Sony rootkit halted
Nov 12, 2005 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Beach123456

1000+ Head-Fier
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6139685.html

Sony has temporarily stopped making Cds with the rootkit software on them.
icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 27
Yeah, but at least it didn't last long and was discovered quickly. Think, if someone didn't find out about this as soon as they did, other record companies could start doing it, which is very bad because other record companies might actually have decent artists signed on to them!
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 27
Temporarily. That means they halted production until they can program a new and improved rootkit that is even harder to find
rolleyes.gif

IMO.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I wouldnt worry about that. Someone will find it, no matter what sony does to prevent it, someone will eventually find it.

And in the meantime?

I swear that there used to be, at some long-forgotten point in time, a concept known as "ethics".

Nov 12, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Yeah, but at least it didn't last long and was discovered quickly. Think, if someone didn't find out about this as soon as they did, other record companies could start doing it, which is very bad because other record companies might actually have decent artists signed on to them!
frown.gif

Discovered quickly? The copy protection is almost a year old. If anything I am surprised it wasn't found earlier.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5492395.html

This just means they will probably use Sunncomm untill they can find something better.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
And in the meantime?

I swear that there used to be, at some long-forgotten point in time, a concept known as "ethics".

Yeah. "Ethics".

Why don't you see sony about that one, I'm sure the automated letter you will get in return will be very informative.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
And in the meantime?

It's certainly unethical for Sony to do what it did, but they did it in response to wholesale theft of intellectual properrty, which is also unethical (and illegal).

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
It's certainly unethical for Sony to do what it did, but they did it in response to wholesale theft of intellectual properrty, which is also unethical (and illegal).

Still doesn't make it right. Technically, as far as law goes, they didn't commit a crime. It was just kinda sleazy.

Nov 12, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander
Still doesn't make it right. Technically, as far as law goes, they didn't commit a crime. It was just kinda sleazy.

Agreed. Extremely sleazy.

Does anyone know if the new Kate Bush disc is affected?

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 27
I doubt it is legal to install software on your computer without informing you of it.

Nov 12, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 27
That's it guys - I've stopped buying CDs for good. I've had my doubts before due to simpler DRM methods, loudness race and so on, but all this rootkit thing is just too much tolerate.

Don't know what to do next as I wouldn't want to stop listening to music. I know someone's going to mention the V word but I think digital's the thing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back