Sony S639 - only in the UK?
Dec 3, 2008 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

fromthelane

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wanting to get a new MP3 player soon and I'm interested almost exclusively in sound quality, battery life, and storage. I've come to the Sony players and the S639 (the 16gb model) in particular.

However, I can only find it on UK websites. Is it not available in the US at all? I'm going to England over Christmas so it's no problem but I'm curious.

87.99 gbp on Play.com seems to be about the chepest. Good deal?

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 41
I believe it is also available in Japan. Not in the US at all. Sony Style could not tell me when it will hit the US.

Best to get it in the UK over Christmas. Amazon.com UK was 83.99 last week. Don't know what it is this week.

I'm about to hire some Nigerian mules at $1000 each to swallow 100 s639 inside condoms to smuggle them into New York.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 41
Advanced MP3 ships overseas and removes VAT though, so if you want it now rather than later, that would be the best time. But honestly Christmas is very close, so you could possibly wait.

These are quite insanely cheap (for Sony), I hope they stay this way when they import to America.

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Advanced MP3 ships overseas and removes VAT though, so if you want it now rather than later, that would be the best time. But honestly Christmas is very close, so you could possibly wait.

These are quite insanely cheap (for Sony), I hope they stay this way when they import to America.

If not, we could just keep using Advanced MP3.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 41
Shame it doesn't have the brush metal finish. Does it still look nice though walkingman?

Having done a search of the forum it seems this player is very much FOTM. What is it that's drawing everybody in exactly?

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 41
Sony's sound quality has always been very solid/popular, and since this has (reportedly) better SQ (smoother treble than the A818? Slight mid-range dip making it more "fun"? Need confirmation), much less hiss, and a reasonable price, I don't see a reason why this player wouldn't be popular for so many.

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony's sound quality has always been very solid/popular, and since this has (reportedly) better SQ (smoother treble than the A818? Slight mid-range dip making it more "fun"? Need confirmation)

You pretty much got it. It just has that "enjoyable" sound to it that will keep you happy no matter how long you listen.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fromthelane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame it doesn't have the brush metal finish. Does it still look nice though walkingman?

The finish isn't as great as the A818, which has a more expensive feel (probably due to the matte surface which). The built is just as good though.

I have the red one. My girlfriend just bought the orange/silver one yesterday and it looks great. Both looks ace!

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 41
Well, the exchange rate is at a 12 month low of 1.47 so 87.99GBP works out at $130. For a 16GB Sony MP3 player that's a fantastic price, regardless of whether it's a brush finish or not.

Now's the time to bite the bullet for me I think.

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #15 of 41
Go w/Advanced MP3, shipped it fine, and they dropped the VAT. Funny thing is, since I was doubting it, the S639 drives my 60ohm cheapo Koss ksc75's w/ease. And the sound staging is just amazing, w/no EQ enhancement what so ever. I do use the normalizer & DSEE (Sound Enhance) feature though. Really an excellent dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back