Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Feb 20, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #601 of 1,922
beerchug.gif
 Yes, I think it is possible. The manual shows it takes 13.5w what is  about 2.6A maximum in working status, I am going to get a 3A adapter.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #602 of 1,922
Hi I'm new here as well, Been creeping through the forums for the last couple of days looking for a decent little set up for my iPhone. I'm already invested with the iPhone 6 so I'm not really looking to buy a new player but something that I can use with my pc/Mac/iphone6 but I don't want to over kill and pay for something I may not be able to experience due to limitations on the iPhone. I've been looking for cans as well (currently using ie80s) and I have my eyes on Grado's ps500e. Would appreciate a little guidance as in telling me if I'm throwing away my $$$ on the Sony psa3 paired with grado's ps500e and iphone6.

Those are exactly my concerns as well.  My order has been placed and once it comes in, I'll let you know my impressions.  I hope it does make a difference.  I'm using Sennheiser 580, Denon D600, UE Triple Fi and a variety of lower priced iems.  Since the only semi difficult to drive headphone i have is the Senn 580, I'm worried it might be the only headset I will hear a difference on, and due to the limits of the iphone digital out, I hope that the difference isn't just an increase in volume.  My justification for this purchase is that it is probably a big enough immediate jump into a dedicated headamp to really hear a difference from a stock iphone. Plus, the lower priced dac/amps would not have made a big enough difference.  Looking for that immediate wow impression.  But then again, this is my first foray into this so my justifications might be way off.  Feed back from any one using the current iphone line would be greatly appreciated.   

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #603 of 1,922

Those are exactly my concerns as well.  My order has been placed and once it comes in, I'll let you know my impressions.  I hope it does make a difference.  I'm using Sennheiser 580, Denon D600, UE Triple Fi and a variety of lower priced iems.  Since the only semi difficult to drive headphone i have is the Senn 580, I'm worried it might be the only headset I will hear a difference on, and due to the limits of the iphone digital out, I hope that the difference isn't just an increase in volume.  My justification for this purchase is that it is probably a big enough immediate jump into a dedicated headamp to really hear a difference from a stock iphone. Plus, the lower priced dac/amps would not have made a big enough difference.  Looking for that immediate wow impression.  But then again, this is my first foray into this so my justifications might be way off.  Feed back from any one using the current iphone line would be greatly appreciated.   

With the Pha3, you will get the best results in balanced drive.  I personally will reterminate my headphones with balanced jacks for the PHA3 to get the most out of them.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #604 of 1,922
With the Pha3, you will get the best results in balanced drive.  I personally will reterminate my headphones with balanced jacks for the PHA3 to get the most out of them.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a great idea. In fact, I now see that the balanced outs are definitely more powerful. I've been looking for dual balanced cables for my Senns and UE triple fi and cannot find any. Only see the ones for Sony cans which might work with my denon. is retermination a diy project?

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #605 of 1,922
  That's "normal".
When connected to PC/Mac, the volume can be set either by your computer/laptop or the PHA-3. So the green light can flash when volume is considered by PHA-3 as loud. When it's too loud, it can stop the music.
It's not a sign of malfunction if it's what you worry about. btw, you can test it out, it should stop blinking if you turn the volume down =)

Today it is flashing again (the other day I was playing for hours without the flash). I am connecting the PHA3 with the computer via two USB, one for sound input and the other for DC in. I am using the audio line out in the back to connect to a STAX SRM 727II amplifier. And I am using the Sony HIRES Player. The computer is an Imac. The PHA3 Sound level is set at min (I am using it as a DAC). The volume in the Imac is at min.

I am not worried. I just want to be sure I am not damaging the PHA3.....

Edit: it disconnected automatically after less than an hour playback....
I am using the AC adapter, no more flashing.....

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #606 of 1,922
Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a great idea. In fact, I now see that the balanced outs are definitely more powerful. I've been looking for dual balanced cables for my Senns and UE triple fi and cannot find any. Only see the ones for Sony cans which might work with my denon. is retermination a diy project?

You can do it as a diy project to save money. I reterminated all of my phones myself. I suggest you to reterminate your phones with a neutrik 4 pin xlr male jack and make a female 4 pin adapter to dual mini jacks for the pha-3. This way they will be compatible with standard 4-pin balanced headphone output on most balanced amps. You get noticeably better sound from the pha-3 out compared to it less powerful single-end output.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #611 of 1,922
  Just received my new Sony PHA3 and loving it.  The sound is fantastic, but will let it burn in a little more.  Also for those wondering, I am able to listen to it while it's charging. 

Still I don't it is charging.  It is likely run on AC main but not charging.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #614 of 1,922

You don't have the European version do you? 
Do you have the European version?  I watched a you tube video and it appears the European version doesn't come with a battery.

Mine is charging 
Mine is also charging...

Mine is an Asian unit purchased in Thailand.  It comes with a battery but it won't charge while connecting to a powerbank or USB charger and being turn on at the same time .  The unit will run on AC power/charger but battery will remain relatively at the same level after the charger is unplugged.  How can you tell that yours are charging?  Are you guys using a 2.4A charger?        

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #615 of 1,922

Mine is an Asian unit purchased in Thailand.  It comes with a battery but it won't charge while connecting to a powerbank or USB charger and being turn on at the same time .  The unit will run on AC power/charger but battery will remain relatively at the same level after the charger is unplugged.  How can you tell that yours are charging?  Are you guys using a 2.4A charger?        

yes, 2.4A

How I understood that it's charging at the same time.
You connect your pha-3 to this charger let's say half empty - the indicator is red (charging), you turn the pha-3 on - indicator is green (playback), after a while you turn it off (indicator is still red - charging)..after a couple of hours of listening to the music you turn the pha off again - indicator does not show any color anymore - battery is full! You turn the pha on - indicator flashes for 3 times confirming "full"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back