Sony Playstation One - I heard it!! For alittle while....
Dec 16, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an old 7501 model that was stored away in a closet. Anyone thinks it might sound anywhere close to a 1001 model?

no, only the 100x and 550x models sound any good. sorry.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, only the 100x and 550x models sound any good. sorry.

Any rhyme or reason to this? Different decoding techniques? FWIR the only real differences (especially in the earlier versions) is the RCA out vs. Sony's proprietary plug out, but then I've not read a whole lot.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #19 of 27
I have a 5501 sitting here. This is the one that is supposed to sound really good? How exactly do I go about hooking my headphones up to it? The only audio-out it has is the Sony proprietary jack...

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 27
the 1001's are not bad given their usual sale price being around $20. Smoothed out sound, heavy mids and it somehow has great focus.

But the top end is rolled off, and lacks bass definition. Great for dynamic phones with sibilance problems. Definitly a fun source.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #21 of 27
gee golly willickers thanks for the great explanation
smily_headphones1.gif

/sarcasm

Any more detail than just two words?

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomo.is.ooc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any rhyme or reason to this? Different decoding techniques? FWIR the only real differences (especially in the earlier versions) is the RCA out vs. Sony's proprietary plug out, but then I've not read a whole lot.

these two models are the only ones to have the same AKM dac. all other models have either a different dac and output stage or one embedded in the processor. once modded (high pass on the output of the dac) to my ears they sound very very close. the 5502 that i have has rca outputs installed on the casing.
the 5502 has the benefit of having the laser assembly further away from the psu, as well as an improved psu (less overheating) and more space inside the chassis for modding.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z4N5H1N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 5501 sitting here. This is the one that is supposed to sound really good? How exactly do I go about hooking my headphones up to it? The only audio-out it has is the Sony proprietary jack...

..was this question too noob to warrant answering or what?

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #25 of 27
I searched both google and the forums for info on the RCA mod, but couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #27 of 27
Hm, I just downloaded the PS1 manual as a pdf. I didn't realize it had a bunch of "sound-shaping" options, e.g. "church" 'hall" "Dome" "Studio" "direct." Interestingly,there is also a SoundScope option when playing CD (when your hooked up to a tv). It's an oscilliscope display in a variety of patterns shaped by your music. I'm surprised none of these modders have thought about doing Marantz amp-kind of osciliscope display using the PS1's built in function. Now that would be fun. BTW, I tried adjust the voltage to no advantage. However I have learned it plays perfectly when you stand it up in the air on it left side. That's with both my units!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back