Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Jan 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #361 of 1,922
How would you guys compare Sony PHA-3 to Geek Out, iDSD, Hugo, and Explorer 2?
I'm in love with my Geek Out 1000.
Is PHA-3 better than Geek Out?
How does it sound? does it have a wide sound stage?

When used with the ZX1 and the Z7 the PHA 3 compares favourably with the Hugo. The advantage the Hugo has is in battery life and flexibility. If I mix and match equipment then Hugo is winner. All Sony and PHA 3 is not outclassed.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #362 of 1,922
I just picked up the MDR-A1. I hope it blends well / improves with the PHA-3 in balanced mode. It should as they are both Sony house sound products in theory. Later on when I have the money I'd like to try the MDR-Z7 as well.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #363 of 1,922
Sony made the PHA-3 way too expensive, its price tag doubles the PHA-2. 

What real upgrades does the PHA-3 brings to the table over the PHA-2 other than balanced outputs? I find it hard to justify the extra $500 just for balanced outputs especially where most headphones out there won't support it.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #364 of 1,922

What real upgrades does the PHA-3 brings to the table over the PHA-2 other than balanced outputs? I find it hard to justify the extra $500 just for balanced outputs especially where most headphones out there won't support it.

It's a much better sounding unit to my ears. It has a fuller and more refined bass and the clarity/detail is nothing short of superb. You can hear all the nuances in the singers voice, the soundstage is wide and it sounds like you have your own private concert playing right next to you.

It's hands down one of the best purchases I've made along with my JH13 Pro's. They're a match made in heaven with the ZX1.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #365 of 1,922

PHA-2 is a garbage. It doesn't sound any better than desktop's normal headphone out. Maybe slightly better, but it doesn't worth $599. Don't even buy it. I have used it for few months and sold it. It didn't improve anything on my iPod, laptop, desktop, etc. Its ASIO driver is terrible and doesn't work well on DAWs.
I bought a Geek Out 1000 for 300 dollars. Now, it sounds so much better than what PHA-2 will ever sound.
Geek Out has a big sound stage, clarity, and details. PHA-2 has nothing.
I have tested the units with HD650, SRH1840 and a bunch of 24bit 192kHz FLAC / WAV files.

I hope PHA-3 is better than Geek Out and PHA-2.
So far, I see more positive reviews.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #366 of 1,922
  PHA-2 is a garbage. It doesn't sound any better than desktop's normal headphone out. Maybe slightly better, but it doesn't worth $599. Don't even buy it. I have used it for few months and sold it. It didn't improve anything on my iPod, laptop, desktop, etc. Its ASIO driver is terrible and doesn't work well on DAWs.
I bought a Geek Out 1000 for 300 dollars. Now, it sounds so much better than what PHA-2 will ever sound.
I have tested the units with HD650, SRH1840 and a bunch of 24bit 192kHz FLAC / WAV files.

I'd say you stick with your geek and leave the PHA3 alone.  I for one think the PHA-2 is a good sounding portable DAC/Amp combo and I feel that the PHA3 is a nice jump in sound quality department.  Also, the PHA3 has a true 9018 DAC and not an "economized" version of the 9018.  I can agree with you if you think that the Geek Out has more power thus driving the HD650 better, but for you to say that it doesn't sound any better than your sound card/ipod output is just not reasonable.  FYI, I had the PHA2 as well and it sounded very nice with lower impedance phones.  Sony optimized the PHA2 for lower impedance phones and not higher impedance phones like the HD650.  

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #367 of 1,922
even if buy the PHA-3, where am I suppose to get 3.5mm jack balanced cables for non-Sony headphones? Would I be able to run my Denon d7100 in balanced mode? It's got detachable 3.5mm jacks on both sides just like the MDR z7

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #371 of 1,922
70Quote:

I had a couple issues with the PHA-2 upon initial setup with some audible popping and cracking in the audio signal. Turned out that the issue was because of a faulty USB port on my desktop. Never had any hiccups after switching to working port afterwards.  

ASIO setup was trouble free for me, just a quick install and switching of audio renderer in Windows. WASAPI worked as well. What issues have you encountered with the ASIO drivers?

purk is spot on about the pairings with higher impedance headphones with the PHA-2. For me the MDR-SA5000 (70 ohms) wasn't a brilliant pairing with the PHA-2. I got the sense that SA5000s were not being driven to their potential as compared to a desktop amp. The volume pot was set to about 80% to full before I got to a level that satisfied me. 

It is a different matter altogether with IEMs. Sounded just as good as the NW-ZX1, if not with a greater sense of dynamics and sound staging.

Perhaps the initial $599 price of admission was a little high, but with the discounting of the street price post PHA-3 release (I was able to purchase my unit for under $400) the PHA-2 is worth considering. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #374 of 1,922
  Is there any way to use PHA-3 with an android cellphone or tablet?

Only with line in input or you need to switch to Sony Xperia phones.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #375 of 1,922

Yes - with the headphone  - line-in (3.5mm cable).

Only with line in input or you need to switch to Sony Xperia phones.

So, how does line input sound compared to USB input?
Does it make similar sound quality through PHA-3?
I'm an android fan. I don't have an iPhone or iPad at the moment. I wonder why Sony guys didn't put an android USB input on PHA-3. :frowning2:

Isn't there any iOS USB to Android USB converter cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back