Sony PSP: Best Ways to Improve Sound Quality
Dec 28, 2005 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jeffreybowman2k

100+ Head-Fier
Just got a PSP, and I am having a hard time justifying it as my primary portable music player over ipod. i have been using ipod with UM-2s and Pocket Amp 2 V2 (via line out with Pocket Dock), and it produces excellent sound quality. The PSP, on the other hand, isn't efficient enough to drive the UM-2s, has no line out, and i don't hear much improvement when i connect Pocket Amp 2 to the PSP earphone jack.

Any suggestions (other than selling the PSP and sticking with the ipod)!

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 24
The iPod sounds better than the PSP, I don't think anyone here would argue that.
confused.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 24
Personally I think the PSP is only good for gaming, but maybe my standards are too high. The Shure E4's seem to mate well with it for that purpose... I threw some music on there a while back and it didn't really do it for me though.
frown.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman2k
btw, sounds like emily has some kinda rack.

LOL... I wonder how many people actually notice that.
biggrin.gif
[FYI, she told me to put that there after she got professionally fitted recently.]

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman2k
best to emily. you're a lucky man indeed.

I agree, very lucky... and not just because of the rack.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 24
There isn't anything you can do, AFAIK. It just has a sucky headphone out, no way around it. I guess you could try and convince Red Wine to do PSP audio mods or something, but yeah, other than that...

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 24
Just use the ipod. If you wanna watch movies, get a media player. You wanna play games, get a gameboy.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
You wanna play games, get a gameboy.

Yeah, if you wanna play crappy games.
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
tongue.gif

LOL. Actually, the GB has a library of about 1000 titles, and many of them are still very playable. I like the ability just to power up a portable unit and play a simple game, just like I prefer pressing play on a simple DAP when I'm travelling than lugging around a tube amp and waiting for it to warm up.

Actually...I'd never spend anymore than 5 minutes playing any GB game
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 24
I just got a PSP, too! So far, I've been using my HD497s with it while playing SOCOM and it's been sounding rather nice. I haven't tried playing music on it other than the promo disc it comes with. I would imagine, though, that music would sound better from my IAudio M3 than the PSP. Part of that is due to my obsession with lossless music. At best, I could only use 320kbs MP3s on the PSP.
I really just wanted the PSP for the games. I might watch the occasional movie on it but that's it. I'll stick with my compy or M3 when it comes to music.

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 24
Don't want to turn this into a flame war, but the PSP although technically superior and nicer looking, really is lacking in quality games. Sure they look nice, but there really aren't any good games out for the system. I've owned a DS, GBA SP and PSP, and the former were both great for games (Mario Kart DS is amazing), and PSP is good for movies on the go... or homebrew software, which is mainly what i used it for. Sega Genesis, NES, SNES, all excellent on the PSP, but commercial games? No thanks.

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 24
Dude, give the PSP some more time. It will have plenty of quality titles next year. You can bet that Sony will put plenty of its efforts into the unit.

By summer 2006, there should be more than a handful of "A" class games, and hopefully there will be a revision B PSP with a lower price tag.

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 24
I actually haven't cared for the GBA games as of late. I think the last one I really enjoyed was Wing Commander. I have been hooked on SOCOM for the PSP, however. It's just a matter of taste. ^_^

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
tongue.gif

Hey, just stay away from anything with "mary-kate and ashley" in the title, and you'll be fine.
biggrin.gif

I agree with mull, the current title library isn't much to sing about, and I still think the graphics aren't that good. (Just plain horrible for some games) And man, the loading times are annoying if you're on the go. Yeah, I know I've got an obvious hatred for the psp (even though I love the ps1+2). I just think sony could've done better, but IMO they half-assed everything. This is a $250 system with $40-50 games afterall. That may seem like chump change for some, but for folks like me is just isn't worth it with what's out atm. I still got an old gba that works fine and has quite a few good titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back