Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Jan 23, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #436 of 1,929
  Your Denon 7100 has 4-wire conductor so it should be able to (most dual side cable models do).  All you have to do is to rewire the amplifier input end with a balanced jack(s).  I advise you to rewire the stock connector with 4-pin male XLR.  Then make a 4-pin balanced female to dual 1/8" mini jacks on the PHA-3 end.  The 4-pin balanced adapter will be very handy when you want to connect other headphones to the PHA-3 balanced output.  

Below are my DIY adapter & upgraded cable to connect the Z7 to the PHA-3.  Notice the adapter to the left.  This adapter will allow any headphones that is terminated with 4-pin balanced to connect to the balanced output of the PHA-3.  BTW, the single-ended (SE) on the PHA3 is actually very good for a portable amp; however; it is only "good" when compared to dedicated desktop amp.  My point is that if you are going to buy the PHA-3, you will need to utilize the balanced output for the best sound quality to make it worth your money.  If you are only going to use SE output, I think you can get away with other portable dac/amp for less money.

Mind blown, this is too complicated for me lol...

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #437 of 1,929
^^^ I did something similar (well BTG did....lol) except using mini 4 pin XLR.  Less weighty, but then I did need a adapter to go to regular 4 pin XLR...

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #438 of 1,929
Quick update for everyone, I think there are more other comments appearing on similar vein but I can confirm there is a 70 gram weight difference between European and Japan or US variants. So the reason my devices didn't charge was they couldn't, be ause they don't have a battery, which obviously weighs 70 grams.

Thre may be a good reason for this to do with some countries not allowing general post to handle Lithium Ion batteries but frankly this is no different to. mobile phone. Personally I thnink sony are making a mistake but they will see the outcome in their sales figures so they can judge how the market votes with its wallet

I echo a number of comments about the build quality of this unit, it's great and has a nice pro audio feel, for the PHA-4 my desire would be a version that is the same size as an iPhone 6, about 10mm thick and able to take its settings from an app on the iPhone.. And off couse I pray someone can make hi res audio source music really easy to get and swap out my old world CD lossless.

For me it's now down to getting a Japanese import and just to share what I've found on pricing, you can see the PhA-3 listed around $800 point which translates to UK £520 kind of price, but the VaT in import is 20% and there seems to be a UK Duty of 5% that applies to audio playback equipment. Anyone know if this is correct.

All the import sites have statements in the lower end of their adverts that say the courier will collect these fees on import.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #439 of 1,929
Quick update for everyone, I think there are more other comments appearing on similar vein but I can confirm there is a 70 gram weight difference between European and Japan or US variants. So the reason my devices didn't charge was they couldn't, be ause they don't have a battery, which obviously weighs 70 grams.

Thre may be a good reason for this to do with some countries not allowing general post to handle Lithium Ion batteries but frankly this is no different to. mobile phone. Personally I thnink sony are making a mistake but they will see the outcome in their sales figures so they can judge how the market votes with its wallet

I echo a number of comments about the build quality of this unit, it's great and has a nice pro audio feel, for the PHA-4 my desire would be a version that is the same size as an iPhone 6, about 10mm thick and able to take its settings from an app on the iPhone.. And off couse I pray someone can make hi res audio source music really easy to get and swap out my old world CD lossless.

For me it's now down to getting a Japanese import and just to share what I've found on pricing, you can see the PhA-3 listed around $800 point which translates to UK £520 kind of price, but the VaT in import is 20% and there seems to be a UK Duty of 5% that applies to audio playback equipment. Anyone know if this is correct.

All the import sites have statements in the lower end of their adverts that say the courier will collect these fees on import.

Some exporters will mark value of item down if you ask.
With regard lack of battery and unclear marketing of this fact then shame on Sony Europe.
Consider an ifi micro at 415 pounds. Not balanced but superior in all ways apart from build.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #440 of 1,929
Some exporters will mark value of item down if you ask.
With regard lack of battery and unclear marketing of this fact then shame on Sony Europe.
Consider an ifi micro at 415 pounds. Not balanced but superior in all ways apart from build.

The fact is that the balanced output is a differentiator of the pha-3. If not used then it makes sense to buy something cheaper.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #443 of 1,929
Sony IEMs

H2
H3
Z5
A2
A3

Can be used with the PHA 3

I'm interested in getting a A3 or even an A2 myself as the design is different compaired to the H2(one Balance armature, A2 has two!) and H3 (A3 seams virtually the same spec as Z5)

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #444 of 1,929
Sony IEMs

H2
H3
Z5
A2
A3

Can be used with the PHA 3

I'm interested in getting a A3 or even an A2 myself as the design is different compaired to the H2(one Balance armature, A2 has two!) and H3 (A3 seams virtually the same spec as Z5)

So which balanced cables do they each take? The one from the Z5 works on all of them?

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #445 of 1,929

So which balanced cables do they each take? The one from the Z5 works on all of them?

here is an advanced balanced cable from Sony. In the upper right coner all models mentioned above are listed

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #447 of 1,929
I've got to say thanks for the-recommendation, really pleased to get pointed at what looks like a fantastic product, am buying one and will report back

I had not heard of Ifi, previously only trying fiio which I really liked for cheap and cheerful, but they never paid Apple to add the iDevice processing and decryption functions.
Th reviews of Ifi seem fantastic, the fact that it compares so favourably to the Chord Hugo which is over 4x the price is fantastic
I also can't bring myself to buy the Sony now, purely because they made a decision to remove the battery in Euopre which tells me they are capable of making stupid decisions and I now wonder what else they can't figure out

For anyone looking at Ifi I've read a lot on them now and the thing that jumps out is that they have a crowd source kind of approach to building the specs on their new iDSD Micro headphone DAC, as a professional product manager I love the way they have worked out wha the market will pay for then used their audio skills to excel on the musicality and definition of the sounds they aim to recreate. There are infinite arguments over what makes true sound accuracy on the DAC, but from my own DSP experience on satellite systems you find that clock purity is a huge hidden issue since it drives spectral smearing, but you need immensely expensive equipment to see inside these issues. So it's always a debate topic and people will try to rank other issues r relative to it, which is great because we all learn from each other. What caught my eye was the sub pico second jitter specs on the clocks Ifi use and I'm ready to be proved wrong but that seems unusually important.

I also read a note that there is no reconstruction filter on the bit-perfect output but I can't say I have pieced together the point here since her isa clear purpose to reconstruction, ie you need to stop the high frequency mirror images folding down to the baseband and encouraging inter modulation, but perhaps the over sampling is now so high it's irrelevant. keen to learn more since I confess I'm getting old and out of date but the Ifi story got me re-engaged with the topic, which says a lot.

final note on the comment about some companies writing down the value of imports to try to get lower tax and duty bills. Perhaps this works sometimes, but it seems risky since you don't want to put yourself in a compromised position if the Customs guys start paying you attention and worst of all, any importers that do it will be blacklisted if caught, so you need to wonder how much they value their business sticking around in the future. WHat I saw of the better looking importers was tat the well rated ones are happy to claim many years trading, show a picture of their offices and even describe how they came into being and what they do for customers.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #448 of 1,929
I've got to say thanks for the-recommendation, really pleased to get pointed at what looks like a fantastic product, am buying one and will report back

I had not heard of Ifi, previously only trying fiio which I really liked for cheap and cheerful, but they never paid Apple to add the iDevice processing and decryption functions.
Th reviews of Ifi seem fantastic, the fact that it compares so favourably to the Chord Hugo which is over 4x the price is fantastic
I also can't bring myself to buy the Sony now, purely because they made a decision to remove the battery in Euopre which tells me they are capable of making stupid decisions and I now wonder what else they can't figure out

For anyone looking at Ifi I've read a lot on them now and the thing that jumps out is that they have a crowd source kind of approach to building the specs on their new iDSD Micro headphone DAC, as a professional product manager I love the way they have worked out wha the market will pay for then used their audio skills to excel on the musicality and definition of the sounds they aim to recreate. There are infinite arguments over what makes true sound accuracy on the DAC, but from my own DSP experience on satellite systems you find that clock purity is a huge hidden issue since it drives spectral smearing, but you need immensely expensive equipment to see inside these issues. So it's always a debate topic and people will try to rank other issues r relative to it, which is great because we all learn from each other. What caught my eye was the sub pico second jitter specs on the clocks Ifi use and I'm ready to be proved wrong but that seems unusually important.

I also read a note that there is no reconstruction filter on the bit-perfect output but I can't say I have pieced together the point here since her isa clear purpose to reconstruction, ie you need to stop the high frequency mirror images folding down to the baseband and encouraging inter modulation, but perhaps the over sampling is now so high it's irrelevant. keen to learn more since I confess I'm getting old and out of date but the Ifi story got me re-engaged with the topic, which says a lot.

final note on the comment about some companies writing down the value of imports to try to get lower tax and duty bills. Perhaps this works sometimes, but it seems risky since you don't want to put yourself in a compromised position if the Customs guys start paying you attention and worst of all, any importers that do it will be blacklisted if caught, so you need to wonder how much they value their business sticking around in the future. WHat I saw of the better looking importers was tat the well rated ones are happy to claim many years trading, show a picture of their offices and even describe how they came into being and what they do for customers.

Look forward to your thoughts when you get it. The more I listen the more I think the ifi idsd wipes the floor with the PHA. I rate it as good as the Hugo.
Plus it has a massive battery.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #449 of 1,929
No hiss at all on my unit. I think its great for iems. Output impedance is around 3 ohm, so it should work all right with most of them.

Thanks for the info, I was looking for this and as usual, not published by the manfacturer...
Makes sense that sony would make it work with its current IEM lineup :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back