Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Feb 7, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #572 of 1,922
Mmm so it uses the higher current non mobile version
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks.

No wonder the battery life in dac/amp mode is kinda short
tongue.gif

Wonder if it's like the old Sony xa777es/xa9000es players where they use the dac channels in parallel/doubled up for stereo!

I sure hope so, but I can't confirm that.  I wish Sony is a little more open about stuff like this and their US website has a little more information about their highend products.  The UK, Japan, and Asian websites have a lot more useful information.  I really enjoy the PHA-3 but trust me the XA9000ES still sound much better in my book.  The line out on the PHA-3 is very good but still several notches below my NAD M51.  I need to bring out the XA9000ES from the box and listen to it again.

Just noticed it has two clocks also! (Like the upcoming ZX2 walkman !)
内部に2個のクロック発振を持ち(22.5792MHz、24.576MHz)

Nice catch!  Thanks for confirming that as well.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #574 of 1,922
Flagship ESS ES9018 and not a mobile version either.

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/PHA-3/feature_1.html

A quick Google and I think a few Chinese/Japanese/Russian/French sites list it as the high end ES9018S version.

And that ESS TECH is Prob already running it in parallel mode for stereo !

ES9018S SABRE32
Reference 32-bit 8 Channel Audio DAC
135db (mono)
133db (stereo)
129db (8ch)
http://www.esstech.com/?p=products_DAC

So the only future upgrade I can envision for a "PHA-4" is dual ES9018S chips running in mono (135db)

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #575 of 1,922
Hi there, I am now playing the PHA 3AC as a DAC from my Imac to my Stax SR009. The green light is flashing all the time, playing the whole evening like that and no problem. The green light is continuos just when starting to use it but very fast goes to flashing. I am using the USB to power it. Remember the EU version hash´t got a battery so the green light flashing has nothing to do with the battery!! 

Any idea what the flashing means?

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #576 of 1,922
  Hi there, I am now playing the PHA 3AC as a DAC from my Imac to my Stax SR009. The green light is flashing all the time, playing the whole evening like that and no problem. The green light is continuos just when starting to use it but very fast goes to flashing. I am using the USB to power it. Remember the EU version hash´t got a battery so the green light flashing has nothing to do with the battery!! 

Any idea what the flashing means?

That's "normal".
When connected to PC/Mac, the volume can be set either by your computer/laptop or the PHA-3. So the green light can flash when volume is considered by PHA-3 as loud. When it's too loud, it can stop the music.
It's not a sign of malfunction if it's what you worry about. btw, you can test it out, it should stop blinking if you turn the volume down =)

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #580 of 1,922
I'm seriously considering buying the PHA-3. My current set up is, Sony MDR-1RNC Headphones, Sony Hi Res Walkman F886 & Fiio E12.
Would I vastly improve this set up with the PHA-3 ? I would assume / hope so ? Also, for balanced connection, would I have to change my headphones, i.e. have to buy the Z7's, or something similar ?
Any advice, much appreciated.

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #581 of 1,922
  I'm seriously considering buying the PHA-3. My current set up is, Sony MDR-1RNC Headphones, Sony Hi Res Walkman F886 & Fiio E12.
Would I vastly improve this set up with the PHA-3 ? I would assume / hope so ? Also, for balanced connection, would I have to change my headphones, i.e. have to buy the Z7's, or something similar ?
Any advice, much appreciated.

Yes it will be a noticeable upgrade especially in balanced mode.  To get the most out of your PHA-3 you will need to reterminate your phones and driving them in a balance configuration.  In single-ended, it is very good and should be a step up from the E12.  What you will notice when comparing balanced to single-end is that the soundstage width & depth as well as imaging will be much improved.  Musical details are also easier to hear and music is more enveloping.  What you are getting from the PHA-3 is a really good DAC and portable amp in one chassis with excellent fit & finish.  I highly recommended you getting the A17 for more storage though.  Yes, the Z7 is a great choice if you want to get the PHA-3 but easier drives phones are all great match with the Sony.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #583 of 1,922
  I want to make a balanced cable for my ATH-IM03, but I don't know witch 2 pole in 3.5mm jack are used in PHA-3 balanced output? Please help me, thank you.
bigsmile_face.gif

For TRS adapter:

Tip = Signal
Sleeve = Ground

do the same on left & right channel.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #585 of 1,922
  Yes it will be a noticeable upgrade especially in balanced mode.  To get the most out of your PHA-3 you will need to reterminate your phones and driving them in a balance configuration.  In single-ended, it is very good and should be a step up from the E12.  What you will notice when comparing balanced to single-end is that the soundstage width & depth as well as imaging will be much improved.  Musical details are also easier to hear and music is more enveloping.  What you are getting from the PHA-3 is a really good DAC and portable amp in one chassis with excellent fit & finish.  I highly recommended you getting the A17 for more storage though.  Yes, the Z7 is a great choice if you want to get the PHA-3 but easier drives phones are all great match with the Sony.

Thanks purk, for your feedback. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by reterminate ? I assume you mean I couldn't use my present phones for balanced connection, or would need to buy a balanced cable in order to do so ?
I'm still very tempted to buy one. Do you think the high cost is justified, even though you give it a glowing review ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back