Sony player kinda ruined the iPod for me.
Dec 14, 2007 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

RickB

Headphoneus Supremus
After listening to my new Sony NWZ-S616F for the last few weeks and my iPod very little, I'm finding it kind of hard to go back to the iPod even though I want to.

The Sony player is only 4GB, but has the best sound quality I have ever heard in a portable (and I have owned a Zen Xtra and Rio Carbon). The iPod just seems so... flat with weak bass in comparison.

I regret that I could only afford the 4GB version of the Sony when I ordered it, and if they ever come out with a 16GB I will probably save up and get it.

Fortunately, I have access to my computer most of the time, so changing the music on the Sony is trivial. I figure that 4GB can hold me over for 1 month before I have to rotate music again.

Any other Sony converts coming from the iPod out there?

Rick

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening to my new Sony NWZ-S616F for the last few weeks and my iPod very little, I'm finding it kind of hard to go back to the iPod even though I want to. The Sony player is only 4GB, but has the best sound quality I have ever heard in a portable (and I have owned a Zen Xtra and Rio Carbon). The iPod just seems so... flat with weak bass in comparison.
I regret that I could only afford the 4GB version of the Sony when I ordered it, and if they ever come out with a 16GB I will probably save up and get it.

There are a LOT of people on Amazon.co.uk who have dumped their iPods in favour of the new Sony players. They say the SQ doesn't even compare, so you're not alone. I've never had an iPod so can't comment.

I saw the 616 the other day, it's very small and cute, nicer looking in the flesh than in photos. As for a 16GB version, there's the 919 but it's a Japan-only release (at the moment) and doesn't look so nice (imo) as the 8xx and 61x series. I am just about to buy my second 808 because I was listening to it just now, and had an image of it breaking down and being without it.

Couldn't stand to be without it so I have to get another one
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 27
Has anyone compared the SQ of the Iriver Clix 2 vs. the Sony? I've heard the Clix sounds absolutely fantastic.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hell yeah, I have owned ipods ranging from shuffle to nano to video...I would NEVER go back to ipods...Sony is the best, even when compared to samsung and creative, the SQ is unbeatable! Unfortunately we don't have cowan players down under so i can't comment on those, although i have read lots of good things about them.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 27
Hmm...they have the NWZ-A816 on sale for $100 for the holidays on the sony family center. Wonder if i should pull the trigger even though i dont NEED another mp3 player thingy,...hmm.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyIce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...they have the NWZ-A816 on sale for $100 for the holidays on the sony family center. Wonder if i should pull the trigger even though i dont NEED another mp3 player thingy,...hmm.

It's close to Christmas - a time of 'want' and not 'need'
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's close to Christmas - a time of 'want' and not 'need'
biggrin.gif

Might as well "daisy chain" everything and walk around with something resembling a cross between a toolbelt and the batbelt!
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 27
Have a Nano 4GB 1st Gen but don't use it. First I've heard the Sony NW-A1000 and switched to that it since sounded amazing. Then I've picked up the NWZ-S616F and use that it also sounds amazing. I am not sure what sounds better then NW-A1000 or the NWZ-S616F when my A1000 comes back from service I will compare. The both have excellent amplification but the A1000 has a Ti/BB PCM1772 that has the characteristic BB sound that is warm and smooth while the S616F is a bit more aggressive sounding but it still very good. It depends on my mood and headphones. With Shure E4C I prefer the S616F with the ER4 I prefer the A1000.

And I prefer both of these to my Nano Or Zen V Plus.

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 27
I was amazed that the clix 2 sounded better than my sony A3000 - I bought the sony knowing that I would have to struggle through mediocre software and a weak-sauced slow-as-molasses interface in favor of really great sound. It's a shame I find the clix 2 too small, because it's an otherwise perfect little player.

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 27
No doubt about it, the Sony 600 and 800 series players have fantastic SQ out of the box, but my Ipod classic with LO and Amp still sounds fuller and richer. I use the Ipod as my home rig and the Sony for out and about because of its portability. SQ wise the Sony IMO sounds better than any other player I've listened to from Apple, Archos or Creative unless of course I use those with an Amp.

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 27
SQ is all well and good but the last time I tried a Sony player the software was just so intrusive and required a rollback to return my computer to a cleanish state.
I tried removing it without the roll back but it mucked my windows install up. If you could use a Sony without their software I'd buy one tomorrow.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by murfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SQ is all well and good but the last time I tried a Sony player the software was just so intrusive and required a rollback to return my computer to a cleanish state.
I tried removing it without the roll back but it mucked my windows install up. If you could use a Sony without their software I'd buy one tomorrow.

The new Sonys that everyone is talking about no longer use SonicStage software or atrac file format. You can sync with whatever media player application you like, or just drag and drop. So, with the great sq and solid built quality, and the removal of the ball-and-chain SonicStage/atrac, Sony finally has a real winner.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #15 of 27
I have an NW-HD5, and I think it sounds better than an ipod (compared with my brother's). It's battery also last around 30 hrs on one charge - ridiculous! I'm definitely going to stick with my Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back