Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Jan 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #421 of 1,922
guys, quick question, at the time of arrival  was your product sealed?  mine was just packed in the box  without any seal.  is this normal for sony? or did i received display product? just curious. 

how can i get  from serial number  product  info?

thanks. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #422 of 1,922
Amazon UK has cut the price of the MDR-Z7 headphones (meant to pair with PHA-3 with included balanced cables) substantially. 

It's now selling for 339 pounds, down from 550 pounds.

If you are in the US, the price is a LOT lower because we don't have to pay VAT, bringing the price down (including import tax and AmazonGlobal Priority shipping, only a few days to the U.S.) to 319 pounds... equivalent to about $485 dollars.  (U.S. price is $699).

Here's the link...I am eagerly awaiting my pair!

http://amzn.to/1CeJn7y

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #423 of 1,922
  Amazon UK has cut the price of the MDR-Z7 headphones (meant to pair with PHA-3 with included balanced cables) substantially. 

It's now selling for 339 pounds, down from 550 pounds.

If you are in the US, the price is a LOT lower because we don't have to pay VAT, bringing the price down (including import tax and AmazonGlobal Priority shipping, only a few days to the U.S.) to 319 pounds... equivalent to about $485 dollars.  (U.S. price is $699).

Here's the link...I am eagerly awaiting my pair!

http://amzn.to/1CeJn7y

Nice price.  Wonder if Sony will show any love to the US customer.  I bought mine for $500 so I'm not feeling that badly about my price.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #424 of 1,922
Not meaning to be contentious but for those ZX1 owners looking to save some money I have been trying out the ZX1 with the IFI Nano iDSD
and I have to say I give it the edge over the PHA 3. Admittedly it does not have the flexibility as USB only, but then so is the ZX1.
I was pleasantly surprised as 160 pounds plays 720 pounds in the UK.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #425 of 1,922
Is the PHA-3 the best portable, battery driven, DAC/AMP at the moment? They price point and the features suggest so. What are other options? At the moment I am searching for a DAC/AMP.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #426 of 1,922
  Is the PHA-3 the best portable, battery driven, DAC/AMP at the moment? They price point and the features suggest so. What are other options? At the moment I am searching for a DAC/AMP.

PHA-3, Geek Out, Oppo HA-2 (Coming soon), and Calyx F (coming soon) are the only 32bit / 382kHz DSD capable portable DAC under 750 dollars at the moment.

There are other good ones but they don't support full DXD / DSD.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #427 of 1,922
  PHA-3, Geek Out, Oppo HA-2 (Coming soon), and Calyx F (coming soon) are the only 32bit / 382kHz DSD capable portable DAC under 750 dollars at the moment.

There are other good ones but they don't support full DXD / DSD.

Hahaha kawaivpc1, thank you for answering.

You probably know, why I ask this question. There is a certain setup, that I want to build... :wink:

At the moment, I lean towards the ifi micro.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #429 of 1,922
Hahaha kawaivpc1, thank you for answering.

You probably know, why I ask this question. There is a certain setup, that I want to build... :wink:

At the moment, I lean towards the ifi micro.

Ifi Micro is pretty big. Remember that.
I think it's kinda weird to take that around outside.

Do you want to build that Samsung Note 4 mod? lol

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #431 of 1,922

How power hungry of a headphone do you want to push?  And what are you planning to pair it with?  The PHA-3 does look awesome to me too, but I doubt It'll be the best with harder to drive headphones...

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #432 of 1,922
How power hungry of a headphone do you want to push?  And what are you planning to pair it with?  The PHA-3 does look awesome to me too, but I doubt It'll be the best with harder to drive headphones...

Most of the time the limited ATHs esw9 and esw11. TH600 and something new I do not have yet, instead of the Th600.

Actually I liked the PHA-2, but something was missing. I sold it and Now I have to fill the gap.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #433 of 1,922
  Not meaning to be contentious but for those ZX1 owners looking to save some money I have been trying out the ZX1 with the IFI Nano iDSD
and I have to say I give it the edge over the PHA 3. Admittedly it does not have the flexibility as USB only, but then so is the ZX1.
I was pleasantly surprised as 160 pounds plays 720 pounds in the UK.

IMO, the PHA3 does give a good value for the money if you plan to use balanced output paired with easier to drive phones.  IMO, the single-end output on the  PHA3 is good but not great.  The balanced output sounds noticeably better and highly recommended IMO.  The PHA-3 can drive a 300 ohms Senn HD-800 okay but it lacks dynamics compared a dedicated home amp.  It able to drive my Sony MDR-CD3000 & Z7 very very well.  In fact, the PHA3 pair amazingly well with my CD3000.

Most of the time the limited ATHs esw9 and esw11. TH600 and something new I do not have yet, instead of the Th600.

Actually I liked the PHA-2, but something was missing. I sold it and Now I have to fill the gap.

Yes, the PHA-2 was nice but the PHA3 is much nicer.  Based on mentioned headphones above, I think the PHA3 will be a good candidate for you.  Make sure to reterminate all your phones with balanced jacks though to get the most  out of the PHA3.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #435 of 1,922
  OK but how many headphone actually support balanced output? I have Denon D7100 and the cables are detachable and it comes with 2 single ended cables...

Your Denon 7100 has 4-wire conductor so it should be able to (most dual side cable models do).  All you have to do is to rewire the amplifier input end with a balanced jack(s).  I advise you to rewire the stock connector with 4-pin male XLR.  Then make a 4-pin balanced female to dual 1/8" mini jacks on the PHA-3 end.  The 4-pin balanced adapter will be very handy when you want to connect other headphones to the PHA-3 balanced output.  

Below are my DIY adapter & upgraded cable to connect the Z7 to the PHA-3.  Notice the adapter to the left.  This adapter will allow any headphones that is terminated with 4-pin balanced to connect to the balanced output of the PHA-3.  BTW, the single-ended (SE) on the PHA3 is actually very good for a portable amp; however; it is only "good" when compared to dedicated desktop amp.  My point is that if you are going to buy the PHA-3, you will need to utilize the balanced output for the best sound quality to make it worth your money.  If you are only going to use SE output, I think you can get away with other portable dac/amp for less money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back