Sony S61X vs. Sony A81X vs. Zune8; Which is a better value?
Apr 2, 2008 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ttmnky

New Head-Fier
Hello to all again!

I've got a Sansa Clip for portable use, but I'm planning on getting a higher-capacity player for home use, perhaps to use with a speaker dock. However, I'd still use it for longer trips, etc.

SQ-wise, I've heard that the A81X and S61X are very good, but I'm unsure about Zune8.

From Head-fiers who have had any experience with these players, which would be of a better value? I'd expect more accessories for the Zune8, but am unsure about its SQ and build.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 15
My answer to this would be it depends. Based on my brief experience with them in-store.

If you don't have a good phones and not planning to get one, then the A81X has the best value. Many said A81X comes with a decent phones. And the price is about the same as the S61X for the same capacity.

If you already have a good phones or planning to get one and you don't care about the looks and built. Then, S61X has better value, just because S61X has everything that A81X has plus radio.

But I don't know how good will the Sony's be when used with the speaker dock.

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Bostitch makes a very good point. If you can't afford headphones at the current moment the Sony trumps the Zune hands down because of the included EX82's.

If you can purchase new headphones . . . the SOny still trumps the Zune8. the Zune80 has pretty good SQ, but the Zune8 does not share the same audio quality.

Between the 6 and 8 series Sony, it's up to you. The sound the same (theoretically). The 6 has FM (pointless unless you listen to sports). The 8 is just so much sexier and built much better.

Sony NWZ-A818

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 15
The Zune 80 gig HD player is the best player I have owned to date. I was surprised/disappointed that the Zune 8 gig flash player did not follow the 80 in terms of sound. I found the flash player too bright and tizzy in the treble. I returned it to Office Depot the same day I bought it. What a disappointment! I assume that the Sony is better.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zune 80 gig HD player is the best player I have owned to date. I was surprised/disappointed that the Zune 8 gig flash player did not follow the 80 in terms of sound. I found the flash player too bright and tizzy in the treble. I returned it to Office Depot the same day I bought it. What a disappointment! I assume that the Sony is better.

Odd. As far as I know, they both share the same DAC. I wonder why the two sound so different from eachother...

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Odd. As far as I know, they both share the same DAC. I wonder why the two sound so different from eachother...

Different battery(lower current), different PCB design, different amp, different caps, different software(maybe). There are many things that affect the sound quality, these are some of them.

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 15
I have the following:

Sony s618
iPod Nano
Zune 8gb

Sony has the best portability and sound quality. Decent video; multitude of options/customizations.

Nano is the easiest to use and does very good multimedia; Excellent video. SQ is almost as good as the Sony's.

Zune has WiFi, which is somewhat useful for me. Zune marketplace (ZMP) has better options that iTunes; However, iTunes is easier to use. Zune is noticeably larger than the other two.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 15
Hmm... surprising about the Zune 8 then... I was hoping for the SQ being en par with the Zune 80.

I don't have very good phones at the moment (JVC Marshmallow, RP-HTX7), so I'll probably go with the A810 for their buds.

Surprising that the Nano's SQ is getting pretty decent! I always thought that the iPod line's SQ was pretty bad by reputation (save the Shuffle 1G). I've never actually tried any of the nanos yet though...

For the value though, Nano vs. A810? If they're both the same capacity. A810?

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 15
If you are in the US, currently you can buy Sony A818 from sonystyle.com for $130 + tax (after $40 promotion code/coupon, use WALKMAN40 if I'm not mistaken, and this only for A818 on clearance not refurbished). Anyway, with that price, currently I think A818 has the best value if the A818 met you features requirements.

Btw, I don't know how the Sony phones compares with Marshmallow or the RP-HTX7. You might want to ask around a little bit. I expect it is better than what you have, but not sure how much better.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 15
i'm wondering if A610 have line out like A610. anyone know?

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm wondering if A610 have line out like A610. anyone know?

I suppose yes, though I'm not quite sure.
biggrin.gif

Now seriously, if you meant A81x series, no they don't have line out(excluding the dock). I'd like to have a line-out cable(from the dock port), but I doubt such a thing exists.

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Apr 7, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 15
I have gotten a chance to listen to the newer HDD based Zune and it definitely sounds much better than my 1st Gen Nano. However, neither of them were as clear w/ as much deep bass when compared to the Sony S616. I just wish it didn't transfer so horribly slow. It's still lacking resume functionality for audio podcasts, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back