Sony Playstation SCPH-1001 one of the best cd players around?
Aug 15, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 87
It's all lies, dude. First of all, there is nothing special about RCA connectors, especially not the ones that come on a Playstation 1. They aren't even made of anything nice. The only special thing about the 1001 is that it apparently had a better DAC than some of the other Playstation 1's which came out later. But it still is not anything even remotely resembling a nice DAC. I can tell you from first-hand experience, the Dreamcast sounds worlds better than the Playstation 1. Both have electrolytic capacitors in the signal path, which is a no-no in Hi-Fi.

The bottom line is, this is not some sort of secret treasure. People at Sony are rolling their eyes when they hear stuff like this.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 87
It will never beat a 6k$ player, no matter how much you mod it, but it does sound very good for the 30$ I spent on mine. I put in some new RCS sockets, bypassed the output stage, installed a remote sensor and messed with the wiring a bit. It will be even better if you replace the PSU and it should still be under 100$.

The sound is a bit rolled off but the midrange is nice and there is nothing really wrong with it, especially at this price. I sounds very different to other budget CDPs as they are designed to impress deaf people that don't know the difference...
evil_smiley.gif
so I can see why many vinyl lovers use it. Mine has been taken hostage by a vinyl fanatic and it looks like I'm not getting it back but no matter, I have another great source on the way.

Aug 16, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 87
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was just a joke, kinda like the $300 volume pot(Not sure if that's the right word, I mean the part of an amp that you turn to change volume)
It's pretty funny, though, how many people say audiophiles are extremely gullible when they look at those things, when those things were jokes in the first place
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was just a joke, kinda like the $300 volume pot(Not sure if that's the right word, I mean the part of an amp that you turn to change volume)
It's pretty funny, though, how many people say audiophiles are extremely gullible when they look at those things, when those things were jokes in the first place
tongue.gif

300$ for a volume pot is actually not that expensive (it's easy to go above 1k$) but I think you are referring to the Audio Consulting volume knob. I don't doubt that it does indeed work since the level of design and tweaking AC is at far surpasses all but a couple of "hi-fi" manufacturers. There is a good reason why the volume knob has a big impact on sound quality but it's more of an issue with speaker based systems.

Audio Consulting have far surpassed the point of diminishing returns and stuff like that doesn't matter, ultimate performance is the only goal and at any cost. People buying for instance Wilson speakers, Musical Fidelity gear and Transparent cables are the gullible ones.

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 87
Oh what's wrong with Wilson speakers? The reason I'm asking is that while I haven't looked hard into speakers... used Watt Puppies are high up on my list based on what I've read of their sound though obviously I'll listen to them first before I'm ready to buy.

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh what's wrong with Wilson speakers? The reason I'm asking is that while I haven't looked hard into speakers... used Watt Puppies are high up on my list based on what I've read of their sound though obviously I'll listen to them first before I'm ready to buy.

Overpriced crap IMO. I'm not saying you won't like them but they are certainly not high up on my list.

The problem with most audiophiles and "high end" company's is that they have the wrong priorities and/or don't know any better. There is so much BS in the industry that some people almost choke on it and those that try to say the truth are laughed at.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

really... but base on my experience with the H5, I can say that volume nob does make a difference. The H5 has unbalanced sound level and lost detail when volume is set at anywhere below the 9 o'clock position.

but no, i don't believe a PS1 would out match a well made, dedicated source.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overpriced crap IMO. I'm not saying you won't like them but they are certainly not high up on my list.

The problem with most audiophiles and "high end" company's is that they have the wrong priorities and/or don't know any better. There is so much BS in the industry that some people almost choke on it and those that try to say the truth are laughed at.

Amen to that brother. I have had some nasty comments thrown at me for pushing the TC-7510 DAC. Many people have bought it after reading about it on head-fi. I don't see them backing me up in my believes, but I don't see them complaining either that I have been telling a load of lies about how good it is.
The same goes for quite a few other good products on the market. Unless it has a certain name on it and/or cost tons of U$, it can't be good is what some people lead us to believe. Dream on. eBay is full of items bought in off the back of high expectations to match the high initial price.

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 87
Have any of the people who deride the PS1 actually heard a properly modded version where the DC blocking caps and passive output have been implemented ? I tried a 1002 using the exisiting phono sockets, it was really nothing special, dull and closed in. After the mods, all I can say is that the hype is fairly accurate, not $6,000 accurate, but "this shouldn't sound this good " accurate.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 87
This even goes further.
If you search the net over this topic you will find sites devoted to the PSOne as audio source. Tere is even a tube conversion by some freaky guy.
On ebay.de there are regular offers of overhauled Playstations with seperate power units, remotes, vampire RCAs and whatever.
Almost every big German audio magazine gave this some coverage or even offered conversion tips etc.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 87
I have been using a stock Playstation 1 Model SCPH-1001 now for a few months and my Onix XCD-88 (a.k.a. Music Hall CD-25.1) is now collecting dust. I use a PS Audio XStream Power Punch C-7 power cord, three (3) Isonode feet and a Chord Chrysalis RCA-DIN adapter cable to connect the Playstation 1 to my Naim Nait integrated amp. At first, I was a bit skeptical to even consider a 1990s game console but I gave it a try and I am glad I did. Other people who have used a decent power cord and good interconnect cables with their Playstation 1 have had similar favorable results. Some people have tried other models of the Playstation 1 (not Model SCPH-1001, and they really are different), heard the mediocre sound, and completely dismissed the Playstation 1. It has been my experience too that it takes a day or so for the sound to really fill in. But again, most people who have the Playstation and dismissed it, have not allowed their unit to power on for more than a day before trying it. With a little cleaning up and maintenance, I have had no problems with the Playstation's "cheap" laser mechanism tracking my CDs. Some heavily used Playstations have a lot of oxide build-up on the RCA connectors and need a good residue-free contact cleaner to remove the build-up. I have a couple extra Playstations that I intend to modify based on the http://www.diyaudio.com thread. Some of the mods may or may not be as effective as some of the DIYers believe, but there can always be some improvements made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back