SA5000's midrange is any warmer, so, Zoide, I imagine you'd have similar feelings about the SA5K basd on your comments about the CD3K.

Uhm, this reinforces my suspect that I wouldn't like the SA5000 too much...
Lucky me, as surely I couldn't afford it.
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #19 of 43
I've listen the CD3k with a Corda Prehead, so I'm well aware of the virtues of Meier's crossfeed. However, I would like to get a Cross someday for use with my other amp(s).

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

I've listen the CD3k with a Corda Prehead, so I'm well aware of the virtues of Meier's crossfeed. However, I would like to get a Cross someday for use with my other amp(s).

Exactly, and when you have an integrated crossfeed this is very nice feature, but only if you are just using this amp, but if you need to try differnet amps, or want ot enjoy this feature on the rest of the amps available, the Cross-1 is very useful, also the matching feature for the impedance is very useful....

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #21 of 43
I'm also considering the Sony CD3K to upgrade from my dt880 (although now that they are discontinued they might be harder to come by?) Doesn't a closed headphone color the sound somewhat or is this only the "bad" ones that do this? I'm hoping I can upgrade my Beyers while trying to keep their particular sound. I also need comfortable cans as this is VERY important to me and thought the CD3K might work out rather well. More so than the sa5000?

If they are a bit bright my amp should be able to take care of it...

Apr 10, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
I'm also considering the Sony CD3K to upgrade from my dt880 (although now that they are discontinued they might be harder to come by?) Doesn't a closed headphone color the sound somewhat or is this only the "bad" ones that do this? I'm hoping I can upgrade my Beyers while trying to keep their particular sound. I also need comfortable cans as this is VERY important to me and thought the CD3K might work out rather well. More so than the sa5000?

If they are a bit bright my amp should be able to take care of it...

THe CD3000 is as closed as the SA5000, both leak....

Apr 10, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
I'm also considering the Sony CD3K to upgrade from my dt880

If anything the CD3000 are at best a side step, and at worst a downgrade from the DT880.

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #24 of 43
Also, the comfort of the CD3K can be a double edged sword.

On the one hand, it rests like a weightless pillow on your head and ears. The pads are very cushioned (at first it feels better to have the headphones on than to not have anything on!) and you feel no pressure from any direction.

On the other hand, that same weightless feeling makes it hard to move your head around because they tend to shift or even fall off if you tilt your head too much. Also, the very comfy pads can become a problem on hot days, since they totally cover your ears and can become very hot and even sweaty if you keep them on for a long time.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #25 of 43
I found the SA5K to offer slightly more details than the stock CD3K. The SA5K is a much faster headphone incomparison the the stock CD3K. It offer good sense of details and give each instrument its own space. Bass is tight and controlled; however, I feel that the bass on the Stock CD3K more enjoyable. Both cans (stock CD3K and SA5K) have good midrange quality, and to my ears, both suffer slight midrange recession. The CD3K also sound brighter and more laid back than an all-in-face presentation of SA5K. CD3K remains the champ on the width of soundstage, but I feel that the SA5K has better depth. To my ears, I found the SA5K to be very analytical than a more musical CD3K.

Apr 11, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
To my ears, I found the SA5K to be very analytical than a more musical CD3K.

Hmm... just what I needed to cast any SA5000 temptations aside!
eek.gif
I had already found the CD3K to be on the analytical side of the scale...

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Hmm... just what I needed to cast any SA5000 temptations aside!
eek.gif
I had already found the CD3K to be on the analytical side of the scale...

LOL it's only analytical if you need coloration to make up for the boring nature of one's upstream electronics
wink.gif
If the SA5K sounds analytical, then your gear just isn't transparent enough, or perhaps you're listening to the wrong source material
biggrin.gif
And yes Zoide, at least for now, I am your satan
tongue.gif

May 22, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #28 of 43
the sa5000 is very analytical. it can be almost too revealing for many recordings.

May 23, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
the sa5000 is very analytical. it can be almost too revealing for many recordings.

I've learnt that analytical is a bad word in hi-end audio. People call gear analytical to mean gear that makes music difficult to listen to. When I first got into the high-end audio hobby (not headphones) I mis-read some reviews that used the word analytical, until I realized they were using it to illustrate the negative aspects of the gear being reviewed, like 'bright' or 'dry', which are almost always used in a negative sense. Some would argue that headphones in general are analytical, but I don't think that that's generally true in a negative sense.

To get back to SA5000 vs. the CD3000, this thread is making it very difficult for me to choose one over the other. I may have to try both and sell the loser.

May 23, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #30 of 43
Sony has quit making CD3Ks; so it is likely going to be a major search mission to find a new pair of CD3Ks; you will find it much easier to locate a new pair of SA5000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back