Apr 24, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #61 of 207
Quote:

I think the CD3000 "smells" more musical too

biggrin.gif
I agree with this also.
biggrin.gif

GerG,

Quote:

Sound wise the SA5000 bring back memories of the AT A1000, but I don't trust my memory all that much.

I don't think the SA5K sound anything like the A1000. The SA5K is much bettet in midrange presentation (slightly recessed mid), while the A1000 offers thick and nasal midrange. The bass on the A1000 has more volume but I believe the quality of bass belong to the SA5K. The SA5K is definitely have better details and treble extension. All that being said, I prefer my HD-650 w/ Zu and modified CD3K more than the SA5K due to their musical enjoyment, midrange, bass, and better layered music.

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #62 of 207
If I might break into the philosophy discussion...

No response plots tonight. I left the cans cooking with 90db of pink noise all day. Now they are cooking with "Miami Jam", con Arturo Sandoval, Tito Puente, Mongo Santamaria, well, you get the idea. Both feet are tapping, so I can barely type.

One improvement (imho): I was too impatient to wait for burn-in, so I kicked up the (pathetic) itunes eq by 4 db at 32 hz. What an amazing difference. I haven't resorted to an outboard processor yet, since the 902 is plugged straight into the tibook.

So far the SA5000 are growing on me. Anything that can get both feet drumming are worth a listen.

After I finish my listen I will transition to sine waves for exercise. Much more effective for headphone yoga.

gerG

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #63 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
sovkiller>Your argument is flawed. I know wmcmanus hates selling stuff as probably hirsch and bozebuttons (sorry for using you guys as references).

I like those guys, and I'm will not lead a crusade now against that behavior (you could add also on that same boat, joelongwood....LOL...of the ones I remember now from the top of my head)......

But what I'm trying to say is that this feeling of not wanting to get rid of their respective gear, and want to keep them, and can afford it, does not prove, nor justify, the need of them, at least not ot me. This is just the way they feel and period...

The same way I know single guys, that have more than one car, and they can use just one at the time...that does not prove the need of having more than one neither...

Well to end this argument, if you feel you can do it, and feel that this is the way to go, and feel satisfied and do not need to sell them, I'm very happy for you guys. But my opinion will be the same, even if I could afford them, I just keep the one that satisfy me more, and period...No need of more than one setup.

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #64 of 207
So it is wrong to have mutiple headphones and different setups? Have you ever thought that some people prefer one headphone over another based on the type of music being played? Some of us here have a broad taste in music. Just because we like to use a variety headphones for different applications and different types of music does not make it wrong. If you like your CD3000 for everything then thats fine. There is nothing wrong with that either. Try to look at both sides of the fence here.

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #65 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
kcits, of course! Lighter line is the HD600:

thanks a lot gerg
smily_headphones1.gif
the differences between the two there do seem to match up with the differences in headroom's graphs.

hm... while i know you're still at an early stage of impressions with the sa5k, would you be able to say whether the sa5k sounds more "closed in" or otherwise more "open" than the hd650?

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #68 of 207
Hi gerG,

Nice work on plotting the CD3k, SA5000, and 650. I believe they are three of the most popoular headphones.

I have had a fairly extensive experience with TrueRTA. It is a very useful spectrum analyzer. A few questions regarding your use of TrueRTA, please/thanks.

1. Did you use the 1/24th octave feature, or some other setting?
2. Did you use the Quick Sweep feature, or some other setting?
3. With a two channel stereo system using loudspeakers (as opposed to headphones) it is customary to plug a (Behringer?) calibrated microphone into a (Behringer) mic mixer into a (Creative Labs) sound card in a PC to access the TrueRTA software program. Is this the process you used to capture the signal from the headphones? How did you set up the microphone relative to the headphones? Or did you use some other method?
4. What equalizer devices did you use to create the flat EQ responses you showed?

Setting aside the methodologies for analyzing the signals, after you EQ'd the settings for a flat response with each headphone, what differences did you hear from the 3 headphones? Did they sound similar in terms of tonal response after EQing? Did the differences then appear in the realms of definition, air, and sound stage (depth, width, height) imaging? What differences did you notice after EQing?

Before EQing the 3 headphones, which did you prefer?
After EQing the 3 headphones, which did you prefer?

Thanks very much for sharing your insight.

Best regards, Yada

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #69 of 207
Peace Sorry guys. End of the nonsense argument....

Apr 24, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #71 of 207
FWIW, I have a very broad taste in music, and I think having only one setup makes total sense. You find a perfect setup and you are done. There is no "different tastes for different days".. bullocks! You find the setup that makes the music sound like what it truly "should" sound like (to you), and you are done.

It's not that complicated, folks. Stop bashing Sovkiller.

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #72 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
FWIW, I have a very broad taste in music, and I think having only one setup makes total sense. You find a perfect setup and you are done. There is no "different tastes for different days".. bullocks! You find the setup that makes the music sound like what it truly "should" sound like (to you), and you are done.

It's not that complicated, folks. Stop bashing Sovkiller.

I wasn't bashing him. I was simply stating that me along with other people here prefer having a couple different flavors in headphones. I have not found a headphone that sounds perfect to me for everything. I doubt I ever will.

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #73 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller

For the ones looking for flat responses on headphones, remember that this is not the way to go, don't forget the biophonic curves:

biphonic.gif

Those are based on human measuments, and on real studies, IIRC is the result of the freq resonances of the human hearing canal or cavity, and you will hear, with a flat curve, some peaks that you have to consider.....

Please cite the speicific purpose of the biophonic curve and the associated studies/research(headwize's reference link is a dead end). Or is this a highly speculative curve intended for a specific purpose? Why don't headphones follow this curve as a rule if it's valid?

-Chris

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #74 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I wasn't bashing him. I was simply stating that me along with other people here prefer having a couple different flavors in headphones. I have not found a headphone that sounds perfect to me for everything. I doubt I ever will.

Why not? It is less about the phone and more about *synergy*....

the phone+amp+source+whatever else, you will find a great system that could probably be improved, but needs no changing. if that makes sense. i'm sure Sovkiller can improve his system. He probably will. But for right now, he doesn't care, because he knows it can get better but it's good enough now

this is why you only need one headphone.. when you find the right system match, you don't care about anything else, because it just balances out and everything sounds right.

Apr 24, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #75 of 207
So, back on topic, nobody likes my smile?
5000smile.gif

Oh wait, that wasn't on topic.... Anyway, really, gerg, I really appreciate your work here and look forward to more as they burn in, glad you are enjoying them.

I echo Yada's comment too, in that I would like to hear more about what you used to EQ the 650's, that's impressive. I've been curious what good EQ options there are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back