Sony SA5000, mosted detailed can under a grand?
Sep 6, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #16 of 29
Did I say mosted??
blink.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
Did I say mosted??
blink.gif

It's OK, you were excited!
biggrin.gif

I've not heard the SR-X, but I'd say the SR-404, SR-Lamda Pro, and W5000 are all no less detailed than the SA5000, all under $1000.

However, I'd certainly say the SA5K is the most detailed under $500, considering that the Stax also require an energizer.

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #18 of 29
The MDR-SA5000 is very detailed, but I think that's mostly because of artificially high treble boosting; I think it sounds great mated with a nice tube amp (like the darkvoice), but it does have less detail that way. I personally much prefer the suggestions of SR-X mk.3 sonically. However, if you're used to circumaural cans, it may not suit you comfort wise. It's also very loose on the head compared to the cans in your list.

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
The MDR-SA5000 is very detailed, but I think that's mostly because of artificially high treble boosting; I think it sounds great mated with a nice tube amp (like the darkvoice), but it does have less detail that way. I personally much prefer the suggestions of SR-X mk.3 sonically. However, if you're used to circumaural cans, it may not suit you comfort wise. It's also very loose on the head compared to the cans in your list.

The SA5000 remains quite detailed when EQed flat (and generally sounds better that way). It's a bit veiled, but certainlly not to HD650 proportions.

Sep 6, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #21 of 29
I'd have to say the most detailed can's under $1k I've heard are the AKG K340 and K1000. I didn't listen long enough to the K1000 to really get a full grasp of how detailed it is, but from my brief listen, I thought it at least kept up with the K340, if not exceeded it. Remember, the K340 has an electret element which contributes well to the detail.

Aditya

Sep 6, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #22 of 29
Yep....the SA5K has loads of details but, IMO, lack musical enjoyment. I take the HD-650 w/ Zu and K701 over the SA5K any day. Of course, this impression was drawn a year ago based on SDS and Sony SCD-C555ES (SACDmods) as a source.

Purk

edit:
I listen to a lot of female vocals, male vocals, and jazz and found the SA5K to be a bit recessed in the midrange and has somewhat dry tonality. I also prefer the bass on the HD-650 w/ the Zu cable over the SA5K. I can see why people like the SA5K with Rocks as they are very fast.

Sep 6, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #23 of 29
how about cd3k? those sound pretty damn detailed to me and even with inflated limited 2nd hand market, they are still under a grand.

Sep 6, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #24 of 29
Once again SA5000 is blamed to be "super treble heavy". When I owned them paired with RP5.1 tube hybrid, I had no problems with the high end at all. Not even once did I experience sibilance with them (like I did with GS1000 for example). Even RS-1 and RS-2 had slightly brighter sound signature than SA5000. Maybe they just matched so well with RP5.1 or something.
confused.gif

And yes SA5000 has tons of details. IMO they had maybe slightly more detail than W5000.

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
And yes SA5000 has tons of details. IMO they had maybe slightly more detail than W5000.

My experience was the other way around.

Sep 7, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #27 of 29
With analog Monster cables the SA5000's didn't sound very good with my Harman/Kardon amp. With optical cables they are better than my K701's (except for sounstage) and recabled HD580's.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
This hobby is to subjective.. Theres no right or wrong, just based on what we personally like..Makes it tough..
frown.gif

Yup, that's the way it works around here
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to be a very proud member of Team SA5k and absolutely loved them for their detail...but then I tried the SR-404's. Needless to say, I'm now a STAX convert
lambda.gif

I found the SR-404's to be more detailed than the SA5k's and to have more extension in the highs (While still retaining a neutral signature). I found the 404's to also be more comfortable, have much more bass quantity & quality (You'll be shocked at how dry and thin the low end is with the SA5k's; it only sounds detailed because all the plump juice has been sucked out, leaving an anorexic skeleton of the bass notes), and just flat out more musical and fun to listen to. I also found the 404's to be compatible with more types of music than the SA5k's due to the more neutral presentation. As I reflect back, I can't even believe that I liked such a bright, dry sound. Since you're coming from some Senns, you might find the SA5k's to be unnaturally bright and fatiguing.

You can get several electrostatic rigs for under a grand. My 313/404 combo costed me $800 in total, and I paid a premium to get the SRM-313 shipped to me faster. There are lower end STAX systems that you could try out to determine if electrostats are for you or not.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #29 of 29
In my experience paired with an Aria these cans exagerated the high frequency range to great extent. I couldn not stand to wear them for more than a few minutes. The low end sounded just as wrong. They are cool looking though.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back