sony repair run-around =advice needed
May 28, 2006 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jrussell6

100+ Head-Fier
so,,, i had a pair of sony mdr sa3000's loved em,,,, till within 3 months moving the cable around the area of the jack would cause the right headphone to cut out,,, so i sent them in for warranty repair,,,, the guy say's "these are elegeble for trade in- we'll send you a refurbished pair" i say,, ok, send me a refurbished pair,, i call them a week later,,, and "sir we tried to email you 4 time",, (didn't get one of em) so i say, that's nice, what's the deal with my cans, "sir there was no available replacement for your headphones, we've already initiated our buy-back option"'' me- " I already gave someone money for headphones,, i don't want the money again, i want headphones"..

"sir, we've already aranged to have a check sent to you within a month"

"what did they stop making them, your telling me that sony doesn't have a single pair of these anymore"

"I can't tell you that sir"

"How about giving me a pair of mdr-sa5000s?? "

"huh". sir all i know is that if they couldv'e giving you something in exchange they would've"

you'll recieve you check in about a month.

"i'lk like to let you know that if you don't sent me my headphones or better ones, i'll never buy a sony product again, and i'll give that check your sending me directly to your competitors"

"I'm filing a complaint for you right now sir, have a good evening"

soooooooooooo- i need some advice,,,, i loved my sa 3000's but thought they lacked bass, but awesome definition,,, they were super-comfy like super super comfy, but for my next cans i want more bass,,,,,, i also want to plug directly to ipod or to microstack. i was thinking k701s, can they plug direct to ipod???

any other suggestions?

May 28, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 14
Why would it be a problem for them to send you a check... they're not going to give you a much more expensive headphone for free. I say take the check, and buy whatever you want.

May 28, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 14
Do they "buy back" for full value? If so, I would not be bothered. I understand it is not exactly what you want, but it could be worse.

If they are giving you full value, then I believe that they did not have a suitable replacement. Any company would rather replace the merchandise than send back cash.

May 28, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 14
You could probably use the over-inflated MSRP of the SA3000s to buy one on these forums, or maybe even a SA5000.

May 28, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
You could probably use the over-inflated MSRP of the SA3000s to buy one on these forums, or maybe even a SA5000.

x2!!!

Take the $$$ and run. Have them send you MSRP ($$$). Heck... I see it as a "Free" upgrade.

Garrett

May 28, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 14
MSRP of SA3000 = 350$ USD

SA5000 on forums = ~300$ USD

Free upgrade here + 50$; anyone got some broken SA3000s?
icon10.gif

MSRP of SA5000 = 700$ USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upgrade anyone? Care of sony?
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 14
Why would you not take the check and just buy SA5K's (as many peopple have already suggested)? Man, this seems like a really good opportunity for an upgrade...

May 28, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Well FYI and according to my experience with Sony (very good BTW, opposite to the rest of the headfiers that had dealt with them) they do not buy at full retail price, unless the item is inside the first 30 days, and the item is not available anymore.
After that, they estimate the value given the time used, etc...and offer either a refurbished similar item or take some discount over the price you paid but you have to send them the original receipt, but if you have not send them any receipt stating the price you actually paid for them, how they will give you a refund then???

This is a little fishy there, if you got them used from another headfier, then you are no eligible for anything as you are not the original purchaser and the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser...

May 28, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well FYI and according to my experience with Sony (very good BTW, opposite to the rest fo the headfiers that had dealt with them) they do not buy at full retail price, unless the item is inside the first 30 days, and the tiem is not available anymore.
After that, they estimate the value given the time used, etc...and offer either a refurbished similar item or take some discount over the price you paid but you have to send them the original receipt, but if you have not send them any receipt stating the price you actually paid for them, how they will give you a refund then???

This is a little fishy there, if you got them used from another headfier, then you are no elegible for anything as you are not the original purchaser and the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser...

Well, that pissed on my fire didn't it? I guess it makes sense.

May 28, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 14
i did send them a reciept,,,, and i paid 196 for them originally thank you amazon,,,,, so i kindof thought i got a great deal on them, which is why i was bummed,, so yeah,, free upgrade, but i'm def not getting back 400 for them,,, just the 196, and that will be put to new phones,, so what should i get,,,, sa5000's or k701's,, 350$ is about as high as i'm willing to go,, thanks for the input

May 28, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussell6
i did send them a reciept,,,, and i paid 196 for them originally thank you amazon,,,,, so i kindof thought i got a great deal on them, which is why i was bummed,, so yeah,, free upgrade, but i'm def not getting back 400 for them,,, just the 196, and that will be put to new phones,, so what should i get,,,, sa5000's or k701's,, 350$ is about as high as i'm willing to go,, thanks for the input

I'd go SA5000. If you liked the SA3000, the SA5000 will be fantastic for you... and you liked them unamped, right?

May 28, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 14
yes, i was listening to them through several different sources,,,, my ipod mainly i would say was "ok" from my stereo reciever was great,,,, and from my laptop was not so great, i tried a cmoy,, but couldn't tell the diff except a little less noise, but i do have planns to get a micro amp. i've been thinking sa5000 is the way to go,,but i'ld love to hear any oppinions or input as to why that would be good or not,, i would mostly be listening either out of a macbook or home reciever. (with a hopefull microamp on the way,

would the bass response from the sa5000s be better than from the 701's? headroom doesn't have a nifty helpful graph for the sony's

May 28, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussell6
yes, i was listening to them through several different sources,,,, my ipod mainly i would say was "ok" from my stereo reciever was great,,,, and from my laptop was not so great, i tried a cmoy,, but couldn't tell the diff except a little less noise, but i do have planns to get a micro amp. i've been thinking sa5000 is the way to go,,but i'ld love to hear any oppinions or input as to why that would be good or not,, i would mostly be listening either out of a macbook or home reciever. (with a hopefull microamp on the way,

would the bass response from the sa5000s be better than from the 701's? headroom doesn't have a nifty helpful graph for the sony's

IMO they are not even in the same class, I have heard a few times now the 701, and I had the same exact feeling about their AKG house sound, as the first day I head them with only 50 hours of burn in. The sound IMO have not chage at all, same soft sounding headphones, with a lot of leakage, and you need to crack them up to feel them in you. The oveall presentation is ok once you get them to be loud enough to let them come across, and the construction is OK, very good looking headphones, but even though I feel the Sony more unique regarding that...but the Sony has a lot more punch, kick, extension, details, micro and macro both, and the presentation is completely different, and they are super sensitive and super efficient, my only pet peeve with them is the bass behaviour, but other than that...top notch headphones!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back