Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Feb 6, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #556 of 1,929
  This is my case.  it is easy to check. Connect your not fully charged/empty pha-3 to the power source (2.4 A usb wall charger in my case) and turn it OFF  - red flashes, turn it ON - green indicator flashes. Play music for 1-2 hours,  turn it off after each 30 minutes to see. In the end after a couple of hours (depending on how empty the battery was) the red indicator will disappear after you turn you pha off - meaning the battery is full - this is how I understood that it is charging during a playback..

I don't know but it may not work in case you charge it from the PC/laptop usb port with a very low Amps and the pha-3 will be consuming the power faster than getting it from the usb port...but it really works for a 2,4 Amp charger

BTW, the Manual says : 

Charging the battery via an AC outlet
  1. You can use the headphone amplifier while charging its battery via an AC outlet.

Charging the battery via a computer
  1. You can use the headphone amplifier while charging its battery via a computer.
  2. The battery can be charged via an AC outlet by using the recommended USB AC adaptor (AC-UD20) (sold separately). Charging is completed in about 6 hours.

the manual http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/pha-3/v1/en1/cover/level3_05.html

I'll try again tomorrow but I connected a 2.1 amp charger to the PHA-3 when the battery life began to flash.  An hour had past, I removed the charger and the battery indicator light continued to flash; hence, my reason to conclude that the PHA3 will not charged unless the unit is completely turned off.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #557 of 1,929
  I'll try again tomorrow but I connected a 2.1 amp charger to the PHA-3 when the battery life began to flash.  An hour had past, I removed the charger and the battery indicator light continued to flash; hence, my reason to conclude that the PHA3 will not charged unless the unit is completely turned off.

Well if it's almost empty you need 5-6 hours to fully charge it but you can play music at the same time and the battery will not die if your charger is connected.
When green flashes means almost empty, right? And it will normally die after 10-15 minutes or less. So connect the charger and play music and see what happens.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #558 of 1,929
  Well if it's almost empty you need 5-6 hours to fully charge it but you can play music at the same time and the battery will not die if your charger is connected.
When green flashes means almost empty, right? And it will normally die after 10-15 minutes or less. So connect the charger and play music and see what happens.

Read the post above mine.  He claimed that he is able to charge the PHA3 while playing.  That was not the case for my 2.1A charger.  I'll run down the battery of PHA3 tonight and test it tomorrow and report back.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #559 of 1,929
purkThx man. I would run this test but since only PHA-3AC is abailable in Europe, regular japanese version units have been sent back to Japan.

English manual have contractions since it says it can be charged only when turn off then hint you can use it while charging lol there is a translation issue here

From what I know, normally it's not designed to be charge and play at the same time coz pha-3 will be over heating.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #560 of 1,929
I wish they will. Have you listened to that new sabre chip? Does it sound significantly better than their older chip?

ESS tech showed the new dac chip at last month's CES SHOW.

Has 129db vs 127db of the previous mobile chip

As a replacement for the ESS 9018k2m chip
(The same dac in the Pono)

I don't remember what version of the 9018 is inside the pha3 tho, I'm assuming it's a mobile version tho

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #563 of 1,929
Analog connection: Approx. 28 hours*2
Digital (balanced) connection: Approx. 5 hours*2
*2 when using the headphone amplifier at 1 mW + 1 mW output (24 Ω). Time may vary, depending on the immediate environment or conditions of use.
Hint
You can use the headphone amplifier while charging its battery via a computer
The battery can be charged via an AC outlet by using the recommended USB AC adaptor (AC-UD20) (sold separately). Charging is completed in about 6 hours.
Note
The charge will continue for about 10 hours, then the timer function of the charge protection circuit will stop the charging. If you want to continue charging, disconnect and reconnect the micro-USB cable.
When the headphone amplifier had not been used for a long time, it may take a while for the POWER/CHG indicator to light up in red. In this case, do not disconnect the micro-USB cable from the headphone amplifier. Wait until the POWER/CHG indicator lights up in red.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #565 of 1,929

Did this at work today and mine will not charge while playing.  The green light continue to blink after disconnecting from power source (2.1 amp powerbank).  Length of time was more than 4 hours.
@purkThx man. I would run this test but since only PHA-3AC is abailable in Europe, regular japanese version units have been sent back to Japan.

English manual have contractions since it says it can be charged only when turn off then hint you can use it while charging lol there is a translation issue here

From what I know, normally it's not designed to be charge and play at the same time coz pha-3 will be over heating.

This make sense about the heat issue.  The PHA-3 runs quite hot by itself.  I don't have the 2.4 amp charger so all that I'm able to do is that my unit won't charge while in operation with 2.1 amp charger connected.  The PHA3 can run off external battery source without a problem though.
I would like to assume that it's possible to charge while playing. Try different USB cables and better batteries.

I don't so, at least on my unit tested with 2.1A charger while playing music.

Send an email to Sony. I will do the same.

Flagship ESS ES9018 and not a mobile version either.

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/PHA-3/feature_1.html

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #566 of 1,929
Did this at work today and mine will not charge while playing.  The green light continue to blink after disconnecting from power source (2.1 amp powerbank).  Length of time was more than 4 hours.

This make sense about the heat issue.  The PHA-3 runs quite hot by itself.  I don't have the 2.4 amp charger so all that I'm able to do is that my unit won't charge while in operation with 2.1 amp charger connected.  The PHA3 can run off external battery source without a problem though.
I don't so, at least on my unit tested with 2.1A charger while playing music.

Flagship ESS ES9018 and not a mobile version either.

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/PHA-3/feature_1.html

Nope, there is a moblie version of new Sabre chip as well.

They have upgraded the whole range of their chips. Light Harmonics Geek Wave will feature the mobile version of upgraded Sabre. Research before comment.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #567 of 1,929
Nope, there is a moblie version of new Sabre chip as well.

They have upgraded the whole range of their chips. Light Harmonics Geek Wave will feature the mobile version of upgraded Sabre. Research before comment.

I did and I know that there is a "mobile" version as well.  Sony listed it as ESS ES9018, so what do you want me to say?  I even open up my PHA-3 to confirm that it has the ESS ES9018 in it.  Do you even own one of this?

BTW, it is confirmed that the PHA-3 does have the highend version of the ESS ES9018 (8 channel).  BTW, this "KOJI" guy is the guy who inspected and signed each of Sony MDR-R10 ever made.  So have you done your research?

http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/products_pa/tech3.html

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #568 of 1,929
Mmm so it uses the higher current non mobile version :) thanks.

No wonder the battery life in dac/amp mode is kinda short :p

Wonder if it's like the old Sony xa777es/xa9000es players where they use the dac channels in parallel/doubled up for stereo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back