Sony PS Vita (and PSP) has a Wolfson DAC!! :-O
Apr 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

hyogen

500+ Head-Fier
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS-Vita-General-Discussion/Audio-Quality-on-the-vita-is-WOWWWWWW/td-p/15222475/page/2

confirmed that it has Wolfson dac here:  http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28976093/ps-vita-insides-oled-screen-by-samsung-huge-images   I have another thread that says it indeed has really good sound, but a weak amp (can't seem to find that now--it may have not been talking about the vita come to think of it...)

one guy was super impressed when plugging in his TF10.  I know it's kinda much to pay $85 or so for a 32GB memory card......and apparently there's not a really easy way to load music in there--but I can't imagine ANYTHING being worse than using the Zune software.  

apparently there will be a software for music soon..

Another poster with monster Beats headphones wasn't impressed........
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I also found out that the original psp has the wolfson as well...I believe all models of the psp. I always thought the audio was super clean..just a little underpowered.

Wolfson Microelectronics WM8973G.
http://www.edepot.com/reviews_sony_psp.html

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 49
holy crap, a new reason to buy a vita...

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 49

Quote:
You don't have to start a new thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/567708/thoughts-on-upcomming-sony-psp-vita

my bad.  I'm guessing the Wolfson in the title might have caught the attention of some people who might not have seen it otherwise.

There's not too much reason to get one right now in my opinion--it's doing pretty horribly both in Japan and the rest of the world..  One would be wise to maybe wait till the E3 event to see if there's gonna be a lot of 3rd party support for it....or else it might turn into a dead system pretty fast.  Hopefully it'll at least do as well as the PSP over time

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 49
FYI found out the $20 charging cradle has LOD.. Ppl saying its low volume...so need amp. :)

Also from the original vita thread tht it's a WM1803E

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 49

Quote:
one guy was super impressed when plugging in his TF10.  I know it's kinda much to pay $85 or so for a 32GB memory card......and apparently there's not a really easy way to load music in there--but I can't imagine ANYTHING being worse than using the Zune software.  

Oh the Vita software is A LOT worse than Zune.  Actually Zune is very good and easy to use with plenty of functionality.  The Vita software on the other hand is down right backwards in comparison, has zero functions (absolutely ZERO, no playlists creation, no wireless sync etc) and FORCES the user to control the software on the Vita's tiny touch screen, there's also no mass storage mode either so it's the worse of both worlds (massively locked down with crap software with no way of using mass storage to bypass such crap software), it's really REALLY bad.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 49

Quote:
my bad.  I'm guessing the Wolfson in the title might have caught the attention of some people who might not have seen it otherwise.

There's not too much reason to get one right now in my opinion--it's doing pretty horribly both in Japan and the rest of the world..  One would be wise to maybe wait till the E3 event to see if there's gonna be a lot of 3rd party support for it....or else it might turn into a dead system pretty fast.  Hopefully it'll at least do as well as the PSP over time

Apparently the 3DS didn't do well either. So I'm guessing portable game consoles just don't appeal to people anymore. Especially when they have an iPhone or Android phone. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 49

Quote:
Oh the Vita software is A LOT worse than Zune.  Actually Zune is very good and easy to use with plenty of functionality.  The Vita software on the other hand is down right backwards in comparison, has zero functions (absolutely ZERO, no playlists creation, no wireless sync etc) and FORCES the user to control the software on the Vita's tiny touch screen, there's also no mass storage mode either so it's the worse of both worlds (massively locked down with crap software with no way of using mass storage to bypass such crap software), it's really REALLY bad.

The Zune software however is very laggy. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 49

Quote:
The Zune software however is very laggy. 

Runs great on my machine, faster than a lot of other "heavy" music players like iTunes in fact.  But then again I run a core i7 with 8gigs RAM and an SSD for my programs partition. :p

The Vita software is hands down the worst piece of library management software I've used in a long time and I've used a lot of them in the past two to three years (iTunes, Zune, foobar, J. River Media Center, Double Twist, Songbird, Winamp).  It's functionally equivalent to drag and drop yet without the actual freedom of USB mass storage because it won't allow you to connect the Vita to the PC without a dedicated piece of server software being installed on the PC you are trying to connect to, again like I said it's the worst of both worlds.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Apparently the 3DS didn't do well either. So I'm guessing portable game consoles just don't appeal to people anymore. Especially when they have an iPhone or Android phone. 

If you look up the numbers, the vita is doing way more poorly than any of the systems even psp. 3ds struggled recently but its doing quite well now. For perspective.....the psp is selling much better than the vita in Japan.......and the 3ds much better than both.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 49

Quote:
Runs great on my machine, faster than a lot of other "heavy" music players like iTunes in fact.  But then again I run a core i7 with 8gigs RAM and an SSD for my programs partition. :p

The Vita software is hands down the worst piece of library management software I've used in a long time and I've used a lot of them in the past two to three years (iTunes, Zune, foobar, J. River Media Center, Double Twist, Songbird, Winamp).  It's functionally equivalent to drag and drop yet without the actual freedom of USB mass storage because it won't allow you to connect the Vita to the PC without a dedicated piece of server software being installed on the PC you are trying to connect to, again like I said it's the worst of both worlds.

You mean mediaGO? Yeah, it is pretty bad. Well, my computer is not that fast, so apparently iTunes run faster than Zune on it. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 49

Quote:
If you look up the numbers, the vita is doing way more poorly than any of the systems even psp. 3ds struggled recently but its doing quite well now. For perspective.....the psp is selling much better than the vita in Japan.......and the 3ds much better than both.

I see, maybe it's the price. I feel the PSvita's price is too expensive for any kid to get it. The 3DS also recently dropped the price but a great amount. Another it has to do is games, 3DS is accumulating games, which it has more now, but the region lock is really annoying. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 49
What good is it if you have to buy their proprietary micro cards that are super expensive.  I'm sure the Vita will be hacked very soon and will support nicer things, what intrigues me most is the possibility of a wifi enabled Foobar remote.  Stream your foobar from your Vita anywhere in your house, or if you have the 4g model anywhere you want thats under coverage.   Lots of possibilities.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back