Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Mar 8, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,114 of 1,929
How is the Synergy between PHA-3 and HD-600? Thinking of getting balanced cable for my HD-600
I've had a listen on three different days in the last three weeks. The hd600 sounds very good with it. And so does the hd650.

I get the feeling that the pha3 works great with headphones that aren't too coloured or that try to "dominate" a particular sound. I guess I'm saying they work well with nicely balanced headphones. Likely focal spirit pros.

My local dealer uses the bal ces connections with his hd650 and he tells me the sound is better and more details than the single ended. I don't know if he means it's a massive difference but he says there is an improvement

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #1,115 of 1,929
PHA-3 DSD on MacBook Pro

Just got my PHA-3, DSD (dff) file plays w/ Hi-Res Audio Player but w/ strong hiss and music of very poor quality (barely audible). Hi-fs light on PHA-3 is lit. DSD light on PHA-3 is not lit. Other formats play fine. Running on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) w/ OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5. Hi-Res Audio Play Version 1.2.3 (latest); DSDIFF Decoder 1.0.3; DSF Decoder; 1.0.2 (latest)

Anybody out there successfully playing DSD on macbook pro w/ Yosemite?

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,116 of 1,929
PHA-3 DSD on MacBook Pro
Anybody out there successfully playing DSD on macbook pro w/ Yosemite?

I got it to work. I _think_ I know what went wrong. FWIW, here is the sequence ...
  • opened SONY_USB_DAC_Amp_Driver_(Mac)_V1.1.dmg
  • installed SONY USB DAC Amplifier.pkg
  • installed Hi-ResAudioPlayer_1.2.3.pkg
  • player didn't work, went back, looked closely at instructions, even though i had never installed any SONY drivers, saw directions say to uninstall driver 1st, so ...
  • ran SONY USB DAC Amplifier Uninstall.app
  • for good luck, re-installed Hi-ResAudioPlayer_1.2.3.pkg
  • still didn't work, posted to this forum
  • next day, on hunch, deleted "Hi-Res Audio Player" from Mac first
  • then ran SONY USB DAC Amplifier Uninstall.app
  • installed Hi-ResAudioPlayer_1.2.3.pkg
  • now everything works!

Apparently 1st install player was some how bound to original driver.

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,118 of 1,929
Does that mean you can only use it as desktop dac? Noob question I know, but want to be sure before buying it

You could carry a usb battery pack with you... Not very elegant, but if it can deliver enough current that should work. I've imported mine from Japan, because I consider it unusable without built-in battery

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,120 of 1,929
If you have it plugged into your pc, can you use it 24/7 without having to charge it ever?

As far as I know: yes. I don't use it that way though, so I can't guarantee that. You may want to look for the manual and flip through it, I think that should be mentioned in there

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,121 of 1,929

13. now everything works!

Apparently 1st install player was some how bound to original driver.

Perhaps not! After a couple hours of working as expected, back to original behavior ... "strong hiss and music of very poor quality (barely audible)". Installed player and driver on Windows laptop (Windows 7 64bit), everything works fine. Maybe DSD on mac book pro / yosemite osx is a no go. Got a phone number from Sony online support. I'll try that next.

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,122 of 1,929

If you have it plugged into your pc, can you use it 24/7 without having to charge it ever?

Keep in mind that there are two Micro-USB connectors on the PHA-3. One for input and one for charging. I wonder if you would have to connect the charging port to a (2nd) USB port on the PC or, alternatively, a separate USB Power Adapter (cheap). Device comes w/ one Micro-USB to USB Cable for input. Same cable will work for charging, but maybe wise to get a separate Micro-USB to USB Cable (also cheap).

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #1,123 of 1,929
Hi guys! I'm new to the world of hi-fi audio so I have a question for you. Does it matter which portable player to use as transport for PHA-3: Sony A15 or Sony ZX100? Will sound with ZX100 be better than with A15? Or the sound will be equal?

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #1,124 of 1,929
Just my two cents, but I also have the PHA-3 and I use iPod classic, zx2 and A17, and they all pretty much sound about the same, but if like the option of DSD well the ZX2 would be your only choice. And if 192/24 them ZX2 and A17.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #1,125 of 1,929
Just my two cents, but I also have the PHA-3 and I use iPod classic, zx2 and A17, and they all pretty much sound about the same, but if like the option of DSD well the ZX2 would be your only choice. And if 192/24 them ZX2 and A17.

Thanks! I'm choosing now between A15 and ZX100. If there is almost no difference between them when pairing with PHA-3 then I'd better take A15 and later invest in PHA-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

• purk
Back