Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Sep 15, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #1,339 of 1,922
I bought the PHA-3 together with the MDR-Z7 headphones about 3 months ago. What bliss to hear Bach organ and Puccini opera in an environment that could trick you into believing you were at the console at the Wanamaker organ in Macy's PA; or in a prime box seat at La Scala.

However, six weeks ago I woke up with SSHL in my right ear and despite much medical poking around and many courses of treatment, I'm now completely deaf in my right ear. I can hear passably in the left; but at poor frequency response - 300Hz to 12kHz (I'm male, 64).

To my question: How can I cable these two components for the best possible audio quality, for mono output to my left ear, with as much of the original stereo content as possible? I have multiple transports available, including a MacBook Pro, a Sony Walkman NW-A20, an iPhone 6S plus and an Android Note 7.

Any help and advice would me very much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #1,340 of 1,922
Sorry for your situation.  I hope your left ear will slowly recover.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,341 of 1,922
  I bought the PHA-3 together with the MDR-Z7 headphones about 3 months ago. What bliss to hear Bach organ and Puccini opera in an environment that could trick you into believing you were at the console at the Wanamaker organ in Macy's PA; or in a prime box seat at La Scala.

However, six weeks ago I woke up with SSHL in my right ear and despite much medical poking around and many courses of treatment, I'm now completely deaf in my right ear. I can hear passably in the left; but at poor frequency response - 300Hz to 12kHz (I'm male, 64).

To my question: How can I cable these two components for the best possible audio quality, for mono output to my left ear, with as much of the original stereo content as possible? I have multiple transports available, including a MacBook Pro, a Sony Walkman NW-A20, an iPhone 6S plus and an Android Note 7.

Any help and advice would me very much appreciated - thanks in advance!

That's awful, so sorry to hear that. Is it caused by listening at high volume levels ? Hope you're hearing improves, it's so precious !

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,342 of 1,922

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6/diy-do-it-yourself-discussions

Search through these threads as it's the part of the forum where D.I.Y and the most helpful people roam. If there is a way (sure there is) to compensate correctly for your hearing imbalance those folks would be the most likely to help.

Short term easy fix can be Neutron>>Hardware settings>>>Force Mono output

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,343 of 1,922

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6/diy-do-it-yourself-discussions

Search through these threads as it's the part of the forum where D.I.Y and the most helpful people roam. If there is a way (sure there is) to compensate correctly for your hearing imbalance those folks would be the most likely to help.

Short term easy fix can be Neutron>>Hardware settings>>>Force Mono output

Thank you very much, and also others that have replied. I'd never heard of 'Neutron' but downloading it now. Looks like it has all the features I would currently want (especially mono) given my current limitations.

Regards.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #1,346 of 1,922
Sep 16, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,347 of 1,922
Before I potentially repurchase the Regen, has anybody paired it with the PHA-3, and if so, were the results positive?  I had the Regen paired with the Concero HP and it did make a positive difference, but sold them both for the PHA-3.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,348 of 1,922
  Option is a beautiful thing, JVC is out with a dual balanced 3.5mm DAC/AMP, on top of that they also have a balanced wire
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/headphone-amp/su-ax01/

So this means the JVC's will be able to be used balanced with the PHA-3!  :)

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #1,349 of 1,922
Anyone tried the hd650 with balanced connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back