Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Dec 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #348 of 1,922
How does Sony new amp stack up against the Mini M8 in power, warmth, and DAC? Looking for a nice warm portable DAC headphone amp for CIEMs and the Audio Technica MSR7.

How is the DAC? Can it be used as just a DAC to another amp?

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #349 of 1,922
Another data point.  The Sony MDR-CD3000 sounds very superb out of the PHA-3 via its balanced output.  The combo sounds super super nice.  

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #350 of 1,922
Hi

I am "Newbie" on Head-Fi But would be grateful for any advice on importing the PHA-3 (with battery!) into the UK.

I have come across "grey" market suppliers such as PriceJapan & Accessory Jack and wondered if they were safe and/or reliable.  Are there any other suppliers that you know would recommend?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #351 of 1,922
  Hi

I am "Newbie" on Head-Fi But would be grateful for any advice on importing the PHA-3 (with battery!) into the UK.

I have come across "grey" market suppliers such as PriceJapan & Accessory Jack and wondered if they were safe and/or reliable.  Are there any other suppliers that you know would recommend?

Thank you for your help in advance.

I got mine from PriceJapan and the service was fantastic, order away with confidence.

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #354 of 1,922
I am listening to my ZX1 through the PHA 3 using the Sony Z7 with balanced cables. It sounds superb and all three have great synergy.
As good as my AK240 through Hugo with Shure 846.
But and quite a big but. Battery life on the ZX1 using digital output is dire. Maybe as low as three hours with HD tracks. Maybe 4 hours with red book flac.
AK240 and Hugo gives me double the listening time.
Yet ZX1 line out gives 20 hours.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #355 of 1,922
I am listening to my ZX1 through the PHA 3 using the Sony Z7 with balanced cables. It sounds superb and all three have great synergy.
As good as my AK240 through Hugo with Shure 846.
But and quite a big but. Battery life on the ZX1 using digital output is dire. Maybe as low as three hours with HD tracks. Maybe 4 hours with red book flac.
AK240 and Hugo gives me double the listening time.
Yet ZX1 line out gives 20 hours.

Thanks for your input.  I have the ZX-1, PHA-3, and Z7 rig and I agree that they do sound very good together.  What I also did is upgraded the stock balanced cable with a good silver cable. This help tighten the bass while improved the clarity as well as bettering the soundstage.  Originally, I'm not to keen on the Z7 as I found them to be too bass heavy, but now they are considerably better and I'll keep them.  For the price that Sony is charging for the their upgrade cable, I suggest to get a good upgraded silver cable instead.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #356 of 1,922
Thanks for your input.  I have the ZX-1, PHA-3, and Z7 rig and I agree that they do sound very good together.  What I also did is upgraded the stock balanced cable with a good silver cable. This help tighten the bass while improved the clarity as well as bettering the soundstage.  Originally, I'm not to keen on the Z7 as I found them to be too bass heavy, but now they are considerably better and I'll keep them.  For the price that Sony is charging for the their upgrade cable, I suggest to get a good upgraded silver cable instead.

I note Moon Audio do balanced cables for the Z7. I like the Silver dragon ones I got for my W60 and service to UK is pretty good. So nice late late xmas present for me.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #357 of 1,922
How would you guys compare Sony PHA-3 to Geek Out, iDSD, Hugo, and Explorer 2?
I'm in love with my Geek Out 1000.
Is PHA-3 better than Geek Out?
How does it sound? does it have a wide sound stage?

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #358 of 1,922
  How would you guys compare Sony PHA-3 to Geek Out, iDSD, Hugo, and Explorer 2?
I'm in love with my Geek Out 1000.
Is PHA-3 better than Geek Out?
How does it sound? does it have a wide sound stage?

I've only heard the PHA-3, but looking at the reviews, the Geek Out 1000 seems to be pretty good. Have you thought about a full size desktop amp/dac? It might be a better deal for the money if you already have a Geek Out 1000. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #360 of 1,922

I've only heard the PHA-3, but looking at the reviews, the Geek Out 1000 seems to be pretty good. Have you thought about a full size desktop amp/dac? It might be a better deal for the money if you already have a Geek Out 1000. 

Geek Out is a great device. It works with android tablet with Lollipop OS. I don't need to put an external battery or Y cable. It's light, small, and convenient. It sounds better than DX100, R10, HM901, etc.
I wonder how Sony's PHA-3 sounds compared to GO 1000.
I had Sony's PHA-2. I think it wasn't better than desktop's headphone out. It was the most plain-sounding unit I've ever had. I sold it within three weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back