Sony SA5000 response plots
Apr 24, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #91 of 207
I totally see Sovkillers point in regards to only needing one headphone. The problem with this scenerio is that you would have to find a headphone that did every frequency perfectly. If your headphone had a slightly recessed midrange for example, then there is probably another headphone out there that does it closer to what you consider perfect. For songs where the mid-range frequences are more predominant in the song, the other headphone would sound better. This is the reason why people have multiple headphones. Most people can't find the perfect headphone that does all the frequences perfect. For these people, multiple headphones with different sound signatures is the answer.

Apr 24, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #92 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Why not? It is less about the phone and more about *synergy*....

the phone+amp+source+whatever else, you will find a great system that could probably be improved, but needs no changing. if that makes sense. i'm sure Sovkiller can improve his system. He probably will. But for right now, he doesn't care, because he knows it can get better but it's good enough now

this is why you only need one headphone.. when you find the right system match, you don't care about anything else, because it just balances out and everything sounds right.

This is RUBBISH! How can every different recording in existence, mixed by different engineers in different studios with different ears and different preferences, recorded on different budgets by different musicians with different ears and different amps/intruments, recorded on different mics, mixed on different monitors, played in different styles, mastered in different ways for different effects on different equipment all sound good on one headphone. With one eq built in to the headphone and one set of ears to judge sound quality, yours. You are either narrow minded, listen only to audiphile recordings, or just want to hear flaws not music in average recordings. I'm with James Bean on this one.

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #93 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
This is RUBBISH! How can every different recording in existence, mixed by different engineers in different studios with different ears and different preferences, recorded on different budgets by different musicians with different ears and different amps/intruments, recorded on different mics, mixed on different monitors, played in different styles, mastered in different ways for different effects on different equipment all sound good on one headphone.

This is why it would be sort of nice if EQ'ing caught on with audiophiles... there's stuff out there now probably 1000 times better than the equalizers available in the '70's and '80's. But it would kill half the fun of the hobby
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #94 of 207
edit

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #95 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
Wow, this thread really went down the toilet. Not surprising.

Nearly always happens toward the end of a thread, when the main points are all talked out. Whether it goes out with a bang or a whimper is really all the same
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #96 of 207
I'm sorry this thread took a downward spiral. I was part of it at the beginning and I tried to help curb the problem in my own way.... This thread isn't exausted, really we're just waiting on time so gerg can post more results, which would be helpful to a lot of people. I hope gerg edits the original post to update his data, 'cause I wouldn't want other people to have to get through this muck.

What I don't get, is that most people here have accepted that people have different listening habits that lead to enjoyment of different headphones based on what their ears and minds. Why is it any different when we talk about multiple headphones?! People enjoy different things. I personally like more than one thing - I wasn't totally joking about the being hooked on variety thing, not just with headphones, I like switching things around, mixing it up, enjoying a different perspective, seeing things from a different angle. I find life boring otherwise.

There are a lot of people out there who are like me, and a lot of people who aren't. All this thread has done is show who's who, and show that individuals tend to have a very limited comprehension of the fact that not all humans are alike in their needs. Give it a rest folks, this isn't a life or death situation and no one is causing any harm to anyone else by their listening habits. That means, for all intents and purposes, that we are all right.

I apologize that I helped spark this debate to begin with. Let's go back to what's important.
5000smile.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #97 of 207
seems like much ado about nothing. cheesh. since moving to the Light Side, i'll swap out one 5751 for another for a Song. i expect that this is normal tuber behaviour. swapping phones for the same reason is No Big Deal.

now, can we have Mencken back??
icon10.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #98 of 207
devwild, capital idea. I will post updates in the original post, starting now! (thunderstorm kept me awake last night, so I took a few more measurements).

fewtch, your test tone description sounds like a prescription for trance music to me. That is what the sonys will be subjected to all day today.

gerG

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #99 of 207
gerg - what you need to do is create moulds of your inner and outer eag, make a model like this...use it to make measurements with mics at the ends of the stalks. This will give us the frequency response as you hear it
smily_headphones1.gif
besides - you can use it as an awesome binaural microphone
smily_headphones1.gif

8234binauralmic-med.GIF

gs

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #100 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
8234binauralmic-med.GIF

lol, that was funny, compliments for your creativity guru.
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #101 of 207
Hmm. This is interesting.

I was under the impression that the 880's high treble peak was around 8k, not 5k. I'm pretty sure that's what HeadRoom has. Hmmmmm. Any takers?

Apr 24, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #102 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkangpae
I was under the impression that the 880's high treble peak was around 8k, not 5k. I'm pretty sure that's what HeadRoom has.

Yes, more exactly around 9KHz. Each vertical line to the right of 2000Hz in Headroom's graph is a jump of 2000, so the 880's peak is right between the 8KHz and 10KHz lines:
graphCompare.php

Apr 24, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #103 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkangpae
Hmm. This is interesting.

I was under the impression that the 880's high treble peak was around 8k, not 5k. I'm pretty sure that's what HeadRoom has. Hmmmmm. Any takers?

Not on my head
tongue.gif

Curiously the DT931 have a peak at the same location, but it is narrower. I suspect that the reflective nature of the cup plays a role, but I haven't confirmed it. The peak is easy to take out with a parametric eq.

gerG

Apr 24, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #104 of 207
I think this expresses the virtues of the HD-650 more than anything else. I always thought its midrange beauty was because of its consistency in and around the critical midrange frequencies. Although it does have a mild treble roll-off I still think the response is uber!

Apr 24, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #105 of 207
Uhm, whatever the peak's frequency (Stereoplay's graphs for the DT880, btw, are rather consistent with gerG's measurements - or the other way round
smily_headphones1.gif
), I feel "uncomfortable" about such peaks, and I'm little willing to forgive of them, for fear of some consequence on my hearing in the long term. Just paranoia??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back