Sony PSP Impressions and Pics (dial up warning)
May 17, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #61 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by noir
naturally i haven't played GT4, but i have played GT1,2,3 ... and i don't see what they could change.It's just another cashcow.

I played a lot of GT1, and some GT3. Although there isnt too much to improve on (an already great game), there are still some changes that would make it worthwhile to me (coming from GT1). Of course new courses and cars are expected, but they are going to have to expand the different driving modes. For example, the could expand the "weak" rally racing, or add style racing (PGR2). Plus, we are talking about the PSP, meaning it will be the first portable GT anyways.

May 17, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #62 of 64
I agree with you reeseboisse,
nintendo has been tip-toeing though handheld technology sence the first GB, but I can see nintendo going "OH SH!T" the second sony announced their jump to handheld market and putting a lot more tought into the handheld market then they did before. Maybe nintendo will suprize us, I sure hope so.

But on the other hand, is this the end of the 2d market? I, to this day, think the Snes has not been topped, and if 2d dies completely, its going to be very hard to make the games with the addiction and fun factor that the old Snes games had. In fact I think the only 3d games that hold my attention like the old Snes platformers and such are the "*****-Around" games like THPS and GTA.

May 18, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #63 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
It should be an interesting fight, no matter which side you like.

I would personally like to see Nintendo lose the console war and decide to make cross-platform software like Sega has done. With consoles becoming more and more advanced, and in turn, more and more similar, it seems to me that the most important factor these days is software. Nintendo makes stellar software, there is no question about that. But in order to play any of their titles, you need to have one of their machines. While it was my childhood dream to own 500 different consoles, it is in my older age that I pine for convenience and compact solutions.

Actually, computer technology has gotten to the point where it's almost not necessary to make separate consoles. The ports I've seen of console games are usually better on PCs. Hooking up controllers via USB is quite easy and rather precise these days.

May 18, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #64 of 64
Sorry for off-topic. It's funny. I've known feng since 3rd grade lol. Always very talented, if a bit nerdy. The guy dropped out of UC berkeley to attend art center at pasadena. He used to constantly doodle, and I guess it paid off
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
PSP has three different types of media that it will use:

1. Games
2. Movies
3. Music Videos

As for the audio side of the PSP, it is a huge leap foward in portable gaming sound. The treble does suffer from sibilance, but I think it has more to do the with the headphones and compression in the movie trailers, and music video demos they were looping. But the PSP has by far the best sound I've heard out of a portable system, period.

There are no line outs, only a headphone jack. There is a mini USB port on the top for periphials and other 3rd party add ons.
None of the models they had out had functional headphone jacks, I think they were all prototypes, with most everything hard wired in the back. (they were strapped down). So I didn't get a chance to try listening to them with my Ety's.

OK, this pic has nothing to do with PSP, but it's a fun one indeed. It's a character designed by Feng Zhu for the game Blood Rayne.
biggrin.gif

BloodRayne_03s.jpg

Sony PSP is slated for Japan launch for the Christmas season 2004. United States is due for Spring 2005 (they said, probably March), and unknown for Europe.

Sony has not decided whether or not to regionally code the games, but they are going to regionally code movies and music, like DVD's already are.

No prices have been released yet, but rumors are that it could be as mch as $400 at launch, with it possibly as "low" as $300 if Sony decides to lose money on the launch to help gain a foothold. My bet is that it will launch for 45,000+Yen in Japan and $350 in the USA initially.

No word on software prices either.
Still two days left of E3, so we'll see.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back