SONY PS-LX350H TURNTABLE (CARTRIDGE)
Oct 9, 2008 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

WaxMan

100+ Head-Fier
Well the title says it all. I own the above Sony turntable, and I would like to know if it would be worth my time to put a nice cartridge on it. Right now, it is fitted with a brand new generic $20 job I purchased at a local shop near campus. You see, the shop I purchased it from, although a very fine shop, is not a shop that would lend an ear to the audiophile. Anyway back to my questions. Would it be worth my time, given the make and model of my turntable, to outfit it with a cartridge worthy of being deemed 'Audiophile'? And if it were, would anyone care to point me in the right direction? I am also curious as to whether I am correct in concluding that my turntable has a standard mount, as opposed to a p-mount. I look forward to any help in this matter with all the hope that I can hopefully someday help someone with the knowledge I would gain from your responses. Thank you in advance. Happy listening, and best. - WaxMan.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 6
I might be able to fix you up, but you'll have to tell me if it needs standard or P-mount. I checked eBay, no luck.

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would be worth my time to put a nice cartridge on it.

Not really. I wouldn't spend much over 100USD on it for sure. It looks like a Technics clone so the best you could do would proably be a Denon DL110. I wouldn't go much higher than this especially since you can pick up lots of nice old decks for this kind of price.
Cheaper options would be the Audio Technica range which are all good for the money. The AT110, AT95E, AT120E and AT440MLa are the usual suspects.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi, new here as of today just seen you're post I have the same sony ps-lx350H turntable not a bad one for the price and the mount is 1/2" standard and and the cartridge can be 6 grams to 10 grams. I went with a Audio- technica the- AT150MLX Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge is hot and is $259.99 -list for $499.00 at LP Gear.. They do have the best price out there I think but you can go many ways not just with a Audio-Technica.. ---AT440MLa phono cartridge for $99.95- list for $299.00 so there is alot of ways to go I know its high for a TT that cost 170 bucks but cartridges and Stylus do make a diffreance any way keep the needle down and the wax turning

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm in the same boat.  I bought one for the school as I teach a music appriciation class.  I've used it for about a week now and I think the table is ok but the cart is one step above a nail. (total junk).  I've ordered a Shure M97 ($69) from a local dealer and should have it in a week or 2.  I've used this cartidge before or at least I think I did, it was a Radio Shack/Shure that looked exactly like this one with the damped brush and everything.  I used it in an old BIC and it worked perfectly.  My point is that I think this cartridge is a really good match for turntables of this quality.  Very high trackability, warm balanced sound, and  forgiving of (so so) turntables.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back